Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 06:28 AM

21 posts, read 18,554 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We are moving from out of state and would like to land in Fort Worth. I'm having a hard time understanding the schools. I've heard good things about Tanglewood (though very crowded) and Pascal High School. Can someone explain how the magnet/speciality schools work? For example, the Young Women's Leadership Academy. Is this a school open to anyone within FWISD and how selective is admissions? I've also heard good things about Pascal's honor's program. Do you have to live within the boundary or can you apply as long as you are within FWISD?

Does anyone have feedback about Benbrook Middle High School which is still part of FWISD? It looks like a fairly new school.

Finally, anyone have experience with Crowley Schools? One of the neighborhoods we are looking in is split right now the middle between the two districts. Curious if this affects property values and one being more desirable than another.

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2019, 07:26 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,686,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liberty0710 View Post
Hello,

We are moving from out of state and would like to land in Fort Worth. I'm having a hard time understanding the schools. I've heard good things about Tanglewood (though very crowded) and Pascal High School. Can someone explain how the magnet/speciality schools work? For example, the Young Women's Leadership Academy. Is this a school open to anyone within FWISD and how selective is admissions? I've also heard good things about Pascal's honor's program. Do you have to live within the boundary or can you apply as long as you are within FWISD?

Does anyone have feedback about Benbrook Middle High School which is still part of FWISD? It looks like a fairly new school.

Finally, anyone have experience with Crowley Schools? One of the neighborhoods we are looking in is split right now the middle between the two districts. Curious if this affects property values and one being more desirable than another.

Thanks so much!
I can answer some of your questions.

Tanglewood is a strong school with a very (hyper?) active PTA. We are zoned for TW, but got our son into Alice Carlson Applied Learning academy (lottery), which was a better fit for us both pedagogically and socially. We got the sense that TW was very focused on test scores. Also be aware that, due to overcrowding, they are about to build a TW2 to serve the southern section of the attendance zone. I suspect the new school will be strong too.

There are other strong schools in the central city, though, including Westcliff (recently won 2nd place in the nation for best urban primary school), Dagget Montessori, Lily B Clayton, and North Hi Mount. Several of these have strong bilingual education programs.

I have heard positive things about the YWLA, but I'm unsure of the admissions norms. A good friend's daughter went there and absolutely loved it.

Paschal gets high marks, especially the AP program. You have to live in the attendance zone to get in, but many of the desirable neighborhoods on the southside of the city are zoned there.

Property values in FW are VERY related to the quality of the schools.

Old 02-03-2019, 09:03 AM

18 posts, read 25,197 times
At one point there was an option to attend Paschal regardless of where you lived in the district, however it’s been awhile since I knew of someone doing it so it might not be the case still.

Once upon a time, Crowley was supposed to be Aledo (before it became the Aledo it is today). But demographics shifted and they grew EXTREMELY fast, the test scores crashed and the reputation crumbled. It has recovered a bit in the last few years and it’s probably on par with most of FWISD at this point.

Old 02-03-2019, 10:02 AM

Thank you for the responses.

So do you think resale in neighborhoods like La Cantera and Mira Vista, would be more of a problem since it's not in the Pascal feeder? I realize many of these families may go to private school, but curious if the schools are still a factor.

Old 02-03-2019, 11:47 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,686,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liberty0710 View Post
Thank you for the responses.

So do you think resale in neighborhoods like La Cantera and Mira Vista, would be more of a problem since it's not in the Pascal feeder? I realize many of these families may go to private school, but curious if the schools are still a factor.
I don't think resale would be problematic at Mira Vista at all. It is beautiful and very desirable. I'm not familiar with Cantera, but if it's like MV, I think you'd be fine.

Old 02-03-2019, 01:47 PM

2,502 posts, read 2,184,160 times
I doubt many people in MV or La Cantera go public. Everyone I know in MV goes to a private school. A lot of MV is zoned for Crowley so Paschal isn’t an option at all. We own land in La Cantera and our kids are at private schools.

Old 02-03-2019, 03:01 PM

Tcualum, do you mind sharing which school? I'm guessing your family is happy?

Old 02-03-2019, 09:16 PM

18 posts, read 25,197 times
Yes, nearly every child in MV and the surrounding gated communities along Bryant Irvin Rd attend private schools. The most popular being Trinity Valley (across the street), Country Day, All Saints, and Southwest Christian (also very close). I would assume the same of a gated community like La Cantera but the school of choice may change as that is much closer to All Saints.

If your budget will get you into MV, my advice to you is to find a private you like or to buy around TCU/Colonial CC so that you are zoned to Paschal. The only other comparable option is to look out in Aledo ISD which is quite a bit further out.

Old 02-03-2019, 09:17 PM

2,502 posts, read 2,184,160 times
I've heard Aledo is getting crowded.

Old 02-03-2019, 10:44 PM

197 posts, read 227,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
I doubt many people in MV or La Cantera go public. Everyone I know in MV goes to a private school. A lot of MV is zoned for Crowley so Paschal isn’t an option at all. We own land in La Cantera and our kids are at private schools.
The portions of Mira Vista close to the Trinity River (or generally the NW side) are zoned to FWISD. The feeder pattern there is Ridglea Hills ES, Monnig MS, and Arlington Heights HS. La Cantera, which is entirely in FWISD, has a feeder pattern of Waverly Park ES and Benbrook Middle-High School (a combined middle and high school). Neither are in the Paschal zone.

Since you mentioned Benbrook I feel that they may seem a bit overrated given their relatively low GreatSchools score for an otherwise “suburban” school. A daughter of one of the staff members at that school, who was a college classmate of mine, said that some of the kids there don’t see Benbrook as offering a “real” high school experience (in part since it’s also a middle school, but also it seems that the school lacks some of the amenities of other FWISD high schools since it was originally built as a middle school) and some kids try to transfer out over that. The statement on school amenities is not necessarily reflective of academics though.

Like you said, pretty much no one in Mira Vista or La Cantera uses public schools. But definitely look into the Tanglewood zone if you would rather use public schools. If your kids are above elementary age then you will want somewhere that feeds into both McLean and Paschal. FWISD’s School Site Locator should be useful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth