U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 07-21-2008, 06:11 AM

13,900 posts, read 24,210,474 times
no problem--just clarifying what I thought I read

but you might want to start your own thread with title indicting what you are checking out since you are only focused on BISD...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 03-31-2009, 08:51 PM

6 posts, read 9,245 times
To MSWANK
Please call the special education coordinator for the district and talk to them about this diagnosis by a doctor. The more information you have the better the district can serve your child. Don't feel like you are stepping on toes, do it for your child. If you are not satisfied by what you were told by the BISD school, I encourage you go a step farther to see what your options are. Better yet, call Central Admin. and make an appointment to speak with the Special Ed. coordinator and show the new data discussing your options.
Keller was having trouble being in compliance with special ed services. BISD follows the law strictly and are in compliance but there are always those cases that may need further looking into with new data.

Unread 03-31-2009, 09:02 PM

6 posts, read 9,245 times
To belcanto29
I love being an educator at Spicer. I believe we have the best special ed staff anywhere. We love our scholars and are always looking at ways to improve their experiences.
We live in Keller and my children have gone through Keller schools. I wish they had the opportunity to experience Spicer. My son who attended Keller at the time, would watch me prepare for the next day at Spicer and ask me to teach him some of the things I was teaching my students. He was 3 grades above my students at the time and had not been taught the entire curriculum he should have been taught.
I would strongly encourage you to visit Spicer and see what we are all about. We may not have the whistles and bells of some of the Keller schools but we have more love and concern for our students than anywhere I have ever been. We are ALL dedicated educators who truly love our scholars.

Unread 03-12-2010, 06:33 PM

1 posts, read 841 times
I'm currently going through the process of registering my 3 yr old autistic son in the keller ISD and need some guidance from someone that has already gone through this. He will be placed in a STAC program, but I was hoping that additional services could be provided as a suplement, like ABA therapy. Any suggestions as to how I can get Keller ISD to support & fund this idea?

Thank you.

Unread 03-12-2010, 08:05 PM

13,900 posts, read 24,210,474 times
normally you have to show that additional program is necessary -- not just desireable--
that would mean supporting input from diagnostician/doctor and probably not the one from the school diagnostician
they are not going to act on your suggestion/request alone

I don't know what the state/federal requirements are for a 3 yr old child--they differ from state to state I imagine since the child is not of legal attendance age...
note that the info on the first site is about a child of school age--not pre-school...

but found this site online
info on it might prove helpful

ABA Resources - How Can I Get Help for my Child?

and this one

FAPE - How Can I Get the School to Provide an Appropriate Program? - Wrightslaw.com

you have to be firm, knowledgeable, fairly unemotional, and persistant...
losing your temper is just going to be a step backwards...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth