Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 06:49 AM

52 posts, read 179,810 times

Advertisements

Hi Wende! Weatherford is a wonderful town as I have said, but then, rural (or semi-rural) Texas has been my home most of my life. Now: if you're an ocean person, please do not consider Lake Weatherford even a partial substitute. Lake Weatherford supplies the town's water (the city water; the rest of us in the country have water wells). Because the lake is so far down due to drought the past summers, they are purchasing water from another reservoir. The lake needs to be dredged, it is filling with silt, you cannot see it from the farm road when you go over the lake bridge because the water is down so far the lake has receded beyond being able to be seen, for the most part. I don't think any of the boat docks are within 30 feet of water. Boats have been high and dry for a couple years. So no, Lake weatherford is not doing well. There are some nice boating lakes not too far (look into Eagle Mountain Lake or Possum Kingdom Lake). We are full to the brim with vets, some fantastic, some not so, as is every town. Many, many of the vets out here are fulltime equine vets due to the horse industry, and in fact we have some of the most state-of-the art veterinarian facilities in the U.S. - for horses. (I know, that isn't much help for your doxies!!) But running an animal rescue as I do, believe me, I could steer you in the right direction for a good canine vet. (off-list, not here in the forum). As for the employment situation, Weatherford is not doing as badly as many cities; in fact, depending on how far you are willing to commute, you do also have the Fort Worth job market to consider. Fort Worth would be only a 20 to 30 minute commute, then there is Arlington, a bit farther, and then for a horridly long commute, there is always Dallas. (and dallas traffic, quite frankly, sux). Here in Weatherford there are some job opportunities, but being a population of (I'm guessing here) 30,000 you can imagine the job market is substantially less than that of a metro city such as Fort Worth. Do some career searches, and see what you find!
The housing in Weatherford is normally quite less expensive than Fort Worth, so many people live here and work in Fort Worth. I'd love to hear what you find out and what your decision is; I am obviously a fan of my town, Weatherford, and while it is growing by leaps and bounds (the economy does not seem to have slowed down construction any) it still has a rural feel to it. And the courthouse square and all the little antique shoppes are so charming, Weatherford is always a weekend destination for the "city folks". Look up our peach festival as well, (an annual event)
Welcome to the Parker County Peach Festival! and how can you deny the rural aspect when one of the events is a domino tournament? HAA!! I wish you well in your decision!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 09:10 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,528,322 times
The only thing wrong with the Weatherford area is that it seems to be a tornado magnet, but that gets worse as you head north up into Wise County.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:29 AM

Agreed! Yes, we do have tornadoes, I cannot dispute that! I have lived in this area 35 years, and Weatherford has only had one measurable tornado (2 years ago) that I can recall; but of course there are many straight-line winds and even small "twisters" that did not register on the scale that have uprooted trees and such. And Fort Worth downtown had a bad tornado a few years back; but for the most part I do not live in constant fear of tornadoes; probably no more than Californians daily dread an earthquake, or coastal resident daily fear a hurricane; we all have our scary things happening. (smile). This is, though, indeed, "Tornado Alley" (which continues north up thru the midwest) so it is a real concern.

Okay, I have to tell you a story here: (everyone can roll their eyes now): I have a friend who lives near Los Angeles. She was considering re-locating, and I implored her to move to Texas so we could at least visit more often. She told me "No WAY! Texas has TORNADOES and I am TERRIFIED of Texas!!". Well, I informed her that HER area had earthquakes, and I am terrified of THOSE. so we argued back and forth over which was worse; and even got a Florida friend in on the argument who declared that earthquakes and tornadoes were unimaginably terrifying, nobody should live in either state, but that hurricanes were NOT (being that one has some warning of a hurricane, etc). I have to laugh heartily at that past conversation. It seems everyone has their own nightmare weather in their locale to contend with (snowstorms; flooding; mudslides, deadly heat, you name it, every place has SOMETHING) and we can all tolerate our own disasters, but have a great fear of the unknown.

TAJ

Old 06-29-2009, 11:04 AM

556 posts, read 1,563,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aunt Julie View Post

Okay, I have to tell you a story here: (everyone can roll their eyes now): I have a friend who lives near Los Angeles. She was considering re-locating, and I implored her to move to Texas so we could at least visit more often. She told me "No WAY! Texas has TORNADOES and I am TERRIFIED of Texas!!". Well, I informed her that HER area had earthquakes, and I am terrified of THOSE. so we argued back and forth over which was worse; and even got a Florida friend in on the argument who declared that earthquakes and tornadoes were unimaginably terrifying, nobody should live in either state, but that hurricanes were NOT (being that one has some warning of a hurricane, etc). I have to laugh heartily at that past conversation. It seems everyone has their own nightmare weather in their locale to contend with (snowstorms; flooding; mudslides, deadly heat, you name it, every place has SOMETHING) and we can all tolerate our own disasters, but have a great fear of the unknown.

TAJ
As a Parker County resident, and former resident of Alaska (in the ring of fire earthquake zone), I have to say: Every place has its faults.

Old 06-29-2009, 03:19 PM

HAHAHAAA!!!! Okay, that's true - at least you didn't "twist" my words !! LOL!

Old 06-29-2009, 04:07 PM

556 posts, read 1,563,372 times
No, I didn't!! And you've been a great whirlwind of info for the OP!!

Old 06-29-2009, 05:05 PM

LOL!! You deserve a ++ for that one. ;D

Old 06-30-2009, 04:44 AM

84 posts, read 236,222 times
I visited Weatherford for the first time in May as a first step to relocation. I was happy with what I found, housing, business climate, employment and the people I met were very helpful. There are housing areas with trees which is a plus. Concerning lakes, according to what I was told, the lakes are man-made and serve as water reservoirs, getting low in the summer. Eagle Mountain Lake, located by Azle, is where people go fishing and boating. I will be leaving the seaside and my beloved sailboat. I have done alot of sailing and am fine with a change, especially if it means getting into horseback riding, and maybe even owning my own horse, a childhood dream. Weatherford looks like good horse-country!

Old 06-30-2009, 06:51 AM

If you're interested in horses, then Weatherford is the place for you! Known as the cutting horse capital of the world, this area attracts trainers, equine vets, equine professionals, and many larger horse ranches have re-located from California and other parts of the US to be here in Parker County. We are close to all the major cutting horse competitions (held in Fort Worth) and our soil for the most part is very conducive to working horses as well as growing the bermuda grass necessary for good horse hay. Here is a short blurb I found on another website about Weatherford being horse country: Weatherford TX | Cutting Horse Capital of the World - Presented by Village Profile
I used to train and show horses professionally, was a world champion barrel racer (many years ago!!!) and believe me, there is no lack of horse events or things to do when it comes to riding horses!
TAJ

Old 06-30-2009, 04:15 PM

84 posts, read 236,222 times
Very inspiring post, TAJ! I'm already "chomping at the bit" to get moved. Just need one buyer for my house. LOL.

Please excuse the ignorance of this city gal, but I've noticed some houses outside of town are on wells. Is it complicated to maintain a well?
In the same context, what kind of internet access is available if you're not right in town?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth