U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-19-2008, 10:24 PM

1 posts, read 2,626 times

Advertisements

Hi guys, I've been researching this for about 3 weeks now and the information just flows in so many directions that you end up re-researching the same stuff to verify what you hoped you got right the first time:P

I just took a job working off of 377 just a little north of I20. They are contributing to my rent, and are paying enough to move me here, while my wife (a teacher) and my kids wait at least until the end of the year to catch up, but otherwise will move up by end of may 09.

We lived in Austin for ten years, and seeing the downtown in Ft Worth was just beautiful. Clean, lots of walkers, lots of kids with parents, not quite the Drag of course, but for a 36 yr old who has done some travelling, and lived in some small places, I'm really leaning towards downtown.

But as I said I have some kids A 2 yr old and a 7 yr old. And the wife that's a teacher needs some very good schools. We've found some places in the tanglewood dist we like off of Hulen too, and hey gotta love Central Market

If you were mid 30s with 2 munchkins, would you be living downtown ft worth? I have a MA in History so don't worry it's not the bars..I'm thinking cultural experiences for them (museum, Bass Hall, etc) The Historic Electric Building seems interesting, as does the Trinity Bluff place. But the itch in the back of my head really wonders about potential schools as early as this Jan 09, and night time crime if I decided to walk to a movie, or worse have my family in on a weekend showing off the downtown at night and getting mugged.

Were the safety not an issue, does anyone like the downtown school district? And while I'm gonna be doing pretty well, private tuition for them is probably a stretch for a little bit.

Thanks for any advice/recommendation, I'm not sure if I'm trying to repress my inner urbanite or live within spitting distance of Central Market
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2008, 07:22 AM

14,619 posts, read 27,546,677 times
almost anyplace is driveable in 15-20 min
I would not recommend living downtown with two children--there are no grocery stores for one thing so no way to get that last-minute carton of milk or box of cereal...
while you see families walking downtown they are visiting I am sure--and return home to one of the suburb parts of the FTW area when they are done--ther eis not a lot of green space inside Sundance and where there IS greenspace there are grackles that the city can't seem to evict...

were you there on weekend? was there a festival/party of some sort--many times there are on weekends...
definitely suggest finding a home outside downtown...

Old 10-21-2008, 09:06 PM

170 posts, read 400,957 times
I second loves2read. Downtown is very accessible compared to many other cities. It's not too large, and parking is (or was when we left in 2005) free on evenings and weekends.

I'd recommend living reasonably close to your job. Check out the neighborhoods near Cityview and Oakmont Parks, just west of Bryant Irvin Rd. If you could swing Trinity Valley School, the location would be perfect. I don't know a thing about the public schools down that way, but it's a somewhat affluent area.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:33 AM

14,619 posts, read 27,546,677 times
there are good public schools in FTW ISD--Paschall is an excellent hs--but you have to be selective and sometimes the area for the school does not fit what you are looking for in a house...
I will PM an MLS site with good links for schools that is very searchable...

Old 09-16-2012, 09:18 PM

1 posts, read 752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anxious2move View Post
Hi guys, I've been researching this for about 3 weeks now and the information just flows in so many directions that you end up re-researching the same stuff to verify what you hoped you got right the first time:P

I just took a job working off of 377 just a little north of I20. They are contributing to my rent, and are paying enough to move me here, while my wife (a teacher) and my kids wait at least until the end of the year to catch up, but otherwise will move up by end of may 09.

We lived in Austin for ten years, and seeing the downtown in Ft Worth was just beautiful. Clean, lots of walkers, lots of kids with parents, not quite the Drag of course, but for a 36 yr old who has done some travelling, and lived in some small places, I'm really leaning towards downtown.

But as I said I have some kids A 2 yr old and a 7 yr old. And the wife that's a teacher needs some very good schools. We've found some places in the tanglewood dist we like off of Hulen too, and hey gotta love Central Market

If you were mid 30s with 2 munchkins, would you be living downtown ft worth? I have a MA in History so don't worry it's not the bars..I'm thinking cultural experiences for them (museum, Bass Hall, etc) The Historic Electric Building seems interesting, as does the Trinity Bluff place. But the itch in the back of my head really wonders about potential schools as early as this Jan 09, and night time crime if I decided to walk to a movie, or worse have my family in on a weekend showing off the downtown at night and getting mugged.

Were the safety not an issue, does anyone like the downtown school district? And while I'm gonna be doing pretty well, private tuition for them is probably a stretch for a little bit.

Thanks for any advice/recommendation, I'm not sure if I'm trying to repress my inner urbanite or live within spitting distance of Central Market
Hello,
Now we are in the same situation you were a couple of years ago. We have been leaving in Austin in a really nice neighborhood for the last two years ( called Mueller). Now he have to move to Fort Worth. My husband's office is gonna be at the intersection of I 35 west and 820. We have 2 kids ( 6 and 4 years old). We are in our mid 30s and we like to live close to the city but our only concern about living in downtown will be the schools.
By now the only neighborhoods we've visited are Heritage and Southlake. We don't know yet if in downtown are single family houses around our budget (<400K)
We will appreciate your help.
Thanks

Old 09-17-2012, 08:41 AM

87 posts, read 79,871 times
Search the forum for the neighborhoods Tanglewood, Overton West, Berkeley Heights and Ridgelea Hills.

Tanglewood Elm, Lilly B Clayton Elem and Ridgelea Hills Elm are really good. Tanglewood and Clayton feed into Paschal High which is the best high school in FWISD as far as academics and Ridgelea Hills feeds into Arlington Heights High which has good sports programs. As far as cost you can find homes under 400 in all three schools’ areas, though Tanglewood will be the hardest, then Calyon and then Ridgelea.

There are some really nice neighborhood near downtown that allow you to have the convenience of living near downtown and the cultural district while getting a good education for your kids. Though in most of these areas the houses are going to be older, a lot of young families are moving into the area. We have kids the same age and have found being able to run over to the zoo, parks and museums invaluable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth