Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 06:03 AM

50 posts, read 135,499 times

Advertisements

Someone offers me $46,000 a year I'm likely gonna take it. That's a lot of money to me. Teachers here in public schools only make around $32,000 or so I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 06:41 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
my point was that FTW pays above state minimum--there are plenty of smaller districts in the state that pay ONLY state minimum...
this is not New York or California where the teachers are unionized--THAT is the only way to get high levels of pay--and it is too late to do it here and it goes against the culture of the state...TX is a right to work state--meaning that employers basically have the right to fire any employee at any time for any reason...
there are few professions that have unions--police and fire depts are two of them--and their pay is not all that great either...

Old 03-30-2009, 11:35 AM

669 posts, read 1,612,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N2reining View Post
Someone offers me $46,000 a year I'm likely gonna take it. That's a lot of money to me. Teachers here in public schools only make around $32,000 or so I think.
Where is here?

Old 03-30-2009, 02:15 PM

350 posts, read 1,288,387 times
Ft Worth is also one of the cheapest urban areas in America to live. Prices are amazingly low. That's high pay in terms of standard of living.

Old 03-30-2009, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aporkalypse View Post
Ft Worth is also one of the cheapest urban areas in America to live. Prices are amazingly low. That's high pay in terms of standard of living.
A 4bed 2.5 bath house will still run you $1500 a month w/ taxes and insurance... Considering what they are making it's not cheap, but not the $4500 people may in most metros.

I would also argue how urban is a city with 1800 people a sq mile. Urban areas are usually 5000+... some in the US, 10-15.

Old 03-30-2009, 02:47 PM

4 posts, read 11,761 times
You're throwing out comparisons to other states and Fort Worth. Have you checked out the cost of living? Other states that pay high usually take it right back in property taxes and amenities. How much is a Happy Meal in these other states, how much do you pay for a gallon of 87 octane fuel? What are the working conditions like in these other states? What is there retirement system - SS? How much is insurance, average hospital bills, average new car pricing, entertainment (cable/internet), education costs? What's the tax structure like supporting these other states educational systems? Working half a year and getting guaranteed holiday's off making $46-56k, sign me up. Perhaps you need to look at more than just salary to determine whether it is comparable. If you find something cheaper and of higher quality, of course - do that. Fort Worth is more of a home grown town anyhow.

Old 03-30-2009, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciesta View Post
You're throwing out comparisons to other states and Fort Worth. Have you checked out the cost of living? Other states that pay high usually take it right back in property taxes and amenities. How much is a Happy Meal in these other states, how much do you pay for a gallon of 87 octane fuel? What are the working conditions like in these other states? What is there retirement system - SS? How much is insurance, average hospital bills, average new car pricing, entertainment (cable/internet), education costs? What's the tax structure like supporting these other states educational systems? Working half a year and getting guaranteed holiday's off making $46-56k, sign me up. Perhaps you need to look at more than just salary to determine whether it is comparable. If you find something cheaper and of higher quality, of course - do that. Fort Worth is more of a home grown town anyhow.
I just did some quick math for ya leaving not much $$$ for a family. Can A happy mean in other states... in the 5th most pricy metro we're at $3.50

And dear cost of living is pretty much based on cost of your home. Gas is only 25-35 cents more in places where people DON"T depend on cars by the way. Insurance in TX is pretty high if you ask me, entertainment - no clue, but I imagine it's the same.
Just about all teachers in all states have pensions now.. anyone know of others that dont'?

I'm looking for anyone working for FWISD if they think working 20 years for $500 annual raises is fair. Starting salary is fine.. but ask someone in their mid 40's if they can get by w/ a family making that much.....

Old 03-30-2009, 06:50 PM

54 posts, read 204,651 times
No, it's not fair. But no one ever thought that teachers were paid enough. I've never known a rich teacher that didn't have a rich husband. This is no shock to me. But, the word "rich" could mean many things that has nothing to do with money.

P.S, I'm about to graduate and I will be a teacher. I am not doing it for the money. Admittedly, I probably wouldn't do it for much less. Aside from the fact that I'm passionate about teaching, I am also doing it for the ideal schedule and how important it will be for me to be able to spend time with my kids during holidays.

Old 03-30-2009, 07:53 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,275,575 times
AmberMarie said it in a nutshell. She has a passion, a passion for helping students, and yes, she will be very rich, rich in something that matters as in knowing she is instilling values, responsibilities, accountability, truth, knowledge, and hardwork in her classroom.

Students can make one's life richer than all the money you apparently have or wish you had, DWong. Just think, she'll even get two months or better off in the summer, two weeks at Christmas, a week for Spring Break, sometimes a week at Thanksgiving, and quite a few holidays to boot. She wants to spend time with her own children, imagine that ...... quite admirable I would say.

If someone can't raise a family on the amount you quoted above, he or she doesn't know how to manage money. I wish you all the best in the world, Amber-Marie, as you embark on one of the most rewarding professions life has to offer. May you always be an inspiration to your students and may the memories you make with them never be forgotten. You will never regret it.

"It's easy to make a buck. It's a lot tougher to make a difference." ~Tom Brokaw

Last edited by Canine*Castle; 03-30-2009 at 08:12 PM..

Old 03-30-2009, 10:45 PM

27 posts, read 97,574 times
Well said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberMarie View Post
No, it's not fair. But no one ever thought that teachers were paid enough. I've never known a rich teacher that didn't have a rich husband. This is no shock to me. But, the word "rich" could mean many things that has nothing to do with money.

P.S, I'm about to graduate and I will be a teacher. I am not doing it for the money. Admittedly, I probably wouldn't do it for much less. Aside from the fact that I'm passionate about teaching, I am also doing it for the ideal schedule and how important it will be for me to be able to spend time with my kids during holidays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth