U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 08:03 PM

10 posts, read 26,553 times

Advertisements

Hello Texas! We are from Iowa, home of the "Heartland", and glaciers. We can't wait to feel the sun, and will need to thaw out after this winter. We love Iowa after 20+ yrs, but the winters suck! Both of us are California natives...wouldn't go back. Okay, so my husband has a job opportunity on the south central side, and I have an opportunity at Plaza Medical Center. We are both very excited to be coming to the Fort Worth area and looking for some advise on where to plant our roots.

We are both professionals, conservative, and looking for a place to call home. Our ideal location is a safe, family oriented neighborhood (180-250K), reasonable commute times (<30 mn), a desirable high school (9th grader), lots of recreation, and friendly neighbors to entertain.

Any thoughts? Please reply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 08:28 PM

13,180 posts, read 13,085,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNhottie View Post
Hello Texas! We are from Iowa, home of the "Heartland", and glaciers. We can't wait to feel the sun, and will need to thaw out after this winter. We love Iowa after 20+ yrs, but the winters suck! Both of us are California natives...wouldn't go back. Okay, so my husband has a job opportunity on the south central side, and I have an opportunity at Plaza Medical Center. We are both very excited to be coming to the Fort Worth area and looking for some advise on where to plant our roots.

We are both professionals, conservative, and looking for a place to call home. Our ideal location is a safe, family oriented neighborhood (180-250K), reasonable commute times (<30 mn), a desirable high school (9th grader), lots of recreation, and friendly neighbors to entertain.

You might want to look at Mansfield if you are the Suburban type and the area around TCU/Hulen/Arlington Heights High School for more urban/cultural things to do.

Old 02-03-2009, 08:39 PM

30,124 posts, read 47,353,596 times
my vote would go for Hurst, Bedford, Grapevine/North Euless, some parts of NRichland Hills, and Keller
are in your budget and have good schools, parks, youth activities, entertainment, shopping, safe neighborhoods

Grapevine-Colleyville ISD, HEB ISD, Birdville ISD, some parts of Keller ISD are stronger than Mansfield or the southern ISD...
Aledo west of FTW has larger lots someplaces but not many trees or green grass--that is where the Great Plains topography starts--and there is a definite difference in the lie of the land from the Dallas Lakes and Prairies style...

Old 02-03-2009, 08:43 PM

13,180 posts, read 13,085,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
my vote would go for Hurst, Bedford, Grapevine/North Euless, some parts of NRichland Hills, and Keller
are in your budget and have good schools, parks, youth activities, entertainment, shopping, safe neighborhoods

Grapevine-Colleyville ISD, HEB ISD, Birdville ISD, some parts of Keller ISD are stronger than Mansfield or the southern ISD...
Aledo west of FTW has larger lots someplaces but not many trees or green grass--that is where the Great Plains topography starts--and there is a definite difference in the lie of the land from the Dallas Lakes and Prairies style...

Even with the drive across town? They are both working South of downtown.

Old 02-04-2009, 02:18 PM

293 posts, read 768,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNhottie View Post

Also consider Burleson, Aledo, Northwest ISD (Saginaw, Eagle Mtn Lake, points north). Keller is very popular but transient with a lot of newcomers and therefore less of a community feel, and in my opinion the school district is overrated, even if the test scores are good. Grapevine-Colleyville and HEB - which may or may not have been mentioned - are both excellent, but the commutes to where you work would be killer. School districts are everything in the DFW area, but in my experience a lot of it is overhyped. You obviously want to avoid some of the worst performing schools, but there's relatively little difference between some of the school districts. A few points difference on average test scores can make or break a school district and the nearby housing values, but often it doesn't mean that the quality of education will be inferior or that the school environment will be bad for your child.

Last edited by wanderer74; 02-04-2009 at 03:07 PM..

Old 02-04-2009, 03:44 PM

17 posts, read 55,436 times
I think Mansfield is the best place to be for you. Close to highways to get to Fort Worth and Dallas. Lots of family entertainment within a few miles and far enough out of the city that it is a nice suburb.

Old 02-04-2009, 04:58 PM

10 posts, read 26,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phxtodfw View Post
I think Mansfield is the best place to be for you. Close to highways to get to Fort Worth and Dallas. Lots of family entertainment within a few miles and far enough out of the city that it is a nice suburb.
I read something about an issue with water usage in Mansfield. Can anyone explain this?

Old 02-05-2009, 08:33 AM

30,124 posts, read 47,353,596 times
personally I think anything north of 1709 in Keller would be a pain to drive in from because of getting TO the freeway into downtown--377 is just not that easy with construction going on and all the lights--I-35 is a pain as well because it is so overcrowded and if there is accident no place to pull off
so I would only look are far north as Mid-Cities or Tarrant Parkway---Precinct Line is under construction for the next year and that is big artery for people who live in NRHills and Keller/Colleyville areas to get to 183 and traffic is horrible on it right now...

Grapevine has issues with the 114/121/183 system because it is crowded but there are some workarounds if you know the area and depending on where you buy

we live in Hurst/Bedford area close to 183--my husband works just off Sundance Sq in FTW--takes him 20 min to get back and forth--Plaza is on 8th st--not that far away...and she might be working hrs that would be off normal commute time...when we had ice a week or so my husband came out of downtown on Hwy 26/Belknap so it is possible to get into/out of downtown w/o even getting on freeway if you have to which is kind of nice option...takes a little longer but really not any traffic...

the water issue in Mansfield is for specifically a community on the west side that is not on city water--it is really not INSIDE the city limits of Mansfield probably but an unencorporated part of the county and uses a Mansfield address for mail purposes--the developer drilled one water well and put in a water system--that well does not support the needs of the people who have bought homes in that area--they have very restricted water especially in the summer--this well is probably not deep enough into a better water table but shallower is cheaper to drill---he has promised the homeowners that he will drill a second well to increase capacity but has failed to do so for several years...
believe me that area/subdivision also has significant numbers of foreclosures--
streets are already showing signs of failure with sinking/cracked pavements the last time we drove through about a year ago...

if you buy a house on larger lot you may have to drill your own water well--water tables can be tricky and water can ebb/flow depending on how many wells are drawing from that level at a given time...
you need to get well driller that knows the area and has some background in geology frankly...

that being said--DFW is in a drought--have had minimal rain this year (09) when normally we have pretty good winter rain---got little last year--so the lake levels are down--some cities are under normal conditions because they are just ignoring the problem because they get water from outsourcing and just pass along a higher rate to their customers...some citis are doing voluntary water rationing--incouraging reduction in outside watering and other uses...

Old 02-05-2009, 08:59 AM

14,969 posts, read 14,218,645 times
If you're going to be on the south side of Fort Worth, you could try for a home in the Paschal HS area. Anywhere in the TCU area. Paschal is thought of as pretty much the best public high school in the FWISD. And you wouldn't have to commute from outside Fort Worth.

Old 02-06-2009, 12:45 PM

195 posts, read 437,802 times
A strategy you may want to consider:
Take some of the suggestions here and find an area you think you'll like, and rent for a year.
During this time put all the stuff you really don't need into storage.
Also during this time learn the area and traffic patterns, shopping, restaurants, recreation areas, etc.
Figure out what neighborhood you might really like.
Patiently look for deals on a house during this time because they will probably be out there, and then when you find it - go for it!
The downside with this is you have to move twice and it doesn't help the kids if there's a chance they'd have to change schools again.
Other:
My kids were going into 8th and 10th grades and survived a move from the midwest just fine.
My sister lives in Bettendorf, IA and I love calling her once a week to tell her how warm and sunny it is in the winter.
Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or