Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 08:44 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,731,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texastim View Post
FW's skyline looks fine as it is, thank you very much! Downtown has a lot to offer. Dallas has the huge skyline for those who want it. Don't see a need for FW to mimic Dallas. Cowtown is unique... special. We oughta keep it that way.
Well I hate the Fort Worth skyline!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 03:00 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,780,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladarron View Post
Well I hate the Fort Worth skyline!
second.... and I'm a lifetime native....

Old 07-17-2009, 11:25 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,794,796 times
The skyline is diminutive for such a large city, but the skyline does not make the city; the people do. And the people of Fort Worth are some of the finest people in the country, if not the world.

Also, downtown FW has so many GREAT places for entertainment.

I agree that for such a large city, FW has a disappointing skyline, but FW has SOOOO much more to offer.

BTW, I too wish that FW had a more impressive skyline. I agree that a skyline kind of represents the "character" of a city, BUT in Fort Worth's case, it certainly doesn't represent the character of this fine city; it's one of the finest cities in the United States.

And BTW, I'm a native Okie....

Last edited by Synopsis; 07-17-2009 at 11:41 AM..

Old 07-19-2009, 09:50 PM

27 posts, read 86,430 times
I frequently drive into Dallas and Houston so when ever I see these skylines (especially Houston's) I always seem to forget how big they are in comparison to Fort Worth's. That being said, I don't dislike FW's skyline and think it is somewhat charming. The DR Horton/ Wells Fargo buildings look neat when you are coming SW on 183 and the Pier One tower is awesome at night. The Omni has added a cool sight on the south part too.

Downtown FW is also MUCH easier to navigate than Dallas or Houston too, so we are lucky in that regard. Remember though, bigger skyline = more people and more congestion. I like it the way it is.

Old 07-20-2009, 12:00 AM
JJG

Like I said many times before, our skyline doesn't have to be HUGE..... but does it really have to look like it does now? I mean, REALLY???

There are always 3 to 4 big gaps in between the skyline from every angle, all but two of the major skyscrapers are blocky/less imaginative fill-ins, and our tallest is just a big white box with a step design on one side and a much smaller box on top of it that doesn't even match the color of the rest of the building.......

Seriously, we don't have to be the next Chicago, but why can't it be better than what it is?

WHY?!?!?!?!?

Old 07-20-2009, 12:46 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,216,800 times
Ft Worth is just right to me. We spent New Years downtown and got treated to an impromptu drum band concert in the middle of the square when the clock struck midnight. Houston is ok for me, but we really loved Ft Worth. Now Dallas is a different story...

Old 07-20-2009, 12:54 PM

21 posts, read 66,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
second.... and I'm a lifetime native....
Lifetime native here, too.

Fort Worth is special because of its character, not its skyline. Seems like more people should respect that fact. If you want a large skyline like Houston or Dallas, move there. Don't try to change this special place.

Old 07-20-2009, 02:15 PM
JJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by texastim View Post
Lifetime native here, too.

Fort Worth is special because of its character, not its skyline. Seems like more people should respect that fact. If you want a large skyline like Houston or Dallas, move there. Don't try to change this special place.
You haven't been reading my last posts...

I don't want Fort Worth's skyline to be like Dallas and Houston.
Besides, even if I did, it would still be impossible by the way downtown Fort Worth is set up....

And some of you are acting like if we add just a few more skyscrapers, it'll suddenly make Fort Worth the worst place in the world.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:11 AM

3 posts, read 18,166 times
the fw skyline does suck - i love how any criticism is met with "we don't want fw to be like dallas, we're a small town feel, etc." when one can have a great downtown with a great skyline and not end up like the wasteland that is downtown dallas.

fw needs to face it that it IS a big city and needs to act like one. downtown fw has a lot of good going for it but there are too many parking lots, never anything significant built outside of the omni, etc. downtown exists now basically as an office park for suburbanites during the week and as a theme park for suburbanites on the weekends. fw is just a mass of bland suburbs that is lucky enough to have a nice downtown but everything in fw moves SOOOOO SLOWLY that it wont change in our lifetimes. slow slow slow city except when it comes to eating up more of mother nature for a bunch of cookie-cutter cardboard subdivisions that comprise 95% of the city already.

Old 08-10-2009, 06:15 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,794,796 times
I find it interesting that a city the size of Tulsa (390K population has such a large skyline; even though most of the buildings are older). Tulsa's skyline evolved many, many years ago. The BOK Tower in Tulsa comes close to 700 feet tall (it's the structure that was designed after the World Trade Centers by the same architect). Tulsa had oil, oil, and more oil to fuel that skyscraper boom in the earlier part of the century, but FW also has had oil. All being said, I still love this city (Fort Worth).

Some pics of Tulsa's downtown....

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth