Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 06:32 PM

9 posts, read 40,952 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone! My wife and I are seriously considering retiring to Texas from California as this state is getting unbearable in so many ways. We have looked online at a LOT of areas and like the area around Sherman and Denison (from what we've seen online). We are planning a visit this Spring just to sort of check out the areas we are considering moving to. It seems everyone I talk to here in California has different views of Texas and where the best spot might be to light for the duration.
A couple of people have told me to avoid the Red River area, others say stay 200 miles north of the gulf, others are telling me the prettiest spots are here and there, kinda gets a little confusing. Here are some things we are looking for, hopefully you might know if this area really fits the bill. BTW, I have to be within 50-60 miles of a larger metropolitan area. It looks like Denison and Sherman at least fit THAT bill.
Since we are from California, we know earthquakes, but tornados are new to us. It looks like that area is smack dad in the midde of "tornado alley." What's the reasonable take on tornado danger in that area?
We are looking for a town of about 20-25,000 folks and would like a nice historic district with as many antiques stores as are humanly possible. IS this area a fit?
We would also like to buy an old/older house (c.1880-1930), Denison and Sherman look like they have a lot of old houses, but any other suggestions?
Is there a humidity difference between this area and the San Antonio area? Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I just don't have a clue!
How is the Red River and/or Lake Texoma for fishing and boating?
Finally, and I almost hate asking this, but years ago, when visiting Oregon or Washington, there was a clear anti-California sentiment there, for reasons that I never really understood. I'm just assuming that that isn't the case in Texas and that regular folks are welcome from anywhere! We just want to buy an old house, antique and fish!!
I have talked to more than a few people that have recently moved to Tesxas from California and are just raving about what a great place it is to live.Anyway, thanks in advance for any help you can give!
Dennis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2007, 08:37 PM

1,379 posts, read 6,424,716 times
Hiya We just moved out here from Northern California area. You should definately come and check it out here.

I am not familiar with where you are looking at, but I can answer some of your questions.

There are a lot of people from all over that move here, but a lot of Californians have moved out here. Where in California I would keep to myself and mind my own business, it has been wonderful to actually have someone take the time to say Hello and How are you? and really mean it!

When you drive around, especially in a neighborhood, you always wave hello if not, we call them Californians hehe..

We just moved my Mom out and we finally sold our house while we moved her out and moved again about three weeks after her.

My Mom is retired and to her it is so nice to be around people that have great values and just friendly. My mom moved to Saginaw, it reminded her of where she grew up in the valley but with modern conveniences.

As far as the humidity, we flew in last August into Austin at the hottest part of their summer and it was sticky in Austin and not so much up here in the Fort Worth area. So with San Antonion being farther south than Austin, I can imagine that it would be much worse.

We actually had some tornados touch down in California as well We bought a storm radio that has the NOAH reports so if there are any warnings and watches we know before they hit the radio or tv. They have gotten it down pretty well where you can be alerted before something happens. Its very cool to be in a place that actually has variable weather

Good luck in your search!!

Old 03-18-2007, 09:12 PM

11 posts, read 49,312 times
I was born and raised in Sherman, TX. I graduated from SHS in 1981 and now live in Arlington. All my family still lives there. It is a great place to live and if my husband had his job there, I wouldn't mind moving back at all. It is not a suburb, but a city unto itself. Everything you could need is there from Panera Bread to Target. Schools are good. My brother-in-law spends half his life on Lake Texoma and the fishing is good.

Is there a bias against Californians? Well, yes there is. If you are friendly and can take a little ribbing, it'll be fine. If you come in and want to tell us how stupid and uneducated and uptight we are, well, obviously, you won't make any friends. My mother's pastor and his wife moved from California to take the job and they both absolutely love it. In fact, their worship pastor followed them on their advice. His wife tells a funny story about the first time she went to Wal Mart and couldn't believe the greeter actually greeted her, the cashier asked her how her day was going--and meant it! Texans are friendly, small town Texans are very friendly. It is a conservative community. Many people have parents and grandparents who all graduated from SHS, grew up in the area, etc. Lots of roots.

I can probably answer any specific questions. I know a good realtor, too, if you need one.

Old 03-18-2007, 10:27 PM

Default Thanks!

Thanks Sooz2 & Guingirl! Nice to get some positive feedback! Sounds good on the storm radio, especially since you are from NoCal, Guingirl! I went to college at SFSU, so I at least know the Bay Area fairly well and it's encouraging that you like you new Texas home! Also nice to know that people are friendly. I remember when California was a friendly place and people knew each other, and cared about their neighbors, but it's not like that now. Really heartbreaking for us to see what's happened here.
As far as the friendly bias towards Californians, Sooz, I can take a little ribbing, no problem. I used to vist my grandfather in northern Nebraska and he was always telling me to "go suck the tailpipe on my car" so I wouldn't die from "fresh air poisoning!" A little kidding doesn't bother me at all! And stupidity isn't regional, believe me, there is plenty here to go around!!!
Which town has the coolest historic section, Sherman or Denison and if you could, could you give me a little comparison between the two towns? We just can't believe the housing prices, but I understand the property tax rate is a little steep and do you know how much the tornado insurance runs?
How about antique shops, are there a bunch in either place! We have CATS, so how is the flea-chigger-bug-situation there.
A fellow I talked to today said the Red River was a "mudhole"????? It looked pretty in the pictures we saw.
Do you get tornados every year? When I tried to check that out, I found that in 1897 and 1957 there were F5 tornados that resulted in deaths, but are there smaller twisters every year? Earthquakes don't bother me, I can sleep right through one, but I almost got caught in a tornado in Oklahoma in 1978 and it sort of freaked me out. I suppose you get used to that stuff.
I understand there is a large artist presence in Denison, is that true?? A lot of galleries, etc? We would love that! Anyway, enough jibbering tonight, thanks to both of you for your repsonse and looking forward to hearing from both of you again.
Dennis

Old 03-18-2007, 11:09 PM

2,639 posts, read 3,222,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mothballman View Post
Finally, and I almost hate asking this, but years ago, when visiting Oregon or Washington, there was a clear anti-California sentiment there, for reasons that I never really understood. I'm just assuming that that isn't the case in Texas and that regular folks are welcome from anywhere!
Well, they has been some "talk" about Californians and Yankess on some of these threads. Hopefully when you move here, you won't be referred to as a Yankee like I was, and I'm from California. To this day, that cracks me up.

I'm sure there are other threads about the same, but you can get a preview of one under "Texas" and it's called, "Which Texas small towns or cities....." Right now, it's still on the first page of the "Texas" forum.

I wouldn't worry about it too much though. They usually warm up after one has lived here long enough although I've been here 28 years from Burbank, and a teacher at work found out last year I was from CA and he commented, "I wouldn't let too many people know that if I "wuz" you." So 28 years later, I still get some flack.

Old 03-19-2007, 07:45 AM

3 posts, read 7,604 times
Default "Damn Yankees and California Fruitcakes"

LOL. I had to chuckle at this thread. I was born in PA and raised in SoCal. I am moving to the Austin area from TN. Here in TN, as I imagine it is most places, you are generally accepted regardless of where you come from, as long as you don't come in with a superior attitude. I've been here in TN for 10 years now and have never had a problem. I've taken some light ribbing, but I usually make a joke out of it before someone else gets a chance to. When people ask we where I'm from, I usually say "I don't know what's worse. Saying I'm a "damn Yankee or a California fruitcake". This usually elicits a laugh and sets people at ease. I hate to say it, but having lived in CA for a good part of my life, I've too often seen people who do act like they're superior because they're "from" CA - whether they were born there or not. Personally, you couldn't pay me to move back to CA although my family is still there. At any rate, I think that if you go to a new place feeling like you are going to be discriminated against for any reason, it makes it that much more likely that you will. You may not be aware of it, but your anxieties about it will show and that will cause a negative response from others. Just like so many of us want foreigners to assimilate into our society and culture, you need to assimilate when moving to another part of the country. Doesn't mean that you have to give up who you are, but you do need to recognize that, as the newcomer, you are the one who will need to make some adjustments. If you're not comfortable or capable of that, then perhaps it's not a good move. Having said this, I've never stepped foot anywhere close to Austin and hope I'm not wrong! : )

Old 03-19-2007, 09:20 AM

Default WHEW!!! Those Darn Californians!!!!

Thanks KewGee & SharSy! I see what you are talking about SharSy. I was stationed in Georiga in 1970 before I went to Vietnam and my buddy had his car there with CA plates on it. Everytime we went through a small town the sheriff would pull us over and give us the "Steers & *****s" routine. Boy, I guess on the other side of the coin, everyone thinks Californians live in LA or SF! I live in the Mojave desert and the terrain is a lot like West Texas anyway. Most of the people I know who are leaving CA are doing so to escape the gangs, crime, overcrowding, etc. I know that attitude has got to be in the minority though and we are coming nonetheless! I think we can make all the adjustments needed to fit in no problem and I don't think we'll have much of a problem.
I have a buddy whom I went to college with; he and his wife live in Austin. He was telling me how expensive the Austin area was, but in looking at Realtor.Com, it didn't look expensive at all. The hill country in general seems to be a little pricey-er, not exactly sure why, I guess the terrain isn't quite as flat?
Anyway, getting all this information is really nice and I apprecaite everyone's time in posting replies! THANKS!!!
Dennis

Old 03-19-2007, 09:36 AM

4,610 posts, read 11,099,432 times
Mothballman, Have you checked out Granbury yet? It is 30 minutes South West of Fort Worth. There are lots of retirees here. That is what Granbury is = retiress and people with second homes on or near the lake. There is a lake (boating and fishing), lots of land, lots of historical homes and lots of antique shopping. Down around the "Granbury Square" you can get a historical home on the water even. There are lots of Bed and Breakfast here also. There are lots of people from California and everywhere else for that matter here. I live in Granbury and I'm from Calif but we are moving back to the west coast (beach people). But really, Granbury sounds like what you are looking for.
[url] http://tx-granbury.civicplus.com/ [url]

Last edited by Roma; 03-19-2007 at 10:00 AM..

Old 03-19-2007, 10:19 AM

Thanks Roma! I'll give Granbury a look! We have been in CA all our lives, my wife was born 10 miles from here, but we just have to get out of here! Geez, if we go to the beach anymore, we go up to Ventura or Santa Barbara, far fewer problems up there. Of course, who could afford to live there??? I just talked to a guy who is selling his parents home here. they ilive in Leona Valley, which is a nice little hill community west of here. the house is 1700 sq. ft and they are asking $460K!!! That's JUST INSANE!!!!! Everything here is from the "low 300k's to the upper 400K's". I don't know how my chuildren will EVER afford a house in CA. They are luring people in with these interest only loans and in a year or so, the foreclosures here are going to be staggering. If the old rule that your house payment shouldn't exceed 30% of your income still applies, that means you'd have to make at least 10,000 a month to afford to live in a tract home. CRAZY!
THANKS for the info!!!!
Dennis

Old 03-19-2007, 12:57 PM

2,639 posts, read 3,222,922 times
Well, I must say that I know many Texans with superior attitudes than I'd like to. Like any place, you have the "holier than thous". Texas is no different than California. I'm just a simple older lady who couldn't care less that she once lived in CA except I have many wonderful memories of living there. In the 28 years I've been away, a lot has changed. It's very sad to see such a great and beautiful area deteriorate. Because of this, I'm better off in Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth