Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 11:44 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,885,186 times

Advertisements

Anyone can use the Keller parks ... Bear creek park being the biggest with the nicest facilites.

Teh Keller Pointe is the rec center with gym, indoor outdoor pool etc... ANYONE can use it and become a member. Keller residents (in the city of keller) pay less to use it and get membership discounts, discount tickets for 6flags etc... BUT ANYONE can be a member. There are actually quiet a few Southlake residents who are members since southlake doesn't have a big rec center.

Schools...yes the test scores etc.. are better east of 377 but do your research there are good schools (and a few bad ones east of 377) Check out the SAT score and the Merit scholarship finalist etc...
I prefer Central HS to Fossil HS zone. (IMO) More with admistation etc... going to HS tennis tournaments during the school day is an eye opener!!

Really look at the Middle schools over there that is where there seems to be a big problem, by HS the kids who want to succed will and those who don't care seem to fall through the cracks.

There are a couple of Elem schools to avoid...any elem with an acceptable rating I would avoid.

Since you are working at Lockheed I would alos look into Northwest ISD and Aledo ISD. I loved the town of Aledo and the schools are well regaurded but smaller than Keller. It was just too far of a commute for work.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2009, 09:57 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,844,229 times
ok--meant to say that it is free to Keller residents--(I belive that is correct)
we have friends whose kids swim with the Keller teams and they live in bedford

Old 03-25-2009, 02:21 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,885,186 times
Quote:
meant to say that it is free to Keller residents--(I belive that is correct)
?? the Pointe? nope not free just a reduced rate for daily admission and the yearly membership.

Swim Teams are at the Natatorium and they too have a recreational swim times but again Not free.

Kids Fest is this weekend at Bear Creek park Fri night and Sat all day. Bands and rides etc... it's free to all. If your in town stop by and check it out.

Old 03-25-2009, 03:42 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,974,480 times
Keller is boring....Why don't you look at the neighborhoods around TCU or Hulen?

You'll be closer to work, closer to better dining, museums, cultural events, zoo's etc.

It's a much prettier area with old growth trees....

The only downside I see here would be the public schools. But if you live in the right area, in the Arlington Heights High area, with associated Jr. High's and Elementaries it's not that bad.

Old 03-29-2009, 08:22 PM

16 posts, read 49,569 times
If I were lookign for a home in a gated community; which areas would I look in? I'm trying to stay under 300K. I know that may be tough but I'm trying for a stretch (and a lucky one at that).

Thanks,

Old 03-30-2009, 04:57 PM

47 posts, read 186,962 times
Look at homes off of Heritage Trace Pkwy. close to the Alliance area.

AllianceTexas.com

Old 03-31-2009, 08:40 PM

6 posts, read 18,024 times
We have lived in keller for 17 years. We have witnessed the growth, the good and the bad. We believe that Keller ISD is overrated. For the longest time you could only get a teaching position if your daddy knew someone, you grew up here, or you were a member of First Baptist Church of Keller. Don't believe me? Go to services at FBCK and see how many teachers are there from your child's school.
The drug problem at the HS is real, and very much alive in Keller. The police face a difficult time with parents who allow their teens to indulge in alcohol and drugs with marijuana being a major problem.
If you are basing your beliefs on Keller being a good school district, are you basing this on the TAKS scores? Then you must ask yourself what does this high stakes test really show about the district?
Weighing all the options I would seriously consider BISD, NWISD or GCISD.
Both of our children are in college now and can see the differences in the educational experiences of their peers who are not from KISD.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:02 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,974,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomcat25 View Post
We have lived in keller for 17 years. We have witnessed the growth, the good and the bad. We believe that Keller ISD is overrated. For the longest time you could only get a teaching position if your daddy knew someone, you grew up here, or you were a member of First Baptist Church of Keller. Don't believe me? Go to services at FBCK and see how many teachers are there from your child's school.
The drug problem at the HS is real, and very much alive in Keller. The police face a difficult time with parents who allow their teens to indulge in alcohol and drugs with marijuana being a major problem.
If you are basing your beliefs on Keller being a good school district, are you basing this on the TAKS scores? Then you must ask yourself what does this high stakes test really show about the district?
Weighing all the options I would seriously consider BISD, NWISD or GCISD.
Both of our children are in college now and can see the differences in the educational experiences of their peers who are not from KISD.
Birdville ISD? I substituted there. It's was more of a child day care operation.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:29 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,844,229 times
the truth is that what was said about Keller is true about any district in this area--or the state--or any state probably...
there are good/bad teachers or other personnel at any school/district--some kids do better than others for variety of reasons--most kids don't learn good study habits or have really demanding standards to measure their academic success--that is why colleges complain about the quality of their entering freshmen being so woefully low in reading/writing/math skills...

around here they are ALL incestuous in whom they hire--once people get to be principals or admins in personnel they use their hiring slots very preferencially--they have desireable jobs and lots of people want them--they say they are selective to hire better qualified candidates but many, many times it is more about who you know than what person can do-- just to get an interview even
often times they hire children of other teachers, children of friends, someone known to someone on their team--it is called networking now and is what most people agree is the way to find a job--
of course it hurts most when someone else uses it to get job you wanted--sometimes these people make great teachers, but sometimes it is nepotism at its worst...

face it--there are drugs and helicopter parents in almost any school you take a close look at...
I know part of our mantra when trying to get our kids through high school alive--was that in 5-10 yrs our kids would not know or care about the opinion of the people important to them in 9-10-11-12 grade...
I know my daughter and son have kept friends from those years--but most of them were friends even BEFORE high school--some from elementary years--but most of the people they came in contact with that created such drama in their lives then are gone out of their lives now...good riddance for the most part...

I do think Keller is over-rated because I think it is very insular in its thinking...it is a "closed" system --at least until the last school board election--all the conflict over the superintendent and his direction for the district vs the school board members who did not want to give up their authority...now that the board has members from both sides of 377 it will be interesting to see if they can provide leadership that will benefit the students...

NWISD is also overrated IMO--most people did not even know it was there 3 years ago--check out the low number of national merit scholars--there will be lot of pressure from all the new people moving in the district to upgrade the programs/scores and make it competitive with "upscale" districts like Southlake Carroll --but NW does not have the same demographics...going to be difficult...

Old 04-02-2009, 12:07 PM

54 posts, read 204,637 times
Yes, I have started my attempts to get my toe in the door (not quite a foot) for my job search in a couple of years (maybe less) when I graduate... "Oh, you're a teacher... can I use you?" is basically what I've found myself saying a few times when I meet new people. And usually they are very understanding that it's a political "who you know" and so they are more than happy to help. I'm hoping that my friend of a friend who's a teacher and who's mom is a teacher will eventually pay off. So sad!

My boyfriend works for a large investment company and it took him six months to get the job (3 interviews)... On the third interview, the boss hadn't given him the job but invited him to go out with him and his "buddies" (other bosses) for a drink... So guess when he was offered the job? On a work night, midnight, at a bar, socializing with the bosses. He knew that is what he had to do, so he did it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth