Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2019, 07:15 AM

10 posts, read 16,005 times

Advertisements

I have no idea who to ask or where to go to find out if this is even a possibility.. But, I live in Southlake on a about 1.25 acres. Our house sits completely on one side of the lot. I have no idea whether or not I could sell off about half of an acre for someone else to build a house on. I live in Southlake. Anyone have any idea of which department I'd need to talk to within the city to find out? I expect that the answer is "no", but I'd definitely like to find out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2019, 11:12 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,212,817 times
Is it in an HOA? If so, you need to read the HOA bylaws to see if it's allowed and if you need their approval to do so. We own a 1.7-acre lot in Fort Worth that we wanted to subdivide into 2 lots but the HOA wouldn't allow us to do so. This is in addition to city approval.

Old 06-04-2019, 01:41 PM

We do not have an HOA..

Old 07-31-2019, 12:58 PM

Anyone have any suggestions?..ideas?...know where to get started?

Old 07-31-2019, 01:24 PM

24,496 posts, read 10,825,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lam33gb View Post
Anyone have any suggestions?..ideas?...know where to get started?
Tax assessor and building inspector.

Old 07-31-2019, 01:36 PM

1,846 posts, read 831,483 times
https://www.cityofsouthlake.com/176/Planning-Zoning

Call these people.
You might have to give a reason to the members for why you want to divide the land, but it shouldn't be much of an issue with over an acre.

Old 07-31-2019, 01:45 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,313,278 times
First of all you need to know whether it's a platted subdivision or designated by "metes and bounds". I expect that, even if subdividing would be acceptable to the zoning commission and your restrictive covenants, splitting a platted lot would be darn near impossible. If it's metes and bounds (in other words, your lot shows individually on the county survey, rather than simply being included in a subdivision), I think it's a matter of getting approval to do it and hiring a surveyor to lay it out.

You also need to use some longer term thinking as well. If every other lot is 1.25 to 2 acres, and here you are with a house on 0.6 acres and another 0.6 ac lot you want to sell, your lot for sale is going to be less desirable, and so will your house when the time comes to sell it. Of course if all the lots are a quarter acre except for yours, then that won't be a consideration.

Anyway, I would start at the county tax assessor's office and they can direct you where to go next. They also ought to be able to pull up the restrictions on your subdivision or area of town. Many many cities have areas where there's a certain minimum lot size. To deviate from that you'd have to get a variance and as soon as your neighbors find out you're requesting a variance they'll show up en masse to argue against it.

Old 08-05-2019, 12:44 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,844,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Tax assessor and building inspector.
Probably planning and zoning
I think Southlake has passed an ordinance that prohibits new builds on lots smaller than an acre
So
Unless you have an acre of available land after you subdivide, likely this isn’t feasible
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth