U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Thread summary:

California transplants ending up in Texas, concerned state will end up like California, opinions on news article about Lone Star State

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-27-2008, 08:07 AM
 
Location: Irvine, CA to Keller, TX
4,831 posts, read 4,022,577 times
Reputation: 834
Default Good News, I Guess?

Being a transplant from CA that absolutely loves our new home/life in TX I like reading articles like this one. It really confirms that we made a great choice. However worrying a little bit about it possibly ending up like Southern CA in the not too distant future I am not so sure. Thoughts?


Back to Story (broken link) - Help

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 04-01-2008 at 01:04 PM.. Reason: Copyrighted - Post links -- ALWAYS -- instead of articles!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-27-2008, 08:58 AM
 
Location: Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex
1,297 posts, read 2,815,033 times
Reputation: 293
I read this same thing on msnbc.com. Someone else also posted it in another thread. I agree with you, I SO don't want us to turn into southern CA. I don't think that will happen, though. There are still vastly more native Texans and alot of out of state transplants want to assimilate into our culture, not change it. I was born here and I'm gonna die here, God willing, and it would break my heart if we lose our Lone Star pride. In the big city you already hear almost as many non Texan accents as you do the Texas accent. Sometimes I wonder what state I'm in!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2008, 09:21 AM
 
Location: The Big Mitten
29 posts, read 68,601 times
Reputation: 23
I read this very same article today and it's funny - my husband and I are currently looking for a place to relocate to. I've been to Texas and have a few cousins that live outside of Houston. I adore the state, the people - exactly as it is. That's one of the things that's drawing me to it. I would hope that everyone else would respect the culture and not try to change it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2008, 09:27 AM
 
Location: Irvine, CA to Keller, TX
4,831 posts, read 4,022,577 times
Reputation: 834
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskies49 View Post
I read this same thing on msnbc.com. Someone else also posted it in another thread. I agree with you, I SO don't want us to turn into southern CA. I don't think that will happen, though. There are still vastly more native Texans and alot of out of state transplants want to assimilate into our culture, not change it. I was born here and I'm gonna die here, God willing, and it would break my heart if we lose our Lone Star pride. In the big city you already hear almost as many non Texan accents as you do the Texas accent. Sometimes I wonder what state I'm in!
I hope you are right!

I doubt that I will ever acquire a Texas accent, nor do I want to because I would feel like a phony, a fake. If some rubs off, I am okay with that. My daughter went to college here and married a Texas boy. She sounds almost like a native Texan but I think it is because she is a teacher and just picked it up quickly in dealing with young children every day.

I will fight it tooth and nail if it starts turning into a model of SoCal, I left there for a reason. I have friends that moved from CA to Austin 14 years ago and they even see the difference since they moved. They are okay with it with the exception of the liberal attitudes that have developed in Austin.

I do plan on being buried here in TX, always a transplant but proud to say it is my home!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2008, 09:34 AM
 
Location: Irvine, CA to Keller, TX
4,831 posts, read 4,022,577 times
Reputation: 834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroiteratheart View Post
I read this very same article today and it's funny - my husband and I are currently looking for a place to relocate to. I've been to Texas and have a few cousins that live outside of Houston. I adore the state, the people - exactly as it is. That's one of the things that's drawing me to it. I would hope that everyone else would respect the culture and not try to change it.
I would hope so too but I have heard many people not respectful like you say. I was flying back and forth to CA for a while after we moved. Some of the complaining about TX on the flights was amazing. One trip a woman that had moved from SoCal to Dallas was just putting down TX the whole flight. I was embarrassed for her and when she quieted down I apologized to those around me for her behavior and assured them that not all Californians transplants are so rude. Thank God people in TX are understanding and are so friendly. I would are to say that a native Californian would not have kept their mouth shut if someone were putting down their state with such harsh remarks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2008, 01:28 PM
 
Location: Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex
1,297 posts, read 2,815,033 times
Reputation: 293
Another good one! We like transplants like you, soccersupporter.

As much as I love Texas, if for some reason I had to live in another state, I sure wouldn't lose my Texas pride but I would make sure that I found plenty of things to like about a new state. We are all unique and I love the neat differences in every state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2008, 10:44 AM
 
Location: San Diego, CA
397 posts, read 595,399 times
Reputation: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
I would hope so too but I have heard many people not respectful like you say. I was flying back and forth to CA for a while after we moved. Some of the complaining about TX on the flights was amazing. One trip a woman that had moved from SoCal to Dallas was just putting down TX the whole flight. I was embarrassed for her and when she quieted down I apologized to those around me for her behavior and assured them that not all Californians transplants are so rude. Thank God people in TX are understanding and are so friendly. I would are to say that a native Californian would not have kept their mouth shut if someone were putting down their state with such harsh remarks.
Don't apologize too much - many Texans do the same thing.

I agree with you 100% that such behavior is inappropriate - because I dislike many things about the TX culture, I wouldn't move there. But if you do, even though you don't have to accept everything, you have to adapt and not put down everything. Otherwise, why did you move?

However, it happens the other way around a lot. My son and his wife, originally from TX, live in San Francisco, and fly between CA and TX a lot to visit her family. I cannot tell you how many times he has been asked whether he is gay or why he lives in that heathen city. One one flight from San Fran to Dallas, 4 really loud Texans talked for the whole flight about how sinful San Francisco is with all the "*****s" (homosexuals) [why did they visit?] and how people should pray for them.

Rude people exist everywhere, whether in TX or CA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2008, 01:52 PM
 
14,316 posts, read 25,691,605 times
Reputation: 4911
frankly as a native texan I am not happy to read about the growth and influx of people from other states--
they are here as long as times are good (and for some texan times aren't good now)
they want the good but probably don't want to do what it takes to make the state healthy enough to support all these new people
we need better government to manage our future and we don't have it
we need stronger laws to protect citizens from poor home construction, high utility and insurance costs, and we don't get them
we need education that will move us into the 21 and 22nd century and our state ed board is just repressinve in many ways--because of its religious bent--that is not what education is supposed to be about...
our water needs for the future are not adequate and stealing it from Oklahoma is not the way to prepare for them...
having so many more people coming to texas can be a curse instead of a blessing--I wonder how many of them do have jobs that will last more than 18 months and how many companies have decent health care benefits for their workers...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2008, 02:37 PM
 
493 posts, read 6,384 times
Reputation: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
Being a transplant from CA that absolutely loves our new home/life in TX I like reading articles like this one. It really confirms that we made a great choice. However worrying a little bit about it possibly ending up like Southern CA in the not too distant future I am not so sure. Thoughts?

Census: Texas is the hot place to live - (broken link)


What do you mean? end up like southern california...Didn't the coastal areas have a limited amount of land that was bought up by developers...when the land was all gone the house values shot up? I mean Texas appears to have a lot of land left...should we pass laws about Yanks and Californians coming to our state to make sure it doesn't turn into SoCal?

Last edited by scirocco22; 04-01-2008 at 04:45 PM.. Reason: quote edited for copyright issues
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2008, 11:02 AM
 
Location: Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex
1,297 posts, read 2,815,033 times
Reputation: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
frankly as a native texan I am not happy to read about the growth and influx of people from other states--
they are here as long as times are good (and for some texan times aren't good now)
they want the good but probably don't want to do what it takes to make the state healthy enough to support all these new people
we need better government to manage our future and we don't have it
we need stronger laws to protect citizens from poor home construction, high utility and insurance costs, and we don't get them
we need education that will move us into the 21 and 22nd century and our state ed board is just repressinve in many ways--because of its religious bent--that is not what education is supposed to be about...
our water needs for the future are not adequate and stealing it from Oklahoma is not the way to prepare for them...
having so many more people coming to texas can be a curse instead of a blessing--I wonder how many of them do have jobs that will last more than 18 months and how many companies have decent health care benefits for their workers...
Good points, loves2read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitechocolate86 View Post
What do you mean? end up like southern california...Didn't the coastal areas have a limited amount of land that was bought up by developers...when the land was all gone the house values shot up? I mean Texas appears to have a lot of land left...should we pass laws about Yanks and Californians coming to our state to make sure it doesn't turn into SoCal?
Sure, why not? I'll vote for that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top