Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 12:30 PM

350 posts, read 1,288,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWong View Post
In some places teachers ARE overpaid. In some areas of CA where cost of living is comparable to DFW.. the top pay step is $97 thousand.

This is 3 hrs from LA 2, hours from San Diego and a home costs $200k. NOt the boonies, but not a metro.
I bet you could buy the same house 2-3 hours from DFW for $60k. That's the difference.

I wouldn't want to live 2-3 hours out from either metro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 02:06 PM

27 posts, read 97,565 times
Two years later, you won't say that again.
Some people never change.

Quote:
Actually we are overpaid!

Old 04-03-2009, 12:41 AM

669 posts, read 1,612,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aporkalypse View Post
I bet you could buy the same house 2-3 hours from DFW for $60k. That's the difference.

I wouldn't want to live 2-3 hours out from either metro.
These cities throughout inland CA are about 100k-150k people, kinda in the middle of nowhere. They have all the major stores and the necessities, however no major universities or some cultural art events that you'd normally find in metro areas. The weather you would find is similar to TX metros maybe w/out the humidity. One advantage is that vacation destinations are a few hours drive.... bad part is... gotta drive 2 hours to a major airport or attend a major Univ.

Old 04-03-2009, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXGator View Post
Two years later, you won't say that again.
Some people never change.
I'm confused.... but yes many city workers are overpaid

Old 04-03-2009, 04:54 AM

50 posts, read 135,488 times
So move to California...

I am a fan of Texas ....

Money or not....

Old 04-03-2009, 06:33 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,839,259 times
There are some districts that help with master's plan--Plano is one that I can think of--but most have cut back on that...but the state's push to "highly qualified" teachers means that more people will need to get master's to get that ranking I think...

Old 04-03-2009, 10:28 AM

54 posts, read 204,630 times
Maybe I will hope to get a job at ANY isd, and if I don't love it, I will get my master's while I'm working there and try to go to another ISD...

in kentucky, you have to have a master's to teach.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
There are some districts that help with master's plan--Plano is one that I can think of--but most have cut back on that...but the state's push to "highly qualified" teachers means that more people will need to get master's to get that ranking I think...
Look at this:

Salary Schedules : Plano ISD

plano is paying pennies to it's teacher's compared to most DFW areas. IN such a nice city, that's DAMN low.

Here's what a pay scale should look like:
(oh and by the way - the median cost of a house here is $220k)
(anyone agree?)
http://employment.cuhsd.net/ECSTA%20...0June%2008.pdf and go to page 43

My wife moved to CA for one of these reasons. Teachers just like in private industry if you can make more $$ somewhere else and have a better living, why not? TX will lose good teacher's to other state if they don't keep up. One draw to DFW is salaries are high - just not for teachers.

Old 04-03-2009, 11:15 AM

27 posts, read 97,565 times
Compared to union workers at GM or people on Wall Street, that salary on page 43 is still way way too low.
What? Wife moved to CA for better salary and you stayed here for a overpaid city job, and you call that a better life?

Quote:
Look at this:

Salary Schedules : Plano ISD

plano is paying pennies to it's teacher's compared to most DFW areas. IN such a nice city, that's DAMN low.

Here's what a pay scale should look like:
(oh and by the way - the median cost of a house here is $220k)
(anyone agree?)
http://employment.cuhsd.net/ECSTA%20...0June%2008.pdf and go to page 43

My wife moved to CA for one of these reasons. Teachers just like in private industry if you can make more $$ somewhere else and have a better living, why not? TX will lose good teacher's to other state if they don't keep up. One draw to DFW is salaries are high - just not for teachers.

Old 04-03-2009, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXGator View Post
Compared to union workers at GM or people on Wall Street, that salary on page 43 is still way way too low.
What? Wife moved to CA for better salary and you stayed here for a overpaid city job, and you call that a better life?
Oh.. no I'm in southern CA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth