U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2007, 06:39 PM

15 posts, read 44,887 times

Advertisements

Hi there! My husband and I are moving to Ft. Worth this summer for his job and I have a possible job opportunity in Denton. We are considering buying a home in South FW near I-35. I've done a mapquest and know that Denton is about 35 miles straight up I-35 from Ft. Worth. However, I also know that in the D/FW area, 35 miles can mean anywhere from a 45 minute commute to an hour and a half commute!

Can anyone tell me realistically what that commute would be? The hours would be typical (8:30am to 5:30pm). Also, in case the commute is horrendous, can anyone offer suggestions of nice areas between FW and Denton (preferably, not the suburbs)?

Thanks in advance -- everyone on this board is so helpful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2007, 07:26 AM

27,447 posts, read 44,947,050 times
Driving up or down I-35 for a normal daily commute would be like having a root canal every day at least from what my husband has seen.

He has driven that way several times in the afternoon after working in downtown FTW to see what the commute would be like if we moved to towns like Keller n of 820 and close to I-35 or further out like Argyle...he hated it.

If you can listen to tv broadcasts via Internet--listen to any morning tv show--they do road/driving condition updates and while much of their info is Dallas--they do cover FTW and that 1-35 corridor is bad news...

If you lived in north part of Tarrant co like n Keller or Trophy Club or Haslet, you would cut the commute a little for a Denton trip but it would still not be easy getting into downtown on I-35...

Where would your husband's job be located--in downtown--on south or west part of town?
Denton is spread out--where is your possible job?

Don't know what you mean by "not the suburbs"--do you want rural acreage?

Old 04-23-2007, 07:57 AM

15 posts, read 44,887 times
Default Clarification

Thanks -- my husband will be working at Baylor All Saints Hospital (just South of downtown FW, I think). My possible job opportunity would be at University of North Texas in Denton.

We prefer older, urban areas to suburban areas (such as the historical districts close to downtown FW). We are definitely not interested in rural areas -- I should've been more clear! Really, we are just not interested in all the new development areas; rather, we're more interested in areas with history and character. Thanks!

Does anyone know whether travelling one way vs. the other is a better commute? Is it better to travel from FW to Denton and live in FW or travel from Denton to FW and live in Denton?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or