Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 05:55 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times

Advertisements

don't start with "bama bashing--not what this thread is about...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 07:52 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,909,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbyesmommie08 View Post
I tried to get my 4 yr old into the Pre-K program with in the FWISD school district, this is a joke, you have to make a certain amount per year for your child to qualify, we made too much my 500.00, so now my 4 yr old is screwed out of being able to go to pre-k. I used to live in Iowa where there were no income guidelines for this. It pisses me off to no end that people that make less than other people can give their kids the chance for that early education. Now I understand this program was to help parents with low income, that is understandable, but I am in no way rich...This situation just makes me think less of the FWISD. Can someone that works there or has second hand knowlage of this please explain why.

If anyone knows of other prek programs that don't cost a fortune that I could get my kiddo into it would be great...He needs exposure to other kids his age he would do soo well.

The picture attached is my 4 yr old Skyler in the stripped shirt his brother Corbin is sitting next to him!
You have some fine looking kids Corbyesmommie08. I wish you the best of luck.

Old 04-11-2009, 09:58 PM

33 posts, read 81,576 times
HAHA! That is a good one TangoUniform!

Old 04-12-2009, 07:25 AM

28 posts, read 94,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post
I'm confused. Your first post says Pre-K, which is geared for kids at risk in most schools in Texas and not a universal Pre-k. The other options for 4 yr olds who are not at risk are varied, including but not limited to, being homeschooled with parents, going to private preschool(Sept-May) or within a child care center setting.

However, your most recent post says Kindergarten, which is offered to all kids, yet still not required in Texas.

If your child won't be Kindergarten age for the fall and isn't an at risk child, then there really isn't a great need for him to attend a public Pre-K. Unless English is not his first language or your family can't provide anything other than basics due to financial constraints, then Pre-K won't be a good fit for him. It truly is for the economically disadvantaged (no books in the home, no transportation to go to the park, nothing to create with etc) or those who don't speak English. It's a leg up for those who truly need it.

Oh, and anyone can vote for the School Boards...you don't have to have kids in school to do so. Just an FYI for the future.

I'm saddened by the view the FWISD has on pre-k as they only view it as needed for kids that are "at risk" wow makes me want to move back home to the midwest were ANY kid can attend pre-k, oh well , i guess I'll be lookin in other school districts then...

Old 04-12-2009, 09:10 AM

if you LIVE in FTW ISD that is where your children will be going to school--unless you can apply and be accepted and pay for an out-of-district transfer...

this policy of FTW ISD about pre-K programs is not based on their philosophy of who benefits the most or what a good district should offer to students/parents or anything but MONEY--the district cannot AFFORD to staff/pay for pre-K programs for any students except those who really come into K behind other students--which means they need MORE teaching/remediation and thus are a negative cost factor to the district---it is cheaper to get to them earlier than later basically...many of these students are low income and the district can apply/receive federal grant money to help off-set the cost--there is no federal program for those who are above certain income guidelines that are set by the FEDERAL govt (read past history of Republican admins who have cut funding for these programs)...
the district does not see this pre-K availability as free day care for parents or as a public service to people who live in the district or as living up to the ideals of great educators like Maria Montessori...it is all about the $$$ at this point in time

Old 04-12-2009, 10:46 AM

3,086 posts, read 7,611,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbyesmommie08 View Post
I'm saddened by the view the FWISD has on pre-k as they only view it as needed for kids that are "at risk" wow makes me want to move back home to the midwest were ANY kid can attend pre-k, oh well , i guess I'll be lookin in other school districts then...
Well, as I said, it's the same in pretty much most of the districts, so I don't think you'll find anything different elsewhere, but good luck.

Old 04-12-2009, 08:18 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,082,647 times
I believe FWISD views it that way because pre-K really isn't necessary. Honestly, what do you have to know before entering kindergarten? Your ABC's, numbers, shapes, and colors. That is very simple for parents to teach kids. In most districts around the country any pre-K offered is for low-income kids. I have never come across a district that has it for everyone. Also, remember that many parts of the midwest are known for their property taxes, which pay for the schools. People think Texas is bad, but many midwest states are worse.

Old 04-12-2009, 09:39 PM

actually most kids in today's world need pre-K to make up for the exposure to language and other general knowledge/skills that they don't get from their home environment...many of them that do go to a day care are often moved around and get a wide variety of "instruction" and their home situations often are not the most stable--even in avg income homes there can be lack of time to actually sit down and work with children...
so I think many kids (lower income or not) would benefit from a consistent, nurturing type of program...but you are right--it is not just FTW ISD that does not see pre-K as mandatory for every child ...the state of TX does not either...
found this article which is several years old which says that there are only three states including mandatory, public pre-k---iowa was one of them, delaware another and Oklahoma the third...
so I don't know that the entire MidWest is full of states offering free pre-k...

Old 04-13-2009, 12:26 AM

4,280 posts, read 6,082,647 times
I have met hardly any kids who need pre-K. Maybe it's just because around here the schools are so horrible, a pre-K wouldn't do anything anyway. That could be it. I for one don't know how a kid isn't prepared for Kindergarten just by living with parents unless the parents are extremely neglectful.

Old 04-13-2009, 11:26 AM

please--don't start bashing schools around here generally and/or without some personal insight...there are very good schools in this area--and some that are not so good--and some that probably need to be closed--but you can put all of them under the same umbrella catagory
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
View detailed profiles of: