Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 08:39 AM

374 posts, read 545,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldoak2000 View Post
anything anywhere under $300k goes pretty fast (nobody is building new homes under $300k)

$350k + may have some competition with NEW homes (unless you have 1/2 acre or more lot)... and may take a bit longer (unless you're under $110/sq ft)
Yes. 1.2 acres. Our home was built in 2014, so we're new-ish
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2017, 03:44 PM

33 posts, read 35,350 times
Our sale has been moving along just fine UNTIL inspection. We had not noticed any issues with our HVAC, but the buyer had a separate team inspect our unit and they found a leaking evaporator coil. The buyer then asked for $3500 credit towards the sale. Now all of a sudden, all the R-22 has leaked out of the system after their inspection. No more cold air in the house. My warranty contractor inspects the part, and confirms the leak. I counter the buyer, with agreement to repair the system, because it's cheaper than the $3500 credit. Warranty contractor says they will repair for $1900 with warranty. "Joe Blow" says he will do it for $1800 without warranty. How can it be cheaper. I am not happy at this point. I have been paying a home warranty company for 3 years, no claims filed, yet they cant save me anything on a repair that's covered by the warranty. I had a long Memorial Day weekend with no cold air, 86 degrees in my house. Warranty company agreed to lower the repair price, (not much) but below the quote. New parts will be installed soon.

Moving forward to close date in June.

Old 05-31-2017, 08:48 AM

712 posts, read 831,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metrorider100 View Post
Our sale has been moving along just fine UNTIL inspection. We had not noticed any issues with our HVAC, but the buyer had a separate team inspect our unit and they found a leaking evaporator coil. The buyer then asked for $3500 credit towards the sale. Now all of a sudden, all the R-22 has leaked out of the system after their inspection. No more cold air in the house. My warranty contractor inspects the part, and confirms the leak. I counter the buyer, with agreement to repair the system, because it's cheaper than the $3500 credit. Warranty contractor says they will repair for $1900 with warranty. "Joe Blow" says he will do it for $1800 without warranty. How can it be cheaper. I am not happy at this point. I have been paying a home warranty company for 3 years, no claims filed, yet they cant save me anything on a repair that's covered by the warranty. I had a long Memorial Day weekend with no cold air, 86 degrees in my house. Warranty company agreed to lower the repair price, (not much) but below the quote. New parts will be installed soon.Moving forward to close date in June.
thanks for the update. Sorry for the troubles. If it's any consolation, R22 units are pretty outdated and a complete refill of the r22 gas alone is a few hundred dollars (r22 has been 'outlawed' by EPA Evap coil is about $500 (cost).
ALL hvac contractors charge labor at least same as what parts cost, even if work is 'easy', so thats how it gets to $1600+ quick (plus 'nother few hundred for $100 worth of supplies/misc). Be aware that any 'warranty' they give will only cover this 'new coil', and if anything else goes wrong (compressor goes out due to 'sloppy work' ) you'll get to pay full price ($thousands) for that too.

'home warranty' co's are a racket!- they take your ca$h up front, and then charge MORE for actual repairs (than a normal contractor would) because you are 'locked in' to using them to 'get the warranty' (as you have discovered). Imagine if you would have put that 3 years of money into a 'repairs' savings account instead.

Tough break; I had to give buyers $5000 credit to close deal when it was discovered aerobic septic system had an 'issue' (system was working fine, complied with regulations, no immediate need to do anything, but had a 'design flaw' that mfgr would not cover/repair because the '1-yr warranty was up'.

Last edited by oldoak2000; 05-31-2017 at 08:48 AM.. Reason: sp

Old 06-01-2017, 05:55 AM

11,818 posts, read 26,662,098 times
Yes, home warranties are almost useless especially for warranty repairs. As old oak says, just put that money in a repairs account and you will likely come it on the better end financially.

Old 06-01-2017, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldoak2000 View Post
thanks for the update. Sorry for the troubles. If it's any consolation, R22 units are pretty outdated and a complete refill of the r22 gas alone is a few hundred dollars (r22 has been 'outlawed' by EPA Evap coil is about $500 (cost).
ALL hvac contractors charge labor at least same as what parts cost, even if work is 'easy', so thats how it gets to $1600+ quick (plus 'nother few hundred for $100 worth of supplies/misc). Be aware that any 'warranty' they give will only cover this 'new coil', and if anything else goes wrong (compressor goes out due to 'sloppy work' ) you'll get to pay full price ($thousands) for that too.

'home warranty' co's are a racket!- they take your ca$h up front, and then charge MORE for actual repairs (than a normal contractor would) because you are 'locked in' to using them to 'get the warranty' (as you have discovered). Imagine if you would have put that 3 years of money into a 'repairs' savings account instead.

Tough break; I had to give buyers $5000 credit to close deal when it was discovered aerobic septic system had an 'issue' (system was working fine, complied with regulations, no immediate need to do anything, but had a 'design flaw' that mfgr would not cover/repair because the '1-yr warranty was up'.

Thanks for the advice. I have learned an expensive lesson. I listened to a lot of people that said "get a warranty". I should have asked them have they ever had any major repairs completed under a warranty program.

Old 06-01-2017, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Yes, home warranties are almost useless especially for warranty repairs. As old oak says, just put that money in a repairs account and you will likely come it on the better end financially.

Just set up a new bank account online to fund future repairs. I will be ready next time.

Old 06-03-2017, 08:42 AM

8,097 posts, read 8,229,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metrorider100 View Post
Our sale has been moving along just fine UNTIL inspection. We had not noticed any issues with our HVAC, but the buyer had a separate team inspect our unit and they found a leaking evaporator coil. The buyer then asked for $3500 credit towards the sale. Now all of a sudden, all the R-22 has leaked out of the system after their inspection. No more cold air in the house. My warranty contractor inspects the part, and confirms the leak. I counter the buyer, with agreement to repair the system, because it's cheaper than the $3500 credit. Warranty contractor says they will repair for $1900 with warranty. "Joe Blow" says he will do it for $1800 without warranty. How can it be cheaper. I am not happy at this point. I have been paying a home warranty company for 3 years, no claims filed, yet they cant save me anything on a repair that's covered by the warranty. I had a long Memorial Day weekend with no cold air, 86 degrees in my house. Warranty company agreed to lower the repair price, (not much) but below the quote. New parts will be installed soon.

Moving forward to close date in June.
Just curious about the reason given to you by the warranty company for NOT making the repair and covering your costs less the usual small upfront fee. I am considering renewing an AHS policy on a property right now so this is very relevant information for me.

Old 06-03-2017, 10:21 AM

7,105 posts, read 11,742,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
Just curious about the reason given to you by the warranty company for NOT making the repair and covering your costs less the usual small upfront fee. I am considering renewing an AHS policy on a property right now so this is very relevant information for me.
There's ALWAYS a "reason". I work with water softeners, and the warranty companies are experts at finding a way out of covering the repairs. Been doing this for forty years - have YET to see them cover a legitimate repair.

Old 06-03-2017, 11:24 AM

8,097 posts, read 8,229,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
There's ALWAYS a "reason". I work with water softeners, and the warranty companies are experts at finding a way out of covering the repairs. Been doing this for forty years - have YET to see them cover a legitimate repair.
So far AHS covered a garage door opener repair and a gas dryer. The warranty came with the house -- which has an old HVAC system. So that's why I was considering renewing when it expires. Still curious from the OP what exact reason given for not covering it.

Old 06-03-2017, 01:02 PM

7,105 posts, read 11,742,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
So far AHS covered a garage door opener repair and a gas dryer. The warranty came with the house -- which has an old HVAC system. So that's why I was considering renewing when it expires. Still curious from the OP what exact reason given for not covering it.
Better yet, tell folks what company YOU have - I DO know there are some out there that actually perform, but they're few and far between.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth