Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 11:09 AM

104 posts, read 832,898 times

Advertisements

Can someone tell me how far it is to shopping? A mall, Walmart, etc? Also, how long does it take to commute to FTW in morning and evenings? Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2007, 11:31 AM

4,610 posts, read 11,102,010 times
Hi,

I live in Granbury. Moved here 2.5 years ago to retire on the lake.

Malls are in Fort Worth and about 20 to 30 minutes away. (the time would depend on where in Granbury you live and which mall (2 of them) in Fort Worth you want to go to.

We have a Walmart in Granbury.

Commuting to Fort Worth would again take you anywhere from 20 to 30 minutes. The 377 does get congested and will be expanding from 4 lanes to 6 in Granbury soon (I think in 2008).

Old 04-03-2007, 05:59 PM

Thanks for the reply. I was looking at houses on the lake. I would so love to live on a lake! I really like to fish and swim. Is that lake good for swimming? I'm not sure yet, if we are moving to TX. Just looking in case.

Old 04-04-2007, 09:52 AM

Yes,
Some people swim in the lake. We have a pool so we just swim in that but I see people/mainly kids swimming in the lake all the time in the summer.

You can boat on the lake, ski, wake board, kayak, ride jet skies, fish or just cruise around the lake on your boat and relax.

Old 04-04-2007, 04:05 PM

28 posts, read 133,253 times
Default a short note on Granbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraciK View Post
Thanks for the reply. I was looking at houses on the lake. I would so love to live on a lake! I really like to fish and swim. Is that lake good for swimming? I'm not sure yet, if we are moving to TX. Just looking in case.
My aunt-in-law lives in Granbury, and loves it. We joined her for house hunting about three years ago. She originally wanted to live close to the lake, but the houses she looked at on the western side of the lake were all close to, or in rough neighborhoods. Lots of mobile homes in terrible states of disrepair, junky cars lining the streets. The few homes we previewed on the eastern side of the lake were a lot better, but very pricey ($300k-$500k). She settled for a place off the lake, south of town. The best part of Granbury is the old time square, but beware the weekend traffic. It reminds me of the mousetrap in Denver during rush hour....all the Dallas-Fort Worth tourists.

Good luck on the move!

Last edited by BoulderJD; 04-04-2007 at 04:08 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 04-04-2007, 05:08 PM

LOL BoulderJD,
That is true regarding where to buy in Granbury. I think I know the area BoulderJD is talking about (Off Hwy 144?/Morgan St.) (bad Meth problem in that area also). But there are pockets in other areas also that have mobile homes and stuff like that. So be careful when selecting your area.
It varies but the newest (most expensive) are the homes closes to Fort Worth on the lake. You would be able to get into one probably anywhere from $500,000 to well over $1,000,000. You might find one in the $400,000 range but that is pushing it if you want a nice home in a nice location. Prices from 3 years ago on the lake have gone up so much (last year and the year before) over 24% each year. Our home in 2.5 years has doubled. Granbury is growing so much that they have a Home Depot and a Lowe's for just a small little town. That should tell you about what is going on here.
The problem is people think it is cheap in Texas so they come to Lake Granbury and think they are going to get a nice house on the lake in a nice area for $200,000 - $300,000. When they get here they are very disappointed. In our subdivision you can't even touch the lake for less then about $650,000 and well over $1,000,000 (and pushing $2,000,000). So that is just something you need to understand about Granbury.

Last edited by Roma; 04-04-2007 at 06:28 PM.. Reason: change something.

Old 04-05-2007, 08:21 AM

Holy Moly! We can't afford that! I found a couple of houses for $200,000-$225,000 range. I guess they are in the bad area. Hopefully I am going to make a trip to LA this summer and plan on driving over to check things out. I also noticed most homes we liked in Granbury (not on the lake) were in gated communities. Which, I like except for the fact that by the time you pay your house note, and taxes there's no more money for the gated community fee. Thanks again for your help.

Old 04-05-2007, 10:03 AM

The prices I quoted you are for "Lake Front" in "Prime Locations". Now if you don't want lake front you can get in cheaper but not cheap (does that make sense).

Come visit like you said and do some of the touristy stuff and have fun.

1) Take a ride on the Riverboat.
2) Rent jet skis for the day and play around on the lake.
3) Shop, eat and see a live show at the "Historical Square".
4) Have a realtor drive you around and look at homes in your price range.

Old 04-06-2007, 07:47 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
have read several articles in FT W paper that water quality in Lake Granbury is going down because of mobile home communities and older homes built close to lake which have problems w/septic systems--they are draining into lake's water shed and the pollution levels in CERTAIN areas of Lake are higher than they should be....
that would be concern for me if I were buying lot/house on water or planning on doing any skiing, swimming, fishing in area...
NOT SAYING entire lake is bad--but that if they don't set better guide lines and take steps to remedy the situation that beautiful lake will become not so beautiful...

Old 04-06-2007, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma View Post
The prices I quoted you are for "Lake Front" in "Prime Locations". Now if you don't want lake front you can get in cheaper but not cheap (does that make sense).

Come visit like you said and do some of the touristy stuff and have fun.

1) Take a ride on the Riverboat.
2) Rent jet skis for the day and play around on the lake.
3) Shop, eat and see a live show at the "Historical Square".
4) Have a realtor drive you around and look at homes in your price range.
Yes, I understand what you are saying. Thanks for your help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth