U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Fort Worth natives do you consider Fort Worth to be a Western or Southern City?
Southern 7 33.33%
Western 14 66.67%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 11:01 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,470,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post

You are very correct on this point, however in this instance, the designation (which is "West South Central") is simply geographic, not historical nor cultural. Here is a map of the U.S. Census Bureau regions and sub-regions which delinates and labels it all:

http://www.census.gov/geo/www/us_regdiv.pdf
You could look at it that way, or you could look at the fact that those areas technically fall into the eastern half of the country, should you divide it evenly.

They're just too eastern to me. I don't even feel right calling them South Central.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 07:12 AM

10,167 posts, read 17,129,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
[b] *Choking*........TR, please tell me that you don't mean that Fort Worth is in West Texas....Lubbock, I'd agree, but FW is definitely north Texas!

Or did I just completely misunderstand..??
LOL Never fear, Cathy! Certainly Ft. Worth is in North Texas. IMO one doesn't really get into true West Texas until they cross a Vernon/Abilene axis. I was using the term "west Texas" in this instance to to mark -- for the purpose of using the sub-regional term "western South" -- where the post-bellum frontier and new settlement really began after the WBTS. Which was generally west of I-35 W. Hope that clears it up!

Old 09-02-2009, 10:41 AM

9,191 posts, read 19,112,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
LOL Never fear, Cathy! Certainly Ft. Worth is in North Texas. IMO one doesn't really get into true West Texas until they cross a Vernon/Abilene axis. I was using the term "west Texas" in this instance to to mark -- for the purpose of using the sub-regional term "western South" -- where the post-bellum frontier and new settlement really began after the WBTS. Which was generally west of I-35 W. Hope that clears it up!
*Whew*....LOL!!

Old 12-09-2009, 07:53 PM

1 posts, read 1,609 times
Default I speak for the people from right in the middle.

You guys had a lot of fun with this topic and I have enjoyed the results. I have to come down on the West side of the debate. Kind of funny I belong to a group who call themselves the Southwest Group. Nothing to do with trees or BBQ or longhorns though. I grew up right halfway between Dallas and Fort Worth in Hurst. I lived as far West as you can go without getting wet and have spent many happy hours in the piney woods of East Texas. To me the pine trees giving way to open fields and mesquite trees as you move from East to West is the real dividing line. Not much moss in the trees West of Fort Worth. I was actually surprised to find "Cowboy Types" out in California I thought we had the corner on the market. Happy Trails.

Old 12-10-2009, 06:40 PM

394 posts, read 1,090,585 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rCs6mwY9Vk

"If you're ever down in TX, look me up"

-Eric

Old 12-11-2009, 12:00 PM

7 posts, read 11,733 times
I'm not going to read all of the replies, so forgive me if I repeat something that's been repeated a million times already. First of all, this is NOT the South, and I prefer to think of it as the gateway to the Southwest. While Cowtown has its distinct sabor and atmosphere, I believe the culture has much more to do with our Hispanic/Mexican/Southwestern US roots. We didn't have (for the most part) sprawling cotton plantations, our participation/zealotry in the Civil War was certainly not that of a Virginia, Georgia, etc. Much of our cowboy culture comes from the Mestizo/vaquero traditions. That spreads from here to California, really. So, I say Southwest. We're the best of both worlds.

Old 12-29-2009, 02:03 PM

10,167 posts, read 17,129,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momentumspace View Post
I'm not going to read all of the replies, so forgive me if I repeat something that's been repeated a million times already. First of all, this is NOT the South, and I prefer to think of it as the gateway to the Southwest. While Cowtown has its distinct sabor and atmosphere, I believe the culture has much more to do with our Hispanic/Mexican/Southwestern US roots. We didn't have (for the most part) sprawling cotton plantations, our participation/zealotry in the Civil War was certainly not that of a Virginia, Georgia, etc. Much of our cowboy culture comes from the Mestizo/vaquero traditions. That spreads from here to California, really. So, I say Southwest. We're the best of both worlds.
Every once in a while I revisit an old thread...which is always fun to do!

Texas -- or at least the vast majority..and certainly the whole of it -- belongs to the South. A very unique part of it (South, that is), but essentially Southern. And this embraces Ft. Worth.

I understand the point you are trying to make -- and respect it -- but with all due respect -- your point about the "Civil War" is just not correct.

Virginia and Texas cannot even be lumped in the same class as concerns sentiment for secession. Not really even close. Texas was -- at least in that day -- considered a "Lower South Cotton State.". It was an original member of the Confederacy. Virginia voted down secession, initially. It only joined the Confederacy when it had to choose sides after incident at Ft. Sumter.

On the other hand, as mentioned earlier, the percentage of delegates favoring secession in Texas was higher than any "charter" state (7 states) except South Carolina.

You bring up Georgia? In fact, it is extremely arguable that Texas would have seceded before any other state of the Lower South if it had not been that Gov. Houston refused to call the legislature into secession to consider the question (he knew full well what the outcome would have been).

Texas was very much a state dominated by King Cotton wealth. That is one of the reasons so many settlers from the southeast came in to begin with.

Texas does not have an "hispanic" history and influence that the true SW has. The Texas cowboy prototype was mostly an influence of the Old South drover tradition -- from where most of the stock (no pun intended! LOL) -- came. The original Texas cowboys were likely to have been ex-Confederate veterans -- or sons of the same -- and not much influenced by the Mexican "herding and tending" vaquero tradition. Even the saddles were different...

This is something not true at all of the real SW.

Yes, one can call Texas "Southwest"...and I would agree EXCEPT that the Texas of the Southwest (in terms of history and culture) is 'Southwest" as defined by being a "western South". A very interesting sub-region where the Old South meets the Frontier West.

On the other hand, New Mexico and Arizona are "Southwest" in the sense of "southern West." There is nothing Southern about them. They are two totally different critters and creations.

As concerns to topic, yes, Ft. Worth is a "western" and/or "southwestern city. BUT? Wichita, Kansas, is also a "cowtown' and "western" city. It hardly makes the two into being part of the same coherent region...and certainly not sharing much with the Rocky Mountain West nor desert Southwest.

I cannot think of a single thing -- broadly speaking -- that bonds Ft. Worth with Santa Fe or Albequerque or Phoenix. Much less with Denver or whatever. Or even most points (save the trans-pecos El Paso area) west of Ft. Worth being truly "Southwestern". Most of west Texas -- topography not withstanding -- is Southern in orientation and character. Not the least of reasons being self-identifying with the South. The acccent is unquestionably Southern...

Fort Worth is the beginning of the Western South, not the interior Southwest. It is certainly not classic Old South...but its basic roots and history are Southern. Its western and southwestern identity has to be understood and explained within the same essential roots and identity....

Old 11-11-2010, 03:49 PM

228 posts, read 337,178 times
I see you have discussed this subject long before I chimed in yesterday!
What subject do you teach? History maybe? As a Texas public school graduate we where required to take Texas history. I wonder if that is still the case?

Old 11-11-2010, 04:33 PM

3,491 posts, read 5,673,882 times
I don't think Fort Worth is where the West begins.For me, its more like Baird or Clyde.

Old 11-17-2010, 07:34 PM

216 posts, read 382,707 times
I've always felt that Greece was where the west began.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or