Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2018, 09:53 PM

141 posts, read 136,879 times

Advertisements

Love was supposed to close to commercial flights at the same time Meacham did, but Jim Wright pushed through the Love Amendment. This is fair response to reopen the airport when it's competitor which was supposed to close did not. Took the city too many years
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2018, 09:49 AM

11,855 posts, read 26,872,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
As I've gotten older, I thought Alliance would be better off with commercial flights since it has a hell of a lot more room to expand than Meacham.
Alliance was built to be a cargo ONLY airport. It was never supposed to be a passenger airport. There is no infrastructure there at all to support passenger operations.

Old 08-27-2018, 11:34 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,316,107 times
Uh, Meacham doesn't have any infrastructure either. The renovated terminal is an office building with an Enterprise Rental counter. The only thing standing in the way of building said infrastructure is money and American's influence.

That said, I can't see passenger service spreading to Alliance. If the goal is to provide an alternative to DFW for Tarrant residents , you don't accomplish that by opening up on the far north end of the county when the county is experiencing equal growth on the south and west sides as well.

And moving into a neighborhood adjacent to or near the flight path of a 93 year old airport and complaining about aircraft noise is pretty funny.

Old 08-27-2018, 12:48 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,646,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbb303 View Post
Uh, Meacham doesn't have any infrastructure either. The renovated terminal is an office building with an Enterprise Rental counter. The only thing standing in the way of building said infrastructure is money and American's influence.

That said, I can't see passenger service spreading to Alliance. If the goal is to provide an alternative to DFW for Tarrant residents , you don't accomplish that by opening up on the far north end of the county when the county is experiencing equal growth on the south and west sides as well.

And moving into a neighborhood adjacent to or near the flight path of a 93 year old airport and complaining about aircraft noise is pretty funny.

Delighted I could provide you with a chuckle.

Old 08-28-2018, 09:14 AM

34 posts, read 34,376 times
Why do metroplex residents have this weird obsession with handicapping our biggest economic machine (DFW Airport) We have the worlds largest airline HQ'd here and a gigantic airport with numerous international destinations and brand new terminals that have cutting edge technology and people want to serve up competition to that? What in the world?! Everything possible should be done to make DFW the biggest and best airport possible, not take away from it so some yuppie doesn't have to hop in their limo for an extra 20 mins. Goodness people......

"Hey, I know a great idea. Lets go poke one of our largest employers in the area with a stick to benefit a small group of folks living inside of 820 and west of 35. FFS.

Old 08-28-2018, 09:20 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,215,003 times
That “small” group is easily larger than the population of HEB. Bedford has a financial interest in it not happening.

Old 08-28-2018, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
That “small” group is easily larger than the population of HEB. Bedford has a financial interest in it not happening.
You think I care about how it will affect Bedford lol? I'm not even from Bedford, I just live here. Interesting economics they teach over there at froggy.....

Old 08-28-2018, 12:55 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,316,107 times
For a lot of people, support of expanded passenger service is rooted in the idea that more competition increases service and lowers prices. Whether that really happens or not, the average consumer cares more about the possibility of lower cost, better quality air travel than the long-term economic impact of a little competition for AA and DFW Airport. And that's exactly what it is: "little" competition. If AA and DFW can't hold up to the competition of 20 gates at Love or the 5-10 gates we might see at Meacham, they are not the economic juggernauts that they're held up to be.

Old 08-28-2018, 07:08 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,215,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HEBres21 View Post
Why do metroplex residents have this weird obsession with handicapping our biggest economic machine (DFW Airport) We have the worlds largest airline HQ'd here and a gigantic airport with numerous international destinations and brand new terminals that have cutting edge technology and people want to serve up competition to that? What in the world?! Everything possible should be done to make DFW the biggest and best airport possible, not take away from it so some yuppie doesn't have to hop in their limo for an extra 20 mins. Goodness people......

"Hey, I know a great idea. Lets go poke one of our largest employers in the area with a stick to benefit a small group of folks living inside of 820 and west of 35. FFS.
You're the one accusing those in favor of it of being yuppies in limos. The only time I see limos in Fort Worth is during prom season. Also, "froggy," really? Driving to DFW from west Fort Worth can be quite a slog. They wouldn't be considering it if there wasn't a market for it.

Old 08-30-2018, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbb303 View Post
For a lot of people, support of expanded passenger service is rooted in the idea that more competition increases service and lowers prices. Whether that really happens or not, the average consumer cares more about the possibility of lower cost, better quality air travel than the long-term economic impact of a little competition for AA and DFW Airport. And that's exactly what it is: "little" competition. If AA and DFW can't hold up to the competition of 20 gates at Love or the 5-10 gates we might see at Meacham, they are not the economic juggernauts that they're held up to be.
If that were the case then yes, it would be beneficial to all parties involved. However, as we can see Southwest and Delta currently locked up in a legal battle about use of gates at Love and the constant pressing of Southwest to expand gate capacity at Love it's pretty clear an airline would try to find an advantage over AA in the terms of geography rather than actually "competing" at DFW.

Love Field was supposed to close all airline operations when DFW was built and was only allowed to remain as an intra TX airline. We all see what that's turned into... Point being the major problems I see in the Metroplex is public transportation and and ease of travel. 35W, 820 N,S,E,W, 183 and 121 should've been expanded years ago. And the current expansion into toll lanes has been a complete slap in the face and irresponsible to the citizens of Tarrant county.

Due to the sprawl of the metro-mess, I understand the concern of travel to and from DFW and the want for a more competitive offering. So now not only is Meachem and Love Field identified as competition to DFW, but TKI in McKinney has also expressed interest in attracting commercial flights. So again go compare fares Southwest isn't the cheap low cost carrier anymore their biggest service offering at Love is now convenience which is most likely the only thing Meachem would offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth