U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2006, 03:02 PM

1 posts, read 2,430 times

Advertisements

HI-

My husband's company is relocating to Grapevine from Michigan and I'm a little freaked out. We are huge outdoors people- we love to fish, bike, hike, etc. and are worried about having those options in Texas. Also, we love historic homes. Are there any in safe areas around there? We are also looking for a good school district. Our daughter is only 1 now but it's always good to plan long-term.

We also love eating out- there are so many ethnic restaurants here and we're wondering if we'll find the same out there. Any information about the area would be helpful. Also, we're contemplating renting an apartment for a few months until we get a feel for the area but I haven't found too many communities that look great and they seem to be pretty expensive for what they are. Is it better to buy?

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2006, 03:30 PM

1,067 posts, read 5,124,653 times
Hey there Michigan,
Just to let you know you have nothing to worry about. You will love it here. Dallas Fort Worth I think has the most resturants per square mile than any other city in the United States. We also are per mile with shopping.
Dallas Fort Worth is very progressive and filled with diversity as well and we have a hi ratio of college educated people. As far as outdoors, we have it all that you have except the snow like you get. There are some really pretty areas to live too around here. I would look up on a search engine Northwest Dallas suburbs and see what comes up. I know there are sites out there that can give you a description of the areas.
We have lakes, good fishing here, camping, you name it we have it for the outdoors extradinaire.

I love lots of ethnic foods. What kind were wanting to be able to have access too to wet your palette?
My favorite is east indian.

Old 05-18-2006, 10:30 AM

6 posts, read 17,649 times
Hi Stargazer,
Can you tell me a little bit about the historic districts in Fort Worth? I see housing prices range anywhere from $100,000 to over $300,000 for a Craftsman or Prairie home. I know some neighborhood might be nicer, safer, have better schools etc. than others. What do you think about such neighborhoods as Arlington, Berekely, Fairmount, Mistletoe Heights, or Oakhurst? Or are there other areas you would consider outside Fort Worth?
Thanks!
P.S. I love East Indian food too.

Old 05-22-2006, 08:38 PM

I used to live in the arm of Ft Worth which is above Arlington. I am not that good at telling you about Ft. Worth in general. I though think that Ft Worth is probably going to be more of a artistic hub if you want to live in the city. I have visited out there and been to some neighborhoods that way. We mainly go there to the stock yards or over to the zoo and musuems there. I am sure someone on here can help out. Are you more of a bohemian type of person or someone who likes the burbs? I live in Mckinney and love it. It has a great mix of neighborhoods blended with the unique downtown with upscale shops, antique shops, dining areas and theaters there. I was surprised to find such a unique town setting when we came here.

Good luck with finding your perfect place. Arlington had an awesome east indian restuarant but closed down a few years back called Shusmi. We just moved back from Florida and am looking for another one like it around here.

Old 06-25-2006, 01:22 PM

122 posts, read 764,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan27
HI-

My husband's company is relocating to Grapevine from Michigan and I'm a little freaked out. We are huge outdoors people- we love to fish, bike, hike, etc. and are worried about having those options in Texas. Also, we love historic homes. Are there any in safe areas around there? We are also looking for a good school district. Our daughter is only 1 now but it's always good to plan long-term.

We also love eating out- there are so many ethnic restaurants here and we're wondering if we'll find the same out there. Any information about the area would be helpful. Also, we're contemplating renting an apartment for a few months until we get a feel for the area but I haven't found too many communities that look great and they seem to be pretty expensive for what they are. Is it better to buy?

Thanks!!!
There is definitely plenty of outdoors stuff to be done in North Texas, you won't have a problem with that at all. There are several lakes in the Fort Worth and Dallas area (including Grapevine Lake) and a handful of biking trails around. Fishing is great around here, just going to be different than what yall are used to. Most folks down here are bass fishermen, and we use these fancy new-fangled rods and reels instead of fly-fishing like most of yall up north do! If you go to the Texas Parks and Wildlife website, you can start getting a leg up on at least some of the outdoors stuff to be done.

Grapevine itself is known for its historic homes, as well as its effort to keep them well maintained, though I have no idea how much they cost. Some people have complained about how difficult it is to do any work on them, as the city is fairly restrictive.

As far as ethnic restaurants go, it depends upon what ethnicities you're searching for. Some of the more specific varieties aren't too common around here, though you can still stumble across something new.

I may not be giving you a ton of info to work with, but it's hard to do until you begin narrowing your search a bit. If you have any other questions, just let me know!

Old 06-26-2006, 08:21 PM

1,868 posts, read 5,224,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan27
HI-

Thanks!!!
As you will see by all the overweight people in Texas...there are plenty of restaurants!! Moooooo

HEB Hurst Euless Bedford is a great school district.....Grapevine Coleyville as well.

There are alot of Lakes out here and that's about it. Very landlocked.

Old 07-07-2006, 05:13 PM

Not everyone here is obese as Shannon suggest.

Old 07-08-2006, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazer
Not everyone here is obese as Shannon suggest.
Didn't mean to offend ...but it's a fact that Texas has the largest overweight population in the US.

Old 07-08-2006, 01:34 PM

122 posts, read 764,455 times
Not to nitpick, but the numbers I've found deal with the percentage of the population that is obese, and they have Texas at #43 in 2005. Nothing to cheer about, just trying to sort out the facts.

http://www.unitedhealthfoundation.org/shr2005/components/obesity.html (broken link)

Also, by my math, when discussing number of people, Texas has the second largest skinny population. (23 million in Texas, 25 percent obese = 17.25 million NOT obese people)

Old 07-08-2006, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_catch_tree_bass
Not to nitpick, but the numbers I've found deal with the percentage of the population that is obese, and they have Texas at #43 in 2005. Nothing to cheer about, just trying to sort out the facts.

http://www.unitedhealthfoundation.org/shr2005/components/obesity.html (broken link)

Also, by my math, when discussing number of people, Texas has the second largest skinny population. (23 million in Texas, 25 percent obese = 17.25 million NOT obese people)
My info was from The University of Texas....says Texas children are the most obese in the nation and that Texas as a whole comes in at #6. However there are certain cities that come in at the top, one being Houston. There is no way Texas has the second largest skinny population. That's almost funny. One trip to the grocery store out here and every third person I look at seems to be overweight. Im not trying to be ugly, it's just what I see. Coming from California it was a little shocking to see so many overweight people. I'm sure it has something to do with the weather out here.

p.s. people can be overweight without being obese.

Last edited by shannon94; 07-08-2006 at 08:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or