U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 04:27 PM

5 posts, read 22,634 times

Advertisements

So here it is! I was born in Vegas and for most of my life raised in the High Desert in Cali. Like most small town girls I was ready to venture out LONG Before I did!!! I really never felt like the desert suited me much! Or California for that matter.. I know most natives to any state dont much like "Grass is greeners" like myself But, I made my husband promise me 12 years ago we wouldnt stay in Cali forever! Well, we tried to move to Fort Worth Texas for 3 years! Had our hearts set on it infact! My best friend moved to Fort Worth thinking I would be shortley behind Well, my husbands job just wouldnt allow for it! So, we decided to just go somewhere else if it would just get us out of Cali! The expense of living there, even the desert was just nutts! The schools were crap! And we were just READY to get out! So, my husband went outside his company and moved us here to St Augustine Florida. Left all our family and everyone we knew and loved behind. It was hard but we did it! Well, the thing is we LOVE it here in St Augustine! It is beautiful! Like night and day from the desert! That is what we wanted, different. Different climate, different people, different culture! Definatly different scenery!!! lol Well, what we love is ironicaly what we miss as well.. lol The people are SO different then from the west! In some good ways and others were just not used too. Anyway, well my Husband hates his job here and wants to go back to the company he worked for! My kids dont want to go and I dont really want to go. BUT, we would now have the oppertunity to go to Fort Worth Texas. And I AM SOOOOOO Torn! Although, its not really my decision. Its more my husbands decision. He is afterall the bread winner and shouldnt have to be misserable in his job for the next 40 years! I think he would stay for my sake if I really wanted. But here is where im torn ok.. St Augustine is beautiful! We live in St. Johns county and so my kids get to go to WONDERFUL schools that offer great enrichment programs. I know I have heard the schools in Fort Worth are good as well. What I say now I say in a good way.. We are 20 years behind the times over here in North East Florida! Its very "old South" culture.. The kids still play outside, ride bikes with out helmets and drink from a water hose ya know? lol Back in Cali the kids just didnt really go outside.. They stayed inside and played video games all day! Parents were more paranoid? Or we had more to worry about over there? Or we are just more ignorant to the bad things over here.. But we dont hear much about gangs over here at all! Or drugs much either. Not to say that stuff doesnt exisit here but you just dont hear about it as much. Anywho, all that plus all the water and such mild climate! The weather here is awsome! Yes, HUMID summers! But the nice fall, winter and spring makes up for it! Plus, I LOVE The rain!!! We didnt get much rain in the desert All the green!! And tree's everywhere! Gentle rolling hills, white sandy beaches! All the pretty birds.. I could go on! Now for the cons.. haha Its flippen 2500 miles away from home!!! lol I guess no one ever said it was going to be easy to move cross country from coast to coast! Even a trip home on a plane is an all day event In Fort Worth I would have my best friend and I would then only be 1200 miles from home! lol That may seem like a lot until your way over here! haha a 2 hour flight home vs 6 pales in comparison! haha Not only that but me having a family and one dependable income we could drive home from Fort Worth if need be.. I have been to Fort Worth a few times now and we really liked it! The people are SO friendly for the most part. But I keep hearing about Fort Worth being run over by Cali people! Im not sure if thats a good or a bad thing for me haha I know that sounds funny coming from a Californian! lol But, just what we were trying to escape ya know? On one level it would be AWSOME to have people more like ME! Whom I have more things in common with.. But on another its nice to be away from all that.. Im not knocking Californians now but ya know what its like when your just ready for change? The change here is nice. Here they compain about snow birds! lol Northerners coming over here.. Not a lot of Cali people migrate over this way I guess? But they INVADE Texas.. Now, here people are very outdoorsy! They dont seem to be all caught up with "keeping up with the Jones" They could care less who has the newest trend bag or the biggest house on the street! I like that. Not to say they dont take pride in there nice things here. It is just very different prioritys! haha People dont go bankrupt making sure they have the newest trend bag here! But if they can afford it then great! Ok, so how is Fort Worth on that level? I know we are living in a material world and there is always going to be some materialism.. As long as that isnt all its about like Cali seemed to be? I have some more questions for ya'll or anyone who is willing to anwser but this is getting long so I wont be to overwhelming.. I will see who anwsers back and go on from there.. Oh, one more thing.. There are TONS of state parks over here.. Great camping places and lots of family places to do outdoorsy things.. What is there to do over there to that affect? I know there is lots of Lakes.. DO they have any lakes that have beach areas to just go and splash around? Thanks for all those that take the time to read this long thread.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2007, 09:00 PM

101 posts, read 317,016 times
I live in fl and plan to relocate to DFW area no family or friends in Texas, lived in FL all my life, but looking for better for my family. I learn a lot on the forum, keep reading.
I hope everything works out for you and your family

Old 04-26-2007, 10:43 AM

2 posts, read 5,815 times
Thumbs up Fort Worth is great!

Wow,moving is a a tough decision. I am a mom, realtor and have lived in the Fort Worth area all my life. I travel a lot and through my travels I have come to appreciate Fort Worth area even more! (Now,it's not Dallas,not even close and they are really two completely different cities). Fort worth and surround communiting cities offer a low cost of living, exemplary schools, low crime rates, almost 4 true season changes (Autumn is a little too short for my taste) and there is an abundance of lakes, parks and affordable recreation. And amazingly, the freeways are easy to manuver and traffic flow is good. Probably the major downside for me is that Summers can get pretty hot. But if you like warm weather you would love it here. Please ask me any questions, as I am a true Fort Worth fan. Other surrounding communities include Weatherford, Azle, Springtown, Granbury just to name a few.

Last edited by AustinTraveler; 04-27-2007 at 11:40 AM.. Reason: Contact info.

Old 04-26-2007, 01:27 PM

3 posts, read 10,824 times
Default Fort Worth is great!

I can truly relate to your situation. I've lived in Los Angeles, Dallas/Ft.Worth and Central Florida (Orlando). If you have to leave FL, then hands down move to Texas. It's an amazing place to live. As Pam mentioned, FT. Worth and Dallas are night and day different. Dallas is "uptown" with all of the Jones'. Ft. Worth is "the family town" with great suburbs, schools, shopping and the outdoor stuff. I recommend the NE section of Tarrant County (which is the county Ft. Worth is in.) Taxes can be a little high though.

High School football is big time in Texas, even if you don't like the game. Make sure you attend at least one homecoming game in the fall, you'll get a kick out of it. Like nothing you've ever seen

Best of luck to you!

Old 04-26-2007, 04:50 PM

101 posts, read 317,016 times
thank for the info,
cmdavis

Old 04-26-2007, 04:55 PM

16,092 posts, read 35,788,600 times
I vote for Dallas - East Dallas has old money, is sophisticated and people don't care what you drive, where you work or how much you make.

We do talk about Real Estate and houses because we have new Castles going up down to early 1900 bungalows. An amazing variety of homes from Prairie to Craftsman, to Tudor, to Spanish Eclectic, to Georgian, etc...

Also we have smaller homes, new and older townhouses, funky apartments, duplexes, eightplexes, etc.

And the best nightlife, restaurants and parks...look up White Rock Lake and Lakewood in wikipedia.

Old 06-06-2007, 11:35 PM

1 posts, read 2,334 times
I have lived in Springtown since 99. All in all TX is ok, and Fort Worth & suburbs are better than the mess of Dallas. If you like outdoor camping, and activities, it is NOTHING like Florida, or many other states. The parks are mainly at lakes, and crowded on weekends. Fishing is good, hunting sucks. Why does hunting suck in TX? Lack of public land, and you have to pay landowners a HIGH lease fee. Road rage is prevelant, even on smaller highways. All the schools in Fort Worth are not the greatest, as one previous post suggests. FWISD is an inner city district, with inner city problems. My wife taught for FWISD for a number of years, and has seen its decline. Do your research on which schools your kids will attend, B4 renting or buying. Some are BAD. Really BAD. Maybe not as bad as Dallas, but please do your homework. Areas to look at: Weatherford, Springtown, Decatur, Azle, Willow Park, Aledo. All depends on if you want city or rural. However, if coming from St. Augustine, it is totally different than there. I lived in Florida, PA, AR, and TX. All in all, I like TX. Wish the outdoor situation was like AR and PA, but ya can't have everything! LOL

Good luck on your move. Hope I helped!

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 06-14-2007 at 09:49 AM..

Old 06-07-2007, 09:15 AM

5,412 posts, read 14,046,336 times
Thread starter, please use paragraphs!! Thanks.

Old 06-10-2007, 08:44 PM

2,639 posts, read 2,308,472 times
There are many lakes throughout Texas and yes, there are beach areas.

Old 06-13-2007, 07:08 PM

2 posts, read 3,878 times
Default Clubs, Organizations, etc.

Does anyone know of any groups, clubs, organizations, etc. that cater to people who are from large cities (such as Chicago, New York, Miami, Los Angeles) that have relocated to the DFW area?

Any kind of guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or