Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2008, 09:54 PM

65 posts, read 234,171 times

Advertisements

Hey all!

There is a good possibility my job will be relocating me to Arlington, TX within the next month. I posted this in the Dallas forum and someone suggested I post over in the Fort Worth forum as well.

I'm wondering what area I should be looking at for an apartment. I hear Plano, etc is nice, but they're way too far of a commute. Are there any similar areas near Arlington? I'll be working near the Six Flags in Arlington I'm told. I've looked at Euless, but from what I read it's kind of a bedroom community.

To give you all an idea, I'm 27, male, single... I wouldn't say I'm a party animal at this stage in my life, but I do like to hit up bars on the weekends now and again. Ideally I'm looking for a place that's a short commute to work, is not crime-ridden and has some social stuff near by (especially since I won't know _anyone_ when I move down there).

On a map, Grand Prairie looks like it makes sense, but I've heard that it's kind of ghetto'ish unless you're south of I-20. Bedford and Euless are nice and close as well... are they really just bedroom communities?

Any input would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance

Last edited by krisco750; 02-04-2008 at 09:55 PM.. Reason: fixed formatting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 04:09 PM

307 posts, read 1,181,400 times
The Six Flags area, while there are bars and what not in the area, is fine for a visit, but nowhere really in the area to live at. The apartment scene in Arlington, while there's a lot of them, is rather dismal right now. Search around the forums for that one. Brown Blvd and Green Oaks areas might have something.

There's not much in GP for social activities, if at all. And I can't suggest any particular apartments there. It's mostly a residential community but the northside and the westside near the 6F area can be ghettoish. It's possible there might be a nice place hidden along I-30. But I'd start elsewhere.

You might be a candiate for the H-E-B area. I'd suggest start with apartments north of 183 or the 121 area, until you know the area better.

Plano is very nice, but it's far, and the commute could weigh on you after a while. North Irving is a viable alternative, some nice areas there.

The morning commute into Arlington isn't too bad, it's the evenings that are busy going back to Arlington. And if you were coming from H-E-B it would be pretty in and out.

What exactly do you mean by 'bedroom community'? Like commuter towns?

Old 02-05-2008, 08:16 PM

Thanks for the reply!

What is H-E-B? Hurst, Euless, Bedford I'm guessing? If so, that's where I've been looking (on the net) all day today as it seems like it's a nice easy commute and I've read that they're nice areas.

A "bedroom community" as I mean it is basically somewhere where there is no social activity at all. It's basically just all apartments and people only sleep there but go elsewhere for entertainment/recreation/etc.

I don't need to have a city life... actually quite the opposite. I'm from the "sticks" in New Jersey (yes, they do exist contrary to popular belief lol) so I prefer a quiet, rural atmosphere to live in... but ideally I could just catch a taxi or take a short ride and be somewhere fun if I felt so inclined .

I found out that my transfer is definite today and I will be heading down in March most likely. Luckily my company will most likely put me up in a hotel for a couple months or until I find a place, so I will have the luxury of scouting the area before deciding on something... but my problem is that I don't know where to look!

Old 02-06-2008, 12:40 PM

Do you have a car? You'll want one down here. There's no bus transportation in most of Tarrant County except Fort Worth. And cabs are things people use for airports. It would be cheaper to lease a ride than rely on cabs. Make that a priority, after finding a place to live if you don't have one. Dallas has the busing and DART system, but since your working in Arlington, that doesn't matter.

Ok, H-E-B they are considered satellite cities to Fort Worth-Arlington. In recent years they have evolved into their little enclave; along with Colleyville, Grapevine, Southlake and other cities around there. Most people refer to this area collectively as the Mid Cities or NE Tarrant.

What there is to do might depend on what entertains you. There are urban-naturey things to do all over DFW, parks scattered around, lots of lake related stuff if that's your thing. Theaters, bars, you name it, it's somewhere. But clubbing type stuff, its mostly Dallas. Art stuff, FW and Dallas. If your a shopper, just pick a direction and you will find something. Hurst, Grapevine, Southlake have their own town square type areas, for entertainment and shopping. Bedford has some bars. Euless, well, it's for living.

Old 02-06-2008, 05:35 PM

Yes... I do have a car that I will be driving down in. I mentioned taking a cab because I don't really know anyone if I wanted to go out and have a couple drinks I would think it's the only alternative to DWI.

Are taxis not realistic in the DFW area? I realize it's probably not like NYC where there's cabs everywhere you go, but even in the boondocks where I live, if I am going out and planning on having a few drinks I can call a taxi service. It's a little expensive, but definitely the right thing to do in my opinion .

As for what I do for entertainment... I don't really know hah. As it stands now a night out on the weekend usually consists of going to a local pub with friends and seeing a local cover band or something... nothing grand mostly because there's not much to do in the area that I'm at now. I'm not too worried about that though, I'm sure I'll find my niche.

Thanks for the info on HEB! I'll definitely take a trip out there when I get down into the area. I've spent the last couple days looking at apartments online and I think I might have found a prime candidate in Oak Forest Apartments. It's located about 3 miles away from where I'll be working and the pictures seem nice... apartmentratings.com gave it decent reviews and the price is pretty impressive. It is located off of Avenue J just before 360). Do you happen to know anything about this area?

Thanks again for your responses

Old 02-07-2008, 11:10 AM

LOL, yea that's good thinking. Yea, taxi's are fine for times like that, I just for some reason thought you were going to rely on them for all driving.

Ave J, that area could be hit or miss, don't know those specifically. You might consider looking around the Riverside Pkwy area as well, those are nicer than Ave J I think. Also, use the APD site as a research source. Crime Statistics You can search by apartments.

Old 02-08-2008, 02:18 PM

6 posts, read 18,602 times
Hello, I noticed that you were talking about the DFW area, I may be transferring to Dallas, and I will be working from home, but my territory will be West Dallas, all of Tarrant County and some of Denton County. I want to be near dallas...at least a 30 minute drive or less from uptown etc. You mentioned North Irving as having nice places to live...do you know the zip code for north Irving? Is that the Las Colinas area? Also
DO you KNow anything about Farmers Branch? Is it ghetto, do they have good schools? Any shopping? I'm single, no kids...I don't want to be in the boonies...I'd like to live in a neighborhood that attracts families and singles for re-sale value...but like I said, no more than a 30 min drive to the uptown area of Dallas. Thanks for any help!

Old 02-08-2008, 04:34 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,255,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by relocatingtodallas View Post
Hello, I noticed that you were talking about the DFW area, I may be transferring to Dallas, and I will be working from home, but my territory will be West Dallas, all of Tarrant County and some of Denton County. I want to be near dallas...at least a 30 minute drive or less from uptown etc. You mentioned North Irving as having nice places to live...do you know the zip code for north Irving? Is that the Las Colinas area? Also
DO you KNow anything about Farmers Branch? Is it ghetto, do they have good schools? Any shopping? I'm single, no kids...I don't want to be in the boonies...I'd like to live in a neighborhood that attracts families and singles for re-sale value...but like I said, no more than a 30 min drive to the uptown area of Dallas. Thanks for any help!
Zipcode for Las Colinas is 75039 and check out 75063 too.

Farmers Branch is Carrollton ISD. There are a few threads that discuss the recent controversial FB city not allowing legal immigrants to live or have businesses there.

Sounds like you have a vast areas that you can be within uptown, depending on your budget but I would suggest Addison, Plano. Murphy, Sachse, Rockwall, Rowlett, these last 2 might be too far east for you but worth the commute.

Naima

Old 02-12-2008, 08:14 AM

11 posts, read 55,245 times
Default North Arlington

North Arlington, (north of I-30), is an ideal area for someone wanting an easy commute to either Fort Worth or Dallas. It is also convenient to DFW airport. Nearby attractions (practically walking distance) include Six Flags, The Ballpark at Arlington and the new Cowboys stadium. Rentals and property values are a bit higher in this section of Arlington, but worth the convenience. Also, North Arlington is within 5 miles of the Trinity Railway stations, making commuting to downtown Fort Worth (which has a HUGE singles scene, as well as Bass Hall and other cultural events) OR to the American Airlines center in downtown Dallas (major sports and entertainment venue) much easier!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth