U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 06:49 AM

107 posts, read 556,851 times
Default Mountains in Texas anywhere?

We really love New Mexico because of the weather and mountains. But I love how much land and house we can get in Ft. Worth. I was thinking maybe there is an in between somewhere that has mountains. Are there mountains in Texas closer to the eastern border? Where are mountains if any in Texas?

Rebecca
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2008, 07:19 AM

14,307 posts, read 25,605,657 times
would it not have been simpler to just Google a map of TX--mountains show up fairly easily on maps
got this from Wiki
Category:Mountain ranges of Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-16-2008, 09:17 AM

I guess I could have done that sure. You started me on a search and now I have no clue what I want ! LOL We want somewhere we can enjoy mountains but not the humidity of Ft Worth combined with the heat. I can handle one or the other but not both. Yet we want something affordable like Ft Worth as well. New Mexico has the weather we like but it's so stinkin' expensive. Texas has such great jobs (finance jobs) too. I guess now I need to figure out what NW Texas is like .. maybe it's cheaper up there closer to New Mexico. But not sure about the weather. It's hard to research this stuff because everyone has a different opinion and without being there it seems hard to figure out weather.

Old 05-16-2008, 09:47 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,853,558 times
Default mountains

Where are mountains if any in Texas?::: go to the el paso forum and click on the el paso photo thread ,theres alot of pictures of the franklin mountains on it , and it's cheap to live here and we have no humidity and NM is right up the road

Old 05-16-2008, 09:48 AM

362 posts, read 1,099,104 times
I had a one year job assignment in Albuquerque last year and now I'm back in TX. This is just my opinion, but I don't think there's anything in north Texas that rivals the beauty of northern New Mexico. It just depends on if you like snow (you won't get it regularly here or be in a decent driving distance to ski for an afternoon) and if you like humidity. Its definitely more humid here than NM, but not typically as humid as say, south Louisiana where I also lived for a while. There's also a lot more air pollution in the Dallas Fort Worth Metroplex than NM, and in the summer there are air quality alerts advising people with respiratory conditions to stay inside if possible. I play tennis in the summer 100+ heat because I can't stand to be stuck in doors, but it can be brutal.

It seems there is a greater abundance of jobs here in TX compared to NM and yes, you can get a new house for a reasonable price. I'm afraid here in North TX, you'll have to trade mountains for prairies...and endless strip malls.

There are not mountains here like NM. There are some hills and the TX Hill Country outside of Austin is a pretty region of the state. East Texas is full of tall pine trees. Its pretty in its own way.

Old 05-16-2008, 09:52 AM

8,007 posts, read 11,117,745 times
You're looking for the impossible. As the article showed, the only mountains in Texas are in the West/Southwest.

You'll have to look at El Paso, Alpine, Ft. Davis, Marfa.....along with all of the downsides (isolation, no jobs, few amenities, other than EP).

NW Texas?? Nope, no mountains there.

Yep, New Mexico is expensive, but I wish I had moved 10 years ago or more. The Sacramento mountains are out my front door.

Old 05-16-2008, 10:25 AM

Is the area you live in around the same pricing as ABQ ? It kills me that I can get 1 acre of land and a gorgous house for $190K (that's high even) where in NM I would pay at least $250. BUT .. if my husband gets a great paying job maybe we can afford it. I know, I'm looking for the impossible probably.

Old 05-16-2008, 11:16 AM

5,413 posts, read 10,158,392 times
There are no mountains in the D/FW area. But the southwest and west parts of TX have mountains, from what I've been told. I hope to visit them some day.

Old 05-16-2008, 02:18 PM

63 posts, read 176,963 times
I think the Palo Pinto mountains are about as close as you'll get in terms of "mountains" in Texas. It's a very pretty area, about an hour west of Fort Worth around Possum Kingdom Lake. It's kind of the northern hill country. But, they really aren't "mountains" as the highest elevations are around 2,000 feet.

Old 05-16-2008, 02:31 PM

5,413 posts, read 10,158,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestTx View Post
I think the Palo Pinto mountains are about as close as you'll get in terms of "mountains" in Texas. It's a very pretty area, about an hour west of Fort Worth around Possum Kingdom Lake. It's kind of the northern hill country. But, they really aren't "mountains" as the highest elevations are around 2,000 feet.
I was just at Possum Kingdom in Caddo, TX (about 100 mi. west of FW) earlier this month. It's pretty out there. Like you said, they're not really mountains ... they're more like hills. Here's a pic I took w/ my phone during a hike.

Attached Thumbnails
Mountains in Texas anywhere?-0503081358b.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth