Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2023, 10:28 PM

14 posts, read 24,852 times

Advertisements

1) Carroll ISD - compromise or adjust the travel time
2) Mira Vista - send your kids to private school
3) Aledo ISD - Annetta North/South or Aledo proper and compromise on access to shopping, food and the airport.

Southlake is an excellent place to live and the best damn public school system in the state. The bad news blurbs about the area stem from zoning. No multi-family housing in the district and none coming. The town is planned out and land locked. We have 3-4 familes total that filed all 8 DOE complaints over the past 4 years. Nothing will ever come from it because it is simply a few hard leftist Karen's with a lot of time and money coming to a hard realization that a community isn't going to bend over backwards for them at the cost of their children's education.

Lots of hard workers and professionals here in this area and we welcome anyone of any color, race or religion that plans to do the same. Some take that as bigoted or uninclusive but we like to refer to it as building a strong community.

Good luck finding a nice place. Lots of really really good pockets here in DFW.

Oh,

4) Trophy Club - NWISD, same issue on the travel window, cheaper and only 5 extra minutes to Southlake.

Last edited by TS_Grapevine; 03-07-2023 at 10:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2023, 07:46 AM

2,502 posts, read 2,175,361 times
Honestly, there isn't a strong Indian community in Fort Worth. The Indian stores are small and beat up, the few Indian restaurants aren't very good, and the Hindu temple (if you're Hindu) is relatively new and small. I know this because my husband is Indian and my mother-in-law, who is a pretty traditional Hindu Brahmin, lives with us. The closest large Indian community is in North Irving, so it's quite a drive. When we have time, we purchase our food for our annual Diwali party from there.

Your best bet for finding out which schools have a decent number of Indian students will be to contact the Hindu Temple of Greater Fort Worth. I will tell you that I've known more Indian families who sent their kids to TVS than to Fort Worth Country Day. Both schools don't have many Indians though. You've probably missed the admissions application windows for both schools though so you need to find a public option. You will probably need to prioritize commute and school quality over the size of the Indian student population.

I recommend Paschal.

Old 03-09-2023, 01:28 PM

6 posts, read 7,607 times
Thanks for the replies. We are not religious. Temple is nice but not a huge factor for us. Our primary reason for looking for an Indian neighborhood is the hope that it makes the transition for the elder easier. She will be starting high school and is very worried about not having friends. We think having other Indian kids can help.

How do you guys compare Carroll ISD with TVS? Education is our top priority. While both kids play sports, we don't see them being sports recruits for college. Even though we missed TVS application window, we are hoping they would still consider rolling applications. Hackaday/GH may not, but our understanding is TVS isn't as competitive to get it.

Old 03-11-2023, 07:25 AM

2,502 posts, read 2,175,361 times
They are very different experiences. Southlake is a large public high school that is obsessed with sports. TVS is a private college prep school. Getting into TVS is harder than you think. Call them to ask if they even have openings. Usually, most of their grades are full. I tried around this time to get my younger son into TVS several years ago because I didn't like the new head of school at my younger son's school and was told that the grade was full.

Personally, I'd choose Paschal over Southlake. Paschal is more diverse and doesn't have issues with racism like Southlake has. There's also less of a problem of being judged by what designer you wear or what car you drive. The pressure to "keep up with the Joneses" is intense in Southlake. The honors program at Paschal is very well respected. I have lots of friends who could easily afford to send their kids to any of the Fort Worth private schools for high school but choose to send their kids to Paschal. All of them are very happy with that choice.

Old 03-12-2023, 07:36 PM

3,812 posts, read 4,386,429 times
Tarrant county isnt great as far as Indians living there. The closest Indian enclave would probably be Valley Ranch and Las Colinas in Irving. Select the parts that are zoned to Coppell ISD and you are good to go on schools. Unfortunately, your wife is going to have to bite the bullet on the drive. Not going to be under 30 minutes. Probably 45 minutes to an hour depending on traffic.

I attended TCU a long time ago and we would see Paschal students come for camps and classes from time to time. It's basically a "school within a school" which explains the conflicting results you are seeing. It serves as a local neighborhood school which means that it draws a heavy minority population (minority in this case means mainly hispanic, not Asian) this is why the overall school grades arent impressive. But the school also has a special program for more advanced students that has been very impressive in Tarrant County for a long time now. That is the draw people are talking about. So basically if your kids are smart enough to get into the program then you're in a good spot. If they are not, then they will get the mediocre educational experience that most others get. And as mentioned, Indians dont make up a big portion of the population.

A bit longwinded but I would say you need to look again at Valley Ranch/Las Colinas if proximity to Indians is a big deal for you and your family.

Old 03-14-2023, 11:00 AM

6 posts, read 7,607 times
Thank you, Biafra & TCUAlum. Googling pointed me to Paschal Advanced Academics program. Couldn't find any information about eligibility. Appears to be a lottery-based selection and the deadline has already passed?

Old 03-14-2023, 09:32 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,520,404 times
The Paschal program the previous posters are talking about is a "school within a school" program that allows FWISD to track high achiever/ Gifted & Talented kids so they can experience some rigor in the classroom. The high schools in FWISD are so bad that parents will literally sleep in a lawn chair to get a good lottery spot to get into this program. One thing you simply cannot do is throw your children into on-level classes in a public high school in FWISD. They will be traumatized. Go talk to the counselors at the school or something.

My sister that lives in FW did not even consider public. They went straight into private in K, and got into their first choice which was FWCD. They were waitlisted at All Saints.

FWCD is pretty diverse- if you don't count SEC. FW has the same medical community of Nigerian pulmonologists, Indian cardiologists, etc as all the other big cities so there are many cultures represented at the school. You won't find many poor kids though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth