Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 03:37 PM

2 posts, read 18,102 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am moving to Weatherford, TX in a few months most likely, and I'm coming from the East Coast. I have only been to Texas a few times, and I've never been in Weatherford before. It may be a short term move, or not - especially if I like the area....BUt, being used to green hills and historical cities with shopping options, and schools, etc, how is Weatherford? Is it really flat and dry like I've seen in other small TX towns? Are there outdoor activities? hiking. biking, trails, river walks, etc? Some general info about the town and area would be greatly appreciated!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 06:41 PM

52 posts, read 179,702 times
AnnaBelle, I've lived in Weatherford 20 years, and my great-grandparents moved here in 1935. So I come from quite a Weatherford background. (smile). Okay, as far as the green hills, fuhgeddabouddit. In the spring it is usually very nice, and green, although we have been in a 2 year drought so things are not quite as lovely as normal (but not desert-y by any means!). We have large 200 year old oak trees, for instance, and some beautiful country, for Texas. I consider this to be one of the prettiest areas of Texas, but then I'm a Texan at heart. Weatherford is absolutely a wonderful little town with antique stores, it is a weekend destination for antiquing folks, we have a monthly flea market, a historic courthouse square, and great chamber of commerce full of good info for you. We have a lot of fun festivals (like the Parker County Peach Festival in July) and are the Cutting Horse Capital of the World - which simply means we have an endless supply of beautiful horse and cattle ranches, and lots of (wealthy) cowboys, horse trainers, and western type people. In other words, this is not what some people would think of as a "hick red-neck town" (please forgive me, everyone, I am NOT trying to be politically incorrect!!) I just want to assure you that Weatherford, while still maintaining a small town flavor, is an up-and-coming town. Very very close to Forth Worth and Dallas, if you long for the metro areas; Fort Worth is more the laid-back cowtown style metro area, while Dallas is far more contemporary.
Depending upon what you like, there is something for everyone, at least if not in Weatherford then only a short drive down the Interstate. However, I find Weatherford, growing as it is, has everything I need so I rarely drive to Fort Worth any more. I do hope you find that you like Weatherford - you did not mention where you are moving from, so I can't say how comparable it will be. If you have any more specific questions, please post them and l'll be glad to respond. if you want to look up my website (and see some of the Weatherford country) I have a dog rescue organization at www.grrrvillage.org Please let me know if I can give you any further info about Weatherford! - -

Old 04-12-2009, 12:19 AM

3 posts, read 12,708 times
Julie, I'm not Annabelle, but went to your dog rescue site. God bless you! Hopefully, someday, I will be able to be of some help to you and your canines in need. It's just not in the cards right now.
Annabelle, I've lived in Weatherford just a couple of years, however you won't be sorry if you move here. Things are not flat, drab etc. Things bloom early and continue to bloom and grow almost year round. You have little time in between winter drab and sping beauty here. The heat of summer can be bad, but the trees don't seem to mind and native plants do well. I'm not a native of Texas. I've only been here 7 yrs. However, I wouldn't trade this state for any other. I was also worried about it being flat, brown, and sandy and that I would miss the trees and green hills. Well geeze, it's all right here, only more months out of the year! Someone should have told me that 30 yrs ago when I was first given the option to leave OH and come to Texas.
Shopping? Well, personally, I can't think of a thing I want that I can't buy in Weatherford or within 30 mi.
Anyway, welcome to Texas when you take the leap from the east coast.

Old 04-12-2009, 04:00 AM

Thank you for visiting my dog rescue site; you're very kind! And wonderful to 'meet' a fellow Weatherford resident! I agree that Weatherford is just right - small town flavor but with everything one needs; I cannot imagine ever leaving.

Annabelle, I think you'll love Weatherford once you get here!

Julie

Old 04-12-2009, 04:58 PM

84 posts, read 236,072 times
I am an Expat planning on moving back home to the States. I am originally from the Seattle area but and after alot of searching, I decided to relocate to Texas. I am looking at the area west of Fort Worth, especially Azle, and after reading your comments, I think I'd better check out Weatherford too.
I'll be making a scouting visit soon, so any pointers would be appreciated!

Old 04-12-2009, 05:58 PM

Default Weatherford first!

Hi, and welcome home when you get here! Please do check out Weatherford first; Weatherford would be the next best city west of Fort Worth; and as I've said before, small town feel but all the conveniences of a bigger city. (We've finally gotten a good selection of restaurants, some good shopping centers, etc., all located along Interstate 20, so they don't take away from the 'small town - antique shops - old-time cafes - ' of your small Texas towns. I have to admit I do not know a lot about Azle; it seems more hurried to me, being on the major 199 Jacksboro highway (which I avoid at all costs).

Okay, sorry, not to take anything away from Azle, but check out Weatherford first, then take your compass and slowly circle outward with Weatherford as the center. I believe you'll like Weatherford best. Still lots of land, homes are not as pricey as Fort Worth, you can get homes in a development or on an acre or hundreds and hundreds of acres - whatever you're looking for.

Any specific questions I will try to answer.

Julie

Old 04-12-2009, 09:39 PM

2 posts, read 18,102 times
Aunt Julie, Thanks for the info!!I will definitely check out your site. Also Takingbackamerica - I do appreciate the encouragement! I am from Pennsylvania/Virginia/Ohio/West Virginia/Maryland region! (smile) Although, I have lived in California the last few years. I really do appreciate the input - I love the outdoors and enjoy photography, and such, so I am happy to hear that Weatherford is a smaller but quaint town with historical qualities. I've had my share of living in "hick-ville" so no worries about that, haha! But I do enjoy gardening and stuff, so maybe I'll give it a try when I get there. The "move" looks like it's official and I'm actually really looking forward to exploring a new region of our United States. So far I have found something to love in each state I have lived in. If I come up with more questions I will def put them up here...

How warm does it get in the summers? Humidity or dry heat? I'm wondering what is best to bring...snow in winter?

And I need to look up your Chamber of Commerce, as you mentioned...

Anna

Old 04-13-2009, 07:23 AM

AnnaBelle
Here are some good 'official' websites to get you started:

Weatherford, TX - Official Website
Weatherford Chamber of Commerce
Weatherford, Texas....Visit Weatherford, Hotels, Attractions, Restaurants, Maps and More!

Weatherford summers are decidedly hot, with temps getting up into the low hundreds being not uncommon. However it is usually a low humidity (especially given the drought we've been in) and I would think nothing like the high humidity you've experienced in the east (my guess). The winters are fairly mild, we have several below freezing days but it usually warms up during the day to above freezing; we do have the very rare day or so that it will be in the teens overnight, and perhaps for one day. The best part about our weather, as they say in Texas is - "Don't like the weather? Wait a minute". We will have usually a couple very light snowfalls (an inch, maybe two inches rarely) which is usually gone the next day. We do have a couple ice storms that will close the schools and some highways; they rarely last 24 hours but sometimes might last a couple days on occasion. Of course, if you're from Pennsylvania/Virginia are you would throw your head back and laugh in derision at what we call an "ice storm" - the slightest slick covering of ice on the roadway and we shut down.

In my opinion the summers are harder for people to get used to than the winters; the winters are considered very mild compared to most US cities - but yes our summers are HOT. But the thing is, there isn't a building anywhere that isn't air-conditioned, just for that reason! So it isn't like you can't get out and do things - hmm. I wouldn't recommend a black car with black leather upholstery however. LOL.

Any more questions? Glad to answer them! I KNOW you'll love Weatherford!
Julie

Old 04-14-2009, 12:11 PM

84 posts, read 236,072 times
Wow,
Great information, Julie, especially about the weather. I'll be coming from place that's considered humid and we have 100º days in July and August for sure, so I should be fine with that.

I'm checking out those websites, lots of information there...especially since I'm hotel hunting for my up-coming scouting trip.

Old 06-29-2009, 06:20 AM

48 posts, read 134,388 times
Hello there. I am also considering moving to Weatherford. It all sounds pretty good, tho a bit far from the Ocean (my friend for many years!) You have a pretty good sized lake there I see. It would have to do, hehehe. My biggest concern is work, at least part-time. Acctg or Property Mgmt preferably. What opportunties are there? It's also nice to know that there are good vets there, too, as I come with two Dashunds.wende
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth