Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 10:10 AM

12 posts, read 42,164 times

Advertisements

Does Anyone Have Any Thoughts On Joshua ? From A Map It Looks Like The Drive Would Not Be Too Bad To Arlington Via Mansfield, And From What I Can Tell On The Internet The Schools Are Good...the Town Web Page Seems To Be Family Orientated...i Value The Forums Opinion, Its Better Than Any Website ! Have A Great Day Everybody !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2007, 07:11 PM

9 posts, read 45,443 times
Default Joshua, TX is Country living close to the Metroplex

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebonnettgal View Post
Does Anyone Have Any Thoughts On Joshua ? From A Map It Looks Like The Drive Would Not Be Too Bad To Arlington Via Mansfield, And From What I Can Tell On The Internet The Schools Are Good...the Town Web Page Seems To Be Family Orientated...i Value The Forums Opinion, Its Better Than Any Website ! Have A Great Day Everybody !

Joshua is sort of like an extension to Burleson, The area is growing quite rapidly, home values are on the rise and the trend is expected to continue, Joshua has a country look and feel with the convenience of shopping and dining, less than 15 minutes away. If your looking for a place to ride your horses, wide open spaces, a place where you can sit on the porch and watch the stars come out at night than you will probably love Joshua. Joshua schools rated academically acceptable.
Mansfield is also nice, brand new homes being built on large lots by custom home builders in great neighborhoods. Mansfield has excellent schools.

Moderator cut: realtor advertising

Last edited by AustinTraveler; 02-10-2007 at 07:18 PM.. Reason: Read Terms of Service please; no advertising.

Old 02-14-2007, 01:19 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
Default about Joshua

My son dated a girl in college who was from Joshua--this is about 15 years ago -- so I don't know about current situation...
but her main complaint was that the large number of Seventh Day Adventists in the area (because of the Adventist college in Keene) were a real negative factor....they are very conservative in their behavior and religious beliefs (especially to her as a teenager) and she felt they made living around there claustrophobic because they were a vocal majority and influenced the tenor of the town.....

that might appeal to you---but it is very possible that that even what is fairly right of middle of the road to most people might be too liberal in that area...like buying beer/wine/liquor without a 20 mile drive to the next town -- buying alcohol was prohibited back then and don't know that it is different now...

Schools, depends on the districts and I am not sure about specific ratings but think they might be favoring teaching "creationism" instead of scientific practices like Darwin's theory and facts of evolution and reality of dinosaurs....some people in that area really doubt the Earth's origin as explained by geological history and believe that it is only like 10,000 years old....maybe you are comfortable with that...but I would worry about my children being lead along those lines, especially if I wanted them to attend a top-rated college...You should check what is being taught in classrooms and do search for stories about the area to see what pops up...

Regarding the drive to Arlington via Mansfield--that is pretty far way and could be bad idea--usually 2 lane county roads for most of the way--Mansfield is growing and has lot of traffic now--not many choices of roads to take either from what I remember...

Last edited by loves2read; 02-14-2007 at 01:25 PM.. Reason: also

Old 02-14-2007, 08:22 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,376,939 times
try Alavarado, much better choice

Old 02-14-2007, 08:33 PM

12 posts, read 42,164 times
Thank you Loves2read and Bellestar ! I appreciate your input very much !

Old 02-16-2007, 09:46 AM

7 posts, read 47,752 times
Hi Bluebonnetgal,

In regards to Joshua. I have friends and Family that live in Joshua and in Burleson, which is just north of Joshua. My personal opinion is that if you are looking to work in Arlington Joshua is a bad idea. It is going to take you at least 45 minutes to an hour to get to Arlington during rush hour traffic and at the very minimum without rush hour traffic you are still looking at 40-45 minutes. However, I do like Burleson and Joshua a lot. Very nice and friendly country type people. The schools are not so great there and if I had to choose between Burleson Schools or Joshua I would most definitely go with Joshua.......If I were you I would really put some serious thought into Mansfield. Mansfield is a great area and the schools there are awesome. Depending on which part of Mansfield you live in, you could easily get to Arlington in 15 minutes or less.

Good luck and let me know if I can help....I grew up here all of my life and am a former Real Estate Agent and I am very familiar with the Fort Worth area.....

P.S. Even thought I appreciate what loves2read has to say about everything....She couldn't be more wrong about the drive time and roads to and from Mansfield to Arlington. Mansfield has grown leaps and bounds and they are continuing to improve the roads. In most cases Mansfield and Arlington are just a few streets away from eachother..........Further more what they teach in most schools is education such as math, reading, writing, science a little history, and they don't put much time and thought into Darwin's theory. Like most normal people they leave that up to the parents to teach their kids....I will say that this area and most areas in Texas are very geared towards christanity....That is a good thing....God is Good!!!!

Thanks,

CAT

Old 02-16-2007, 09:49 AM

7 posts, read 47,752 times
P.S.S....Alvarado is even further than Joshua....Bad choice if you are working in Arlington. Moderator cut: advertising.

Last edited by AustinTraveler; 02-16-2007 at 01:11 PM.. Reason: please use PM

Old 04-15-2007, 06:15 AM

2,267 posts, read 3,295,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellestaroftexas View Post
try Alavarado, much better choice
OH please, Alvarado is a cess pool, I used to dispatch for the police department there, if your looking for easily accessible meth then thats the place for you.

The Johnson county Sheriff department used to call it Sodom for a reason, I met a $5 hooker there, I came into work and there she stood, skank does not begin to describe.

Driving from Joshua to Arlington will take you about an hour...assuming you hit it all perfect...I used to drive from Keene up to UTA in Arlington, I had to be really boggying to get there.

Old 04-15-2007, 07:35 AM

2,639 posts, read 3,222,465 times
Personally, I would chose Joshua over Alvarado. I believe it's a bit more dignified, if you will, and the crime ratings are quite a bit less in Joshua.

The drive would be fine to Arlington via Mansfield. I truly believe you would only find "rush hour" on the interstates.

Farm to Market Road 917 is a delightful country drive from Joshua through Lillian through Mansfield to FM 157 which changes into Cooper Street in Arlington. Going this way I believe would take less than an hour to the Arlington city limits.

My daughter lives in Grand Prairie and this is the route I have taken many times all the way to her house. I don't do interstates; they're just too crazy for me. I love scenery and peaceful drives.

Old 07-08-2007, 10:04 AM

1 posts, read 7,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebonnettgal View Post

I have lived in Johsua for 10 years now. Unfortunately, you really can't go by the voice of disgruntled teenager on a second hand account. Joshua has been a nice place to live. If anything was prominant 10 years ago when we moved here with our 4 children it was the Baptists. Now it has a good mix of religions. Yes, it is a Christian centered town (which is one of the things we have loved about it.). However changes have occurred. I agree the schools back then were a little backward, but they never taught either darwanism or creationism, as someone else pointed out that was left up to the parents. With the changes to our community over the 10 years we have seen many wonderful strides to help our children be successful in the world beyond High School. We moved here after living 17 years in Arlington. My husband works for Vought at the old Navy Air Station in Grand Prairie, most days his commute is an hour long. To him it is worth it to have the country feeling when he is not at work. I don't really think it matter much which way you take either highway or country roads if you do not want an hour commute this is not the area for you. However, other than that it has many great advantages. Country living, small town community feeling (which at times yes can be annoying if you are used to big city living.) I would definitely recommend Joshua it has been a good place for us. Now you have to decide if this is where you want to be. I am also not a realtor trying to get you to relocate here or anywhere else for that matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth