Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Fort Worth natives do you consider Fort Worth to be a Western or Southern City?
Southern 7 33.33%
Western 14 66.67%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 12:40 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,615,317 times

Advertisements

Yeah, my in laws will argue to the death of anyone that NO ONE makes BBQ like Memphis...where they are all natives. They consider it a Memphis thing....not a southern thing! haha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2009, 12:54 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,187,018 times
At the time of the Confederacy, the eastern part of Texas was the only part with much population, and it is the "southern" part. As a native Fort Worthian, I think Fort Worth is "where the West begins". Dallas is only 30 miles east, but it's definitely more Southern than Western.

Fort Worth is where the West begins...Dallas is where the East peters out.

Old 06-20-2009, 01:30 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
the state food pretty much says it all
IF Texas were a Southern state, we would BBQ with pork--we don't--we use BEEF--
Beef is not the BBQ meat of the South--
the South--from FL to Memphis to SC-- those states use PORK...you can't find decent brisket anywhere there
ergo...Texas is a Western state...
I can't resist though, Loves2read, that if Texas were a "Western" state...then BBQ would not be a staple at all! You make some very large leaps of "ergo" logic here!

Texas is very much part of the so-called Southern "BBQ Belt".

Of course, you have a good point about beef vs. pork...and the fact most in Texas is beef is one of those things that make us unique! Yet....as in the rest of the South though, Texas BBQ (beef or pork) is a verb, not a noun! That is to say, a process whose roots are of the southeastern United States.

You don't find many true "BBQ joints" in the West. Per capita...almost like "catfish joints" (of which no doubt Texas is Southern)...they are are almost non-existent out or up that way.

Ergo? Texas is Southern!..?

Last edited by TexasReb; 06-20-2009 at 01:47 PM..

Old 06-20-2009, 02:09 PM

62 posts, read 287,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerfield View Post
People who claim Fort Worth is a Western city don't know the West, South or Fort Worth.

Everyone has the right to their own opinion, but there is a right and wrong answer to the subject of this thread. Right being Fort Worth leans far more Southern than Western.
In your opinion anyway.

I've been to Sacramento California and it's striking how much Fort Worth looks and feels like Sacramento in a lot of ways.

The topic just asks you to "chime in" not force your opinion.

Old 06-20-2009, 02:46 PM

394 posts, read 1,257,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Fort Worth is where the West begins...Dallas is where the East peters out.

LOL

-Eric

Old 06-20-2009, 03:36 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,376,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subslug View Post
In your opinion anyway.

I've been to Sacramento California and it's striking how much Fort Worth looks and feels like Sacramento in a lot of ways.
Examples? Especially the feel part.

I've never heard that Fort Worth and Sacramento were similer prior to your post.

Quote:
The topic just asks you to "chime in" not force your opinion.
Point noted and you're right.

Old 06-20-2009, 08:21 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
BBQ itself comes from the Mexican barbacoa process although I am sure that all cultures have cooked meat over coals so you can't saw that this is only from Mexico
and in Mexico mutton, goat, and cow's head (and pork) in different areas of Mexico are traditional meats used and that process also involves wrapping the meat in maguay leaves and boiling or steaming it as well...so we have deviated from the traditional process

frankly, you can have your opinion and document as much as you like---I am not going to change my mind that TX is a southern state

Old 06-20-2009, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
BBQ itself comes from the Mexican barbacoa process although I am sure that all cultures have cooked meat over coals so you can't saw that this is only from Mexico
and in Mexico mutton, goat, and cow's head (and pork) in different areas of Mexico are traditional meats used and that process also involves wrapping the meat in maguay leaves and boiling or steaming it as well...so we have deviated from the traditional process
Yes, many places claim to be the "cradle" of BBQ! LOL My point was that most of the Texas BBQ tradition is of Southern roots and origins and is generally accepted as part of the so-called Southern Barbeque Belt. Even though, yes, there are certainly other influences.

Quote:
frankly, you can have your opinion and document as much as you like---I am not going to change my mind that TX is a southern state
And you are certainly entitled to your opinion. Just as I am mine. Which is that Texas is essentially a Southern state. Not a typical Southern state (whatever one means by that) by any means, but basically Southern in the sense it shares (as LBJ put it) a common heritage and outlook with the South that differs considerably from the Northeast, Midwest and Far West.

In the long run, it is all only opinion (and yeah, biases), anyway. There is no scientifically proveable "right answer" at all.

Old 06-20-2009, 08:48 PM

62 posts, read 287,299 times
Quote:
Examples? Especially the feel part.

I've never heard that Fort Worth and Sacramento were similer prior to your post.
You ever just gotten tired of a topic?

This one has given me tired head so, I'll just agree to whatever the majority decides.

It's pretty hard to explain how or why a place gives you a feeling, it either does or it doesn't.

cheers

Old 06-20-2009, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Culturally, the size and history of Texas' African-American population alone, tells me this state is more Southern than Western.

Texas, along with Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, Louisiana etc.. are states crazy about College Football. The West outside of USC enclaves in LA, gernerally could care less about the sport.
Both of these points are very good ones. Like many things which "prove" a states basic regional affiliation, they may seem trivial, but yet are very relevant.

Unlike the true West, Texas has always had a significant non-migrant African American population. Because of the more recent hispanic immigration, the percentage has decreased over the years but no doubt of the entrenched impact on Texas' basic character.

Football, of course, is very notable. High School and College football is almost an obscession in the Texas and the South. Not so much in the West.

Church membership is another area (which I think KD mentioned). Most of Texas is very much part of the Southern Bible Belt, whereas the "West" (as defined by the U.S. Census Bureau) is the region where church membership is less than any other part of the country.

But oh well...! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth