Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2020, 09:37 PM

5,842 posts, read 4,171,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPatel304 View Post
Thanks everyone for your input. I've been doing a bit more research, and I'm leaning more towards moving into the Montgomery Plaza.

Pros:
- Excellent proximity to trails
- Love the look of the building and the units. I've always wanted to live in a historic building exactly like this, and the amenities look spectacular
- Easy access to tons of restaurants/bars/etc. I still prefer the Magnolia area for restaurants/bars, but this is a rapidly growing part of town with tons to do.

Cons:
- Not as accessible to the TRE as living Downtown (still very accessible, so not too much of a con)

I'm still doing some research, but I'm feeling good about my decision. Initially, I wanted something super convenient to the TRE so that I can make convenient trips to Dallas, but I'm really not sure how often I'd realistically make use of that. Even if I wanted to, the West 7th area is still very convenient to the TRE.
You missed the biggest pro of all: Velvet Taco.

I'd take the Montgomery/W 7th bar and restaurant scene over Magnolia all day long. It's not even a comparison to me. Magnolia is cool, but I think there's a lot more stuff like that around Montgomery Plaza.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2020, 10:32 PM

577 posts, read 457,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
You missed the biggest pro of all: Velvet Taco.

I'd take the Montgomery/W 7th bar and restaurant scene over Magnolia all day long. It's not even a comparison to me. Magnolia is cool, but I think there's a lot more stuff like that around Montgomery Plaza.
Haha.. good point about Velvet Taco!

The more I look at the restaurants in West 7th, the more I think you might be right. I honestly haven't spent enough time in either area to accurately give an opinion, but I tihnk Magnolia left a better impression on me simply because it felt like it had more establishments that were new to me.

I'm pretty happy with what I've found in my research so far though, and I've read some good things about the Montogomery Plaza itself, which is really promising.

Old 05-06-2020, 08:25 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,215,003 times
I was born in Dallas and grew up moving back and forth between Dallas and Richardson. I moved to Tarrant County more or less permanently when I attended TCU and met my (now) husband who doesn't like Dallas. I used to drive to Dallas a lot to enjoy the greater variety of shopping, restaurants, etc. but as Fort Worth has developed I've felt less and less of a need to do so. Two of the only things I miss in Dallas (besides some of the performing arts venues) are Richardson's Chinatown and Northpark. I just haven't found in Fort Worth a Chinese restaurant that compares. My family really likes Cannon Chinese Kitchen but it's not the same sort of place.

Old 05-06-2020, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
I was born in Dallas and grew up moving back and forth between Dallas and Richardson. I moved to Tarrant County more or less permanently when I attended TCU and met my (now) husband who doesn't like Dallas. I used to drive to Dallas a lot to enjoy the greater variety of shopping, restaurants, etc. but as Fort Worth has developed I've felt less and less of a need to do so. Two of the only things I miss in Dallas (besides some of the performing arts venues) are Richardson's Chinatown and Northpark. I just haven't found in Fort Worth a Chinese restaurant that compares. My family really likes Cannon Chinese Kitchen but it's not the same sort of place.
Thanks for sharing! I don't think I'll miss Dallas so much, as I'll miss my friends in Dallas. That was the main reason I wanted easy TRE access, so that I could have a convenient way to hop on over back to Dallas to visit friends if I wanted to.

The other thing I love about where I live right now are the parks and access to the Katy Trail, but I see the Trinity River Trail as an upgrade so if I can find a place near there, then I'm good.

Old 05-09-2020, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
I've spent limited time in Richardson's Chintown, so I'll have to check it out more, but my god, I freaking love Cannon. Their char siu anything (bao, fried rice even) is out of this world. I love the chili oil, too.

Old 05-09-2020, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Haha.. good point about Velvet Taco!

The more I look at the restaurants in West 7th, the more I think you might be right. I honestly haven't spent enough time in either area to accurately give an opinion, but I tihnk Magnolia left a better impression on me simply because it felt like it had more establishments that were new to me.

I'm pretty happy with what I've found in my research so far though, and I've read some good things about the Montogomery Plaza itself, which is really promising.
I should clarify because I feel like my last post was dogging on Magnolia. I didn't mean to. I used to live in Ryan Place, and my wife and I would ride our bikes up to Magnolia all the time. It really was great, and I think it's come along a lot in the last few years (I also rollerbladed from Ryan Place to Velvet Taco at 1:30 AM once....there might have been alcohol involved).

The biggest difference, at least to me, is that the Montgomery Plaza/W 7th area probably attracts more young 20-somethings. In fact, my sister-in-law fits this description, and she lives in an apartment just off of W 7th. West 7th is also much larger than Magnolia. Magnolia is less Uptown-ish, and whether that's a good thing or bad thing depends on your perspective. I'm 35 and married (now with a baby), so for me, I'd pick the Magnolia area, hands-down. But if you are younger, single and looking to have something like an Uptown experience, West 7th is probably the closest there is to that.

Old 05-09-2020, 11:08 PM

Quote:
I should clarify because I feel like my last post was dogging on Magnolia. I didn't mean to. I used to live in Ryan Place, and my wife and I would ride our bikes up to Magnolia all the time. It really was great, and I think it's come along a lot in the last few years (I also rollerbladed from Ryan Place to Velvet Taco at 1:30 AM once....there might have been alcohol involved).

The biggest difference, at least to me, is that the Montgomery Plaza/W 7th area probably attracts more young 20-somethings. In fact, my sister-in-law fits this description, and she lives in an apartment just off of W 7th. West 7th is also much larger than Magnolia. Magnolia is less Uptown-ish, and whether that's a good thing or bad thing depends on your perspective. I'm 35 and married (now with a baby), so for me, I'd pick the Magnolia area, hands-down. But if you are younger, single and looking to have something like an Uptown experience, West 7th is probably the closest there is to that.
Thanks for the insight, and honestly, it sounds like I can't go wrong with either area. I'm 33 years old and live close to the Uptown area, but I'm pretty much over that scene these days. I definitely think Magnolia is more on my level, but I really like how convenient Montogomery Plaza is to some green space and the trails. For me, personally, the access to greenspace and trails is pretty high priority as that is where I generally like to spend a lot of my time after work.

Old 05-10-2020, 10:02 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,215,003 times
Quote:
I've spent limited time in Richardson's Chintown, so I'll have to check it out more, but my god, I freaking love Cannon. Their char siu anything (bao, fried rice even) is out of this world. I love the chili oil, too.
My neighborhood HOA has been arranging for different restaurants to deliver to our neighborhood. I was never happier than when I was able to pick up Cannon.

Old 05-10-2020, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the insight, and honestly, it sounds like I can't go wrong with either area. I'm 33 years old and live close to the Uptown area, but I'm pretty much over that scene these days. I definitely think Magnolia is more on my level, but I really like how convenient Montogomery Plaza is to some green space and the trails. For me, personally, the access to greenspace and trails is pretty high priority as that is where I generally like to spend a lot of my time after work.
Not sure what your car status is, but if you have one, you should get a mountain bike and check out Sansom Park and Gateway Park. They both have solid mountain bike trails. They are actual mountain bike trails, not like the Katy or Trinity systems, but they are a lot of fun. You can find out more at the Fort Worth Mountain Bike Association's website: https://fwmba.org/

Gateway is more beginner friendly, but despite the photos on the front page of the site, there's not a ton of stuff at either park that is too gnarly. Sansom is definitely a workout, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth