Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 09:49 PM

32 posts, read 77,867 times

Advertisements

We are looking to relocate to the Keller area and although we have yet to visit in person we are doing a lot of research online before our visit next week. From what we've read "The Bluffs" seems to be great place to raise kids...so many things to do and great schools. We have read some positive and negative reviews on the builders but one thing we haven't been able to figure out is very important to us. Does anyone know what quality of baseboards the builders (ie. Toll Brothers, Standard Pacific, etc.) have in their home? Meaning do they use MDF for the baseboards so if/when there is a water leak the MDF swells up like a diaper and if you don't catch it in time the walls are wet and possible big problems on your hands! Wood baseboards will stop the water and keep it contained to the floors preventing any possible moisture/mold damage in the walls.

Any other information on the local builders is greatly appreciated! We're still trying to figure out which builders own the remaining available lots...we're hoping for one of the larger ones and we will be relocating from a 1.20 acre lot. Call us crazy but with two Elementary age children we're ready to do the neighborhood "thing"!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2008, 11:44 PM

1,379 posts, read 6,424,364 times
Well there are other "neighborhood" that do have larger property. Respectfully speaking from someone that spent a year looking online before visiting and then moving, spend some time to drive around and see what is available. You might find something that works better for you or you will solidify that yes, you have looked at all your options.

We were very drawn to the Bluffs, but kept going back and forth between there and something with a little more land and privacy. Its a very definate personal choice.

There is a lot of inventory and a lot to look at. Good luck in your move!

Old 04-12-2008, 10:07 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
being the production builders that they are they probably use MDF--there are many builders who do
the better ones would use MDF for the top moldings and wood for the bottom but that is more expensive and when the budget rules, choices like those happen

most people don't have a clue even to ask what the baseboards are made of and would not know the differences

Old 04-22-2008, 01:49 PM

295 posts, read 948,939 times
hmmm how can you tell if you have MDF or wood? (without taking a baseboard off and scraping the paint, that is! )...

I live in the bluffs section 2, standard pacific home. So far I'm very happy with the neighborhood and building quality!

Old 04-24-2008, 10:25 AM

184 posts, read 863,057 times
There are three builders in The Bluffs At Heritage. Standard Pacific, Highland Homes and Toll Brothers. We live in a Highland Home and are extremely pleased with our builder. Highland has a very good reputation and great customer service. We were pleased with the upgrades they do in their homes here in The Bluffs, also. And I can tell you that Highland does use wood for all their baseboards here. The model homes are fun to take a look through and give you some idea of what each builder does. Toll Brothers is the highest end builder out here as you may already know but I know people who live in homes built by all of the Builders and everyone is quite happy.

The neighborhood is GREAT! Amenities are fabulous and with the elementary age kids that you have, you'll likely want to take advantage of our great pools. Also, Heritage has fun interest groups you might enjoy. Book Club, Cooking Club, Bunco groups, Art, Bridge Club, Swim Club for kids, Tennis lessons on sight, Scrapbooking Club to name a few. The Club House just opened last July and is really nice, also. And you are right down the street from the newest designed JC Penny's with the first ever Sephora store inside, Hobby Lobby, Cheddar's Casual Cafe. Belk is set to open in a few months and Best Buy opens TOMORROW! My husband is happy about that. Cabela's is just a couple miles up I-35W and the area is growing by leaps and bounds.
However, like Guingirl's advice above, take the time to drive around and see the area if that's doable for you. In our case, it wasn't and we feel completely happy with our choice and wouldn't change it we could. I did lots of research online like you and I felt comfortable with Heritage but just needed to see it. I was impressed when I did.
But also like Guingirl said it's a personal choice and you should do what works best for you and your family. I hope this helped you a little bit. Let us know if you have more questions.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:55 AM

295 posts, read 948,939 times
What kind of store are Belk and Ulta? those don't exist in the midwest...

Old 04-26-2008, 10:05 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
Belk is a department store like Kohl's
Ulta is beauty supply--makeup hair products small appliances like hair dryers

Old 05-09-2008, 08:17 AM

184 posts, read 863,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcamber View Post
What kind of store are Belk and Ulta? those don't exist in the midwest...
Belk has been around for many years. I would describe it a little more upscale than Kohls.

Old 05-09-2008, 02:12 PM

1,740 posts, read 5,743,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcamber View Post
hmmm how can you tell if you have MDF or wood? (without taking a baseboard off and scraping the paint, that is! )...

I live in the bluffs section 2, standard pacific home. So far I'm very happy with the neighborhood and building quality!
Go walk through homes under construction to see what types of materials used. I would recommend walking through various phases of construction so as to see the different stages.

Old 05-09-2008, 02:17 PM

1,740 posts, read 5,743,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
being the production builders that they are they probably use MDF--there are many builders who do
the better ones would use MDF for the top moldings and wood for the bottom but that is more expensive and when the budget rules, choices like those happen

most people don't have a clue even to ask what the baseboards are made of and would not know the differences
I am having a semi custom home built by a production builder and they use wood for all moldings, baseboards, chair and crown moulding. So...not all production builders use MDF for these types of mouldings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
View detailed profiles of: