U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 05:22 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

9,499 posts, read 9,121,297 times
Default Funkytown. The urban side of Ft. Worth

On this forum, you mostly here nothing but good about this city. And alot of the people who live here are proud of the city's Old West image. But no one ever seems to acknowledge the urban side of the city (Yes, there are people in Ft. Worth listen to more than just country music. We don't all wear cowboy hats and boots everyday). Ft. Worth has been mentioned in country songs, but it also has been mentioned in a few hip hop songs, too. Nicknamed "Funkytown", Ft. Worth's urban side and hip hop culture is being exposed, thanks to several Texas rappers, including Fort Worth's own, Twisted Black.
Is this a good thing for the city or is it a bad thing?
Personally, I think it's good that the city is getting some exposure by one of the more popular forms of music, today. It could also help rise the city's popularity. I'm proud of Ft. Worth's Old West heretage, but it's great to show the diversity here.
But, of course, some people will disagree, saying that featuring Fort Worth in the hip hop culture will show the city as a "thug town".

Please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2007, 08:09 AM
JSV

2 posts, read 14,613 times
More popular forms of music?! o.O just because you hear rap more often doesnt mean its more popular........and Fort Worth will be just fine, trust me

Old 01-24-2007, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSV View Post
More popular forms of music?! o.O just because you hear rap more often doesnt mean its more popular........and Fort Worth will be just fine, trust me
Actually, hip hop is more popular. The thing I hate about it is that it's gotten way too commercial like some other forms of music. I know Ft. Worth will be O.K., just as long as city leaders keep working to make sure it's a good city.
Country will be dominant in Ft. Worth for a while, but Hip Hop is on the rise.

Old 02-02-2007, 12:27 PM

122 posts, read 576,795 times
The "Funkytown" side of Fort Worth is broader than just the hip-hop scene, but in my opinion the "urban" flavor of Fort Worth and some hip-hop influence just bring more to the culture of the city. It may not be my type of thing, but it still adds another layer to the feel of the city. There's been a lot more to Fort Worth than just standard, traditional country music for a long time.

Old 02-03-2007, 07:24 AM

23 posts, read 89,220 times
Default Hey guys!!

I'm living in Houston Tx now and will be reloating to Fort Worth this summer and am looking for places to live in the city. I've lived in Dallas before, but haven't been to Fort Worth much. Can you give me some advice? I want to be in the city, but not necessarly downtown, my boy friend will be working in North Richland Hills. Nothing ghetto, has to be nice but still affordable. We're apartment dwellers. I want to be close to the action, not stuck in the suburbs like I am now. We have no children, and are not married. Can you help?? Thanks!!

Piscesgirl

Old 02-05-2007, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piscesgirl View Post
I'm living in Houston Tx now and will be reloating to Fort Worth this summer and am looking for places to live in the city. I've lived in Dallas before, but haven't been to Fort Worth much. Can you give me some advice? I want to be in the city, but not necessarly downtown, my boy friend will be working in North Richland Hills. Nothing ghetto, has to be nice but still affordable. We're apartment dwellers. I want to be close to the action, not stuck in the suburbs like I am now. We have no children, and are not married. Can you help?? Thanks!!

Piscesgirl
The best place to live in here is Southwest Ft. Worth (the Hulen area).
There are alot of houses and Apartments being built here. But there are alot more houses and it feels like a suburb. Then again, about 70% of Ft. Worth feels like a suburb sometimes.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:21 AM

3 posts, read 13,138 times
fort worth has many hip hop artists commercial hiphop is a good thing but also a bad thing we have artists from immortal soilders,twisted black,shawty blast these are the artists that are putting fort "funky town" on the map

Old 02-05-2010, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadgirl817 View Post
fort worth has many hip hop artists commercial hiphop is a good thing but also a bad thing we have artists from immortal soilders,twisted black,shawty blast these are the artists that are putting fort "funky town" on the map
Fort Worth is already on the map.

People just can't see it because it's in Dallas's shadow.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:55 AM

3,555 posts, read 3,939,852 times
The city of Fort Worth needs a big time music artist a rapper. It will bring more exposure to the city. I would like Fort Worth to become a major destination for African Americans, but it seems that the black community is so set on hype or what is percived as being crunk or in. Hip Hop plays a significant role in black migration rather people are willing to acknowledge it or not. Atlanta has been the poster child if this style of marketing.

Old 02-09-2010, 12:21 PM

926 posts, read 1,533,070 times
More exposure to the city? I don't think so. Fort Worth gets alot of exposure from what it has to offer. More exposure=more people=more problems. I don't want FW to become like Dallas or any other big metropolitian city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth