Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 06:08 PM

75 posts, read 288,054 times

Advertisements

My child currently attends Central HS, but I have been highly disappointed in this school. My older two attended and graduated and it was okay, but my youngest will be a sophomore this next year. Due to a few different problems (ie teachers not responding to emails, same with guidance counselor, no phone calls returned by the same all year long) and a couple other issues, I requested a transfer to the new HS. Long story short, I called about the Pay-for-Ride service with the school as I knew we were in Central's resident boundary. We cannot even get pay-for-ride and I am pretty livid about it. Not even a mention that there would be a bus pick up anywhere near our home. Has anyone else had an issue like this before?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 06:18 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,613,969 times
It's always been a pretty clear cut deal in the Metroplex.

If you live more than 2 miles from your zoned school they will provide transportation. If you live less than 2 miles or transfer to a school you are not zoned for, then it's up to you to provide transportation.

I don't know of a single exception ever made. Good luck fighting that battle.

Old 05-22-2009, 07:28 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
you won't win--don't even try--just makes you out to be someone who is too hard-headed to read state law...
and the ONLY exception that I know of is for some special needs students who qualify for transportation no matter where they live or where their school is located...

Old 05-23-2009, 05:52 AM

75 posts, read 288,054 times
I guess I was just confused and assumed "pay-for-ride" meant you paid for the bus service no matter where in the KISD you were to get to the approved school. Silly me :-( . That is true, loves2read, that someone who fights for what you believe is right, IS made out to be hard-headed.
I have no intention of fighting this, but am hoping to find some sort of student shuttle service that won't run me more a month than to send to private school! Done venting-thanks for everyone's input!

Old 05-24-2009, 02:02 PM

I guess I don't understand what you mean by "pay for ride"
do you mean Keller will allow parents/students who live INSIDE the 2 mi limit to pay to ride a bus that goes by that area?
I am not familiar with that practice...
and from my experience not just teaching but working for the state of Texas--there are people who will argue (ad infinitum) about anything they do not agree with--whether it is significant issue or infinitessimal issue--they just don't like not to get what they want or take issue with being treated under the rules that others must abide by...
IF there is practice/rule in Keller ISD that says people in your situation were supposed to be allowed to have or pay for bus service--surely it is written in some handout that the ISD put out--this web site has a date in 08 for people to sign up to be eligible--
http://transfinderi.com/tfi/address....D-K04137537862
maybe that is why you were told you could not do it
take it to the school and refresh people's memory or go to the school board IF you were promised something that has now been disallowed...

Old 04-08-2010, 01:12 AM

don't post your ads here
you can send PM to people you think might be interested but this is not site for advertising your business

Old 04-08-2010, 08:22 AM

4 posts, read 11,671 times
just beware that some of the shuttle companies do not have commercial insurance--insurance that allows the driver to transport children. ask to speak to their agent. it is my understanding that if they are not in a 12 pasg van, 15 pasg van, mini bus, or big bus they do not have proper insurance.

Old 04-08-2010, 09:31 AM

ask to see their certificate of insurance AND their permit --surely there has to be some type of chauffer/taxi license from the city to do this type of work ...

Old 04-08-2010, 12:50 PM

sorry--but no permit and no special chauffer/taxi license needed. but your are right to ask to see their insurance papers.

Old 04-13-2010, 12:40 PM

also some of these companies claim they have a tx dot number for safety. it is my understanding the state of texas does not offer tx dot numbers to vehicle that carry less than 16 passengers. be careful of who you hire to transport your kiddos. the best thing you can do is ask-

how long have they been in business (longer the better in my world)

insurance--not only look at the paperwork, call the agent (and make sure it is their agent and not the neighbor down the street) and ASK---DO THEY HAVE COVERAGE TO CARRY CHILDREN?

what vehicle will my child be in--it is my understanding you can only get comm. insurance to transport kids in a 12 pasg, 15 pasg, mini BUS and a big bus. make sure they do not switch vehicles on you (say they will be in a 15 pasg, but put you in a MINIVAN). what vehicles does your company own?

who is the driver---will it be the same person or someone different on some days? what is their driving record? how many drivers do they have?

will you give me your tax info?--some will, some will not.

i will tell you there are a few companies that do this properly. these companies LOVE what they do and they want to help out their neighbors. they want to make sure the kids get to and from school in not only a proper way but safely as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth