Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2023, 11:56 AM

778 posts, read 505,415 times

Advertisements

Recently moved to Azle, TX, and have received my first "normal" electric bill. $600.00!! For one month!!! This includes TDU charges. I cannot believe this!! Can this be true? Seven thousand dollars a year?!?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2023, 12:36 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,868,308 times
How old is the house?
How large is the house?
What do you keep your thermostat set on?

Read the bill carefully to make sure there aren't added fees, such as "new service fee," etc.

Old 01-23-2023, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
How old is the house?
How large is the house?
What do you keep your thermostat set on?

Read the bill carefully to make sure there aren't added fees, such as "new service fee," etc.

The house was built in the early '80s and is a three bedroom, one den, 2 1/2 bath, attached garage ranch style. we usually keep the temp between 68 and 72 degrees. There is a charge called a "Gross Receipts Reimb" which seems like a reimbursement of some kind, but it shown in the Electricity Charges and Taxes section of the itemized bill. Then there is the TDU charges and taxes, the larges of which is 115 bucks for "delivery" charge and other minor charges totalling 120 dollars.

Old 01-23-2023, 02:59 PM

It sounds like the bulk of your bill is actual usage. How old is your HVAC? How much insulation do you have in your attic? Those two things make a huge difference.

Old 01-24-2023, 08:03 AM

I have two previous bills that were about 250/mo., running AC 24/7. There are two AC units, one new, the other refurbished. This is a modern house, not an older home. The heat couldn't be that much more, could it? That 600 bucks has to be an error, but I can't get a human being on the line thru Gexa's customer service number and there doesn't appear to be a dispute mechanism either. I have contacted my HOA, but not sure what they can do. I'm considering contacting my city council.

Old 01-24-2023, 09:02 AM

Your city council and HOA have nothing to do with public utility bills. You can escalate to the Texas Public Utility Commission, but you need to do your due diligence first. I would keep trying to get a human with Gexa during business hours.

Look at your per kiilowatt hour charges. Perhaps your plan expired and you were placed on a higher rate plan?
Have an HVAC company come out and look at your units. Maybe something is wrong with one of them that is causing it to use more electricity. Have you changed your furnace filters recently?

Old 01-24-2023, 01:14 PM

3,824 posts, read 1,381,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW R1100 View Post
Recently moved to Azle, TX, and have received my first "normal" electric bill. $600.00!! For one month!!! This includes TDU charges. I cannot believe this!! Can this be true? Seven thousand dollars a year?!?!
If you are all-electric and have heat-pumps, make sure units are running in 'heat-pump' mode in winter (outside fan/compressor is running while heating).
If heating on with 'electric-resistive-strips' - electric use/cost can be 3X to 4X normal.

Make sure thermostat is not manually set on EM, and once again, confirm outside units are running.

Old 01-24-2023, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
If you are all-electric and have heat-pumps, make sure units are running in 'heat-pump' mode in winter (outside fan/compressor is running while heating).
If heating on with 'electric-resistive-strips' - electric use/cost can be 3X to 4X normal.

Make sure thermostat is not manually set on EM, and once again, confirm outside units are running.

Thanks! This sounds like it may be the problem. I am totally new at this electric heat business. In SoCal it was gas.

Old 01-24-2023, 04:16 PM

3,824 posts, read 1,381,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW R1100 View Post
Thanks! This sounds like it may be the problem. I am totally new at this electric heat business. In SoCal it was gas.
I think in this last billing cycle we had several really cold nights, one getting down into single digits;
If yours was running on heat-strip-only thru this a $250 heating bill could easily have become $500 or more, especially if you had the thermostat set at 72 degrees while it was 10 degrees outside on heat-strips. . .

Do you have a website login for your Gexa account, where you can see/track your daily KW/H usage, especially if the charts also simultaneously show outside temperatures?
Checking that chart, it should be easy to see where usage dramatically jumps up on severe temp drops.
Also, standard resistive-electric water-heaters will also use quite a bit more kh/h as water-line temps drop.

Old 01-24-2023, 04:24 PM

What is EM?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth