Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2009, 08:27 AM

3 posts, read 7,020 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
Can any one help us out....We are moving toward Texas from washington state...(need warm weather). But, I am not sure which area would be the best . My husband is retired but I still need to work. (accountant). We like country settings and horses. My husband is a old cowboy, and I love to ride. But, we also like country music and to go country dancing, that's a must. So I know Fort Worth is good for that, but, I kinda like the green of the Tyler area. Also would like to have 10 or so acres and try to pay off a house in 10 years. So, price is a issue. How is the Pittsburg area??? I have seen many places in east Texas at a very good price. But, kinda concerned about that area. Never been to east Texas...been to Dallas and Plano.(got grandkids there). But, way to crowded for me in that area. We just want to find a nice area to retire. I don;t mind driving a ways if need to go to the mall or shopping.
Thanks for infor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 10:27 PM

133 posts, read 555,789 times
I don't know East Texas too well but I lived in Fort Worth for many years. You might find some affordable homes and land in some of the counties west of Tarrant county and Fort Worth. Parker, Hood, Erath, Palo Pinto counties - in or near towns like Weatherford, Granbury, Stephenville, Brock, et al... My dad lives on 14 acres in Hood county and it's my favorite place on Earth. I'd love it even more if they got more rain out that way.

Last edited by pt1171; 05-13-2009 at 10:49 PM..

Old 05-14-2009, 02:07 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,981,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citygirl50 View Post
Hi All,
Can any one help us out....We are moving toward Texas from washington state...(need warm weather). But, I am not sure which area would be the best . My husband is retired but I still need to work. (accountant). We like country settings and horses. My husband is a old cowboy, and I love to ride. But, we also like country music and to go country dancing, that's a must. So I know Fort Worth is good for that, but, I kinda like the green of the Tyler area. Also would like to have 10 or so acres and try to pay off a house in 10 years. So, price is a issue. How is the Pittsburg area??? I have seen many places in east Texas at a very good price. But, kinda concerned about that area. Never been to east Texas...been to Dallas and Plano.(got grandkids there). But, way to crowded for me in that area. We just want to find a nice area to retire. I don;t mind driving a ways if need to go to the mall or shopping.
Thanks for infor.
Bullard, Flint/Gresham, Noonday, Whitehouse, Chapel Hill are all small towns around Tyler that are exploding & growing like crazy.

Old 05-14-2009, 07:08 AM

82 posts, read 221,791 times
There is beautiful land around Bullard, Flint, Gresham, Noonday etc.. many horses and cattle, rolling hills. And what is great about the area is that it only takes about 10-15 minutes to get to Tyler. I live in Tyler and people complain about the traffic, but I can still get anywhere in Tyler in 20 minutes, even at high traffic times. I'm from 'big city' and this is a cake walk. Tyler is very conservative with churches on every corner. If you're looking for that, this is a wonderful area.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:40 AM

3,028 posts, read 5,081,697 times
Lot's of cowboys and cowgirls, mainly around Tyler. Also Tyler is the the Medical Center of East Texas with the only Level I Truama Center, so healthcare is right up there with Fort Worth, retires love it here. And Plano as you can see is just an short interstate trip from Tyler. Oh, if you want to have some "Big City" entertainment the University of Texas Cowen Performing Arts Center has season packages with many groups performing here that also perform in Dallas and much larger cities. Special events also during the year. When built 10 years ago cost 22 Million. And the East Texas Symphony is very good, I have comparison, The Houston Symphony, no not quite is the performance, but surprisingly top notch. Also, your right, Azaleas, Wisheria, Roses, Dogwoods flowers and much greenery in the area. Only one of 4 or 5 official Azalea cities in the country. The first designated retirement city in Texas. Give it a look, but of course it's hotter than heck in July and August, but nothing worse than your Plano experience. Good Luck

Old 05-17-2009, 05:20 PM

37 posts, read 91,850 times
Hi, there. What is your price point? If you like country music and dancing, then I would highly recommend that you move close to Fort Worth! Since you are wanting a home with acreage, Weatherford, Aledo, Azle, Springtown, etc. would put you within a reasonable driving distance to downtown and the stockyards. Please email me for information on homes available for sale. My information is in my profile. Thanks, and good luck!

Old 05-19-2009, 09:43 AM

536 posts, read 1,538,167 times
Want greenery and cheap land prices? Go with Tyler.

Old 05-21-2009, 05:32 PM

3 posts, read 7,020 times
Default Fort Worth or Tyler

Thanks for all the infor...I think we have decided to just come that way and see what we like, on all that I have found out about the area...both really is great, so House is sold in Seattle and we are heading to Texas!!! where we end up will be a toss up .....yipeee!!!

Old 05-22-2009, 01:17 PM

58 posts, read 207,219 times
If you don't like Dallas and Plano because of crowds and traffic, you won't like Fort Worth either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth