Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2018, 06:56 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,214,194 times

Advertisements

One thing to understand is that county, city and school district lines aren't in sync. A city can be in multiple school districts and multiple counties. You really have to be careful when shopping because some of the national real estate websites don't have accurate info about those things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2018, 07:02 PM

211 posts, read 282,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
One thing to understand is that county, city and school district lines aren't in sync. A city can be in multiple school districts and multiple counties. You really have to be careful when shopping because some of the national real estate websites don't have accurate info about those things.
Understood. I was doing exactly what you are warning me to be careful about. I go to redfin.com and school down to the bottom of the link of the property which then gives me the school details. I was "trusting" that.

What is a better way to do it?

Old 04-29-2018, 06:40 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,214,194 times
1. You need a real estate agent on the ground that knows the areas. The areas you want to look at are so spread out you might want to talk to multiple agents at first until you've chosen an area to focus on. Everything is so spread out that it's hard for one agent to be very knowledgeable about all of the areas. For example, we live in a small town in the middle of Arlington. If the agent is from a different area he or she may not know to search for homes in our town if the person wants a home in our part of Arlington.

2. I've found the MLS search engine www.ebby.com to be more useful for local searches. It's not foolproof but at least it's run by a local agency.

Old 04-29-2018, 11:11 AM

Thanks, I will take a look. Will see how it goes with the employer. If it moves in the right direction, we will come for a visit. The issue is; I don't have any contacts there so even deciding on an area is a challenge i.e., a good starting point, zeroing in on specific towns etc.

Old 04-29-2018, 11:55 AM

Add:

The website you gave me is helpful. Here is a question: Sitting miles away and based on internet search and responses here we like Southlake, Keller, Colleyville for starters..not necessarily in that order. Public schools are very important to us

- Right now I commute about 45 mins one way. Is Southlake out of question i.e., commute be terrible?
- For Colleyville as an example, something like this is right about our taste. https://www.redfin.com/TX/Colleyvill.../home/67281282. How do I find out more about which schools is this attached to? Is there a way we can find out more exact property taxes, utility expense etc? OR take this https://www.redfin.com/TX/Southlake/.../home/52794427

Thanks

Last edited by westcoastbound1; 04-29-2018 at 12:06 PM..

Old 04-29-2018, 03:23 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,868,308 times
On the Colleyville house, if you scroll all the way down, you'll see school info. It's in Keller ISD, which is not as desirable as GCISD. That's probably why it's priced low.

The Southlake house is a patio home, which means it only has a tiny yard. Those are popular with older empty-nesters who don't need the yard space, but it's not ideal for a family.

You can find the property taxes for any home in Tarrant County at the Tarrant Appraisal District's website: https://www.tad.org Just do a property search by address. I'm not sure how to tell you to estimate utilities...?

Old 04-30-2018, 04:36 AM

1,447 posts, read 1,487,298 times
How about HEB area....Hurst Euless Bedford. If I remember correctly Trinity HS is one of the few high schools that teach Hindi...so that might tell you something.
Of course people will try to point you to VR or Frisco, but those places are far away from downtown Ft. Worth. I'd think about how far you have to drive every day vs how often you really need an Indian grocery store. Plus there probably are a few smaller IndoPak stores around HEB or Ft. Worth if you really need something.
Southlake starts about 650K and is one of the most expensive cities in the Metroplex. Great schools, but you will pay to be in the school district.

Old 04-30-2018, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamLynn View Post
How about HEB area....Hurst Euless Bedford. If I remember correctly Trinity HS is one of the few high schools that teach Hindi...so that might tell you something.
Of course people will try to point you to VR or Frisco, but those places are far away from downtown Ft. Worth. I'd think about how far you have to drive every day vs how often you really need an Indian grocery store. Plus there probably are a few smaller IndoPak stores around HEB or Ft. Worth if you really need something.
Southlake starts about 650K and is one of the most expensive cities in the Metroplex. Great schools, but you will pay to be in the school district.
Thanks. Will have to go back to the planning. I am not worried about Indian grocery. We honestly even now only visit Indian grocery probably once a month. Our lunch/dinner is about 30% times Indian.

For the HEB - is that under Keller ISD? I thought based on other comments that is a little less desirable than GCISD. On that point, I really don't know how to compare a 9/10 school in the HEB vs. GCISD.

What we are looking for:

- Good schools (He is going to be in Kinder but we want to be in an area that has good elementary, middle high school)
- Close to shops
- Safe
- Not a long commute to work

Old 04-30-2018, 08:39 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,069,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Hurst is in the HEB ISD.
NRH is in Birdville ISD.
Colleyville is in Grapevine-Colleyville ISD.
Part of North Richland Hills (NRH) is in Keller ISD, zoned to Keller H.S.

That area of NRH has higher property values overall than the part zoned to Birdville.

Old 05-03-2018, 02:30 PM

29 posts, read 33,822 times
Hi - We moved last year to Grapevine ( renting ) and my kids go to Southlake schools. My husband commutes to Fort Worth and rush hour takes an hour. Southlake schools are good and looks like there is growing Indian community.

There are some new homes in Keller that are zoned for Southlake schools, homes are in 500s, not much land but seem nice. Similarly there is Carillon, and the villa section in in higher 600's. These homes are close to each other sit in market longer ( from what I have observed ). But I have seen many Indian families there. Grapevine Colleyville schools are also supposed to be good and I think there are apartments you can rent ( unlike Southlake where there are no apartments to rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth