Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 07:23 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,273,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I don't understand why you keep beating this dead horse--
the TX legislature and the local tax base will never be in position financially or philosophically to have a pay scale like you envision...this is arguing about how many angels fit on the head of a pin...
did having astronomical salaries bring us better financial gurus on Wall Street or in the halls of Enron or the valley of silicon--don't think so--higher salaries do not axiomatically guarantee better quality or better caring ...whatever...check out the roster of the Dallas Cowboys or the Texas Rangers...
Very well said!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 02:51 PM

669 posts, read 1,612,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXGator View Post
What's your point? I just don't get it. You are no more a teacher. How long you have been a teacher? 10 years? After how long did you realize you made a mistake? Why did you wait so long? You have family members as teachers. They know the reality. As we usually say to our graduate students, if you feel you do not belong here, run!
How long.... only 2 years.... only bc the job market was VERY slow coming out of school and there's always a need for math/science instructors.

Not a mistake necessarily, but got a job in City Government. A little better pay and better benefits.

Old 04-01-2009, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I don't understand why you keep beating this dead horse--
the TX legislature and the local tax base will never be in position financially or philosophically to have a pay scale like you envision...this is arguing about how many angels fit on the head of a pin...
did having astronomical salaries bring us better financial gurus on Wall Street or in the halls of Enron or the valley of silicon--don't think so--higher salaries do not axiomatically guarantee better quality or better caring ...whatever...check out the roster of the Dallas Cowboys or the Texas Rangers...
Pay scale I envision.... where TX is still back in the "older times" w/ the teacher salaries.....

Well here's what I propose... for one... you can't pay someone only $1,000 for a MS degree. Mathematically you'd be dumb to get one. It will take 12-18 years to get your $$$ back on it.

Many other states use a sliding scale... where you cap out w/ a BS fairly soon.

Teacher's who work 20 years deserve a better raise than $500 a month... seriously.. what other field r u going to work 20 years just to cover that.... just by inflation and cost of your medical care will wipe that out alone.

However, I do like when test scores do provide some sort of incentives.

Old 04-01-2009, 04:22 PM

27 posts, read 97,555 times
So, two years later, are we here expecting someone to have a post titled as: Any City Government employee? Can you live on such a low salary!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWong View Post
How long.... only 2 years.... only bc the job market was VERY slow coming out of school and there's always a need for math/science instructors.

Not a mistake necessarily, but got a job in City Government. A little better pay and better benefits.

Old 04-01-2009, 05:30 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,835,591 times
I dont understand the argument here. The man said that teachers in Texas public schools get paid crappy salaries compared to other states. Texas had a 10.7 billion Dollar surplus. Why couldn't the state put more money in our public school system.

What recession? Texas looking at $10.7 billion surplus | Business | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

Old 04-02-2009, 06:14 AM

54 posts, read 204,623 times
I think the argument here is-- duh. No one ever thought that teachers were overpaid! But some people do it for different reasons.

I agree about the MS thing. I thought that I would get mine because I am all about "knowledge is power." But I really hate my current job and want to be a teacher ASAP, and for only a thousand mroe per year, a master's is not worth it for me anymore.

Old 04-02-2009, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXGator View Post
So, two years later, are we here expecting someone to have a post titled as: Any City Government employee? Can you live on such a low salary!
Actually we are overpaid!

Old 04-02-2009, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberMarie View Post
I think the argument here is-- duh. No one ever thought that teachers were overpaid! But some people do it for different reasons.

I agree about the MS thing. I thought that I would get mine because I am all about "knowledge is power." But I really hate my current job and want to be a teacher ASAP, and for only a thousand mroe per year, a master's is not worth it for me anymore.
In some places teachers ARE overpaid. In some areas of CA where cost of living is comparable to DFW.. the top pay step is $97 thousand.

This is 3 hrs from LA 2, hours from San Diego and a home costs $200k. NOt the boonies, but not a metro.

Old 04-02-2009, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberMarie View Post

My wife later found out (who earned her MS @ UT) that getting a masters in TX was about the worst thing. The cost was $12,000, not to mention time put in. The Student loan is $130 a month.... for $1000 a year from the ISD, or $75 take home.... So you're not even profitable for 25 years.... or more????

Old 04-02-2009, 12:01 PM

54 posts, read 204,623 times
And this is why I will have summer jobs before I have kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth