U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 07:03 PM

5,412 posts, read 14,052,475 times

Advertisements

Some family members will visit me next month and asked me to come up with a list of activities (things to do) while they're hear. They'll visit me for 2 full days. I'm thinking of showing them around FW on the first day (I've lived here almost a year) and then take them to Dallas the second day (I've only been there a few times). What do you think of this list I've created?

I'll ask in the Dallas section for help since I know much little about things to do there than I do here in FW. BTW, of these activities, I've done about half of them while I've lived here. Also, we're all young adults (20s and 30s), so I don't have to worry about entertaining kids or the elderly.

TIA.

Fort Worth Botanic Garden

Fort Worth Museum of Science and History

Fort Worth Stockyards

Fort Worth Water Gardens

Fort Worth Western Currency Facility (http://www.bep.treas.gov/locations/section.cfm/25 - broken link)

Fort Worth Zoo

Sundance Square
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2007, 08:04 AM

103 posts, read 623,778 times
You have started a great list!

Here are some other things I can think of off the top of my head that may interest you and/or them:
  • The art museums such as The Modern or Amon Carter
  • See a comedy show such as "Four Day Weekend" in downtown Fort Worth, or see who is performing at Hyena's.
  • Cowgirl Museum (this is next to the Sciene Museum in Fort Worth)
  • The Studios at Las Colinas
  • The Mustangs of Las Colinas
  • Ride a gondola while in Las Colinas
  • Louis Tussaud's Palace of Wax
  • Dallas Arboretum
  • CR Smith Museum
  • Take the Tarantula Train from the Stockyards (or whatever it is called now) and visit Grapevine for some great wine while visiting a winery. Maybe stop in and check out the Gaylord Texas. If they are here in the middle of May, this is when they hold the Main Street Days. Also, the Grapevine Opry may be an interesting option.

Old 04-29-2007, 10:24 AM

Thanks for that info., artcgal! I'll check them out as well and then let my family members decide on what to do. I'm not familiar with Las Colinas, but I assume it's toward Dallas. A friend also told me that there's a lot of stuff to do (on the Dallas side) near where the State Fair of Texas is held.

Old 05-01-2007, 01:06 PM

27,581 posts, read 45,029,595 times
Las Colinas is north part of Irving ne of FTW --around 114 corridor--MacArthur is one street that runs N/S from 635 Loop through 114 Las Colinas to 183 into older part of Irving

FTW:
Friday Star-Telegram has section "Star Time" with lots of lists of things to do/places to go/restaurants in FTW--Dallas--Mid Cities so that is worth looking at...

Magnolia at the Modern---movies that play on weekends at Modern Art Museum since they are a little artsy for regular movie houses

Take in concert at the Ridgelea before it closes if you can

Eat at Joe T Garcia's (which some people think is ultimate Mexican food in FTW)but I rate pretty much average)--but the patios are nice

Angelo's or Railhead downtown for barbque

Cats' minor league baseball game at new stadium n of town

TCU college baseball game--very good squad and pretty campus

Amon Carter Museum of Western Art

Kimball Museum--they are in same area

Drive out to Granbury for the town square shops

Same with Grapevine's downtown

Walk through the Gaylord's Grapevine hotel---really nice glassed-in interior rotundad w/walking trails to hotel wings w/rooms, shops and restaurants themed like TX areas--scaled down replica of Alamo for example...have to pay to park but get rebate if you eat at one of the restaurants...

the breakfast/Sunday brunch is good (one of their best values IMO) and they have big sports bar restaurant w/recliners people can sit in and watch like 15 tv screens and eat. (But that menu is expensive to me and food not that good really.)
You don't have to be a hotel guest to get reservation to eat....

Hotel also does killer Christmas light decoration right after Thanksgiving--have seen many people/families inside the rotunda having pictures made for Christmas cards...even saw bride having wedding dress photos taken...

Grepevine Opry has musical shows on weekend--some talented people, some not--but country mainly.
There are also theater performances there from time to time...they do a Friday movie thing where they replay older movies--like Casablanca--dinner and a movie...

Old 05-02-2007, 01:17 AM

That's great info., loves2read. I appreciate your taking the time for that. I just checked out a TCU college baseball game last Fri. (my first college baseball game, I believe). I'll check out the Star-Telegram newspaper as that weekend approaches.

I'm glad you also mentioned eateries. My family members would prefer to eat at non-chain restaurants (i.e. places unique to FW or at least TX), no seafood, no red meat (therefore no steak), and no Mexican food (but Tex-Mex is OK). I'll take them to Bombay Grill off Hulen St. for Indian food, perhaps Jason's Deli off Camp Bowie, maybe Chinese restaurant in the area, and I saw a couple restaurants near where I live that I haven't been to before but am willing to try out.

Thanks again!

Old 05-06-2007, 12:51 PM

122 posts, read 755,583 times
I hate to be redundant, but I'd like to second some of the suggestions you've received so far. A trip through one or more of the art museums in the Cultural District can definitely be time well spent. Wandering around the Stockyards is interesting due to the historic nature of it.

Eating barbecue at Angelo's or Railhead is great plan, but if I could only eat one place in Fort Worth, I'd sit on the patio at Joe T's and sip margaritas. Joe T's is cut and dried Tex-Mex, not tricked up in the least. Up around here, we don't differentiate much between Mexican food and Tex-Mex (even though there is a significant difference), so keep that in mind when someone tells you about a "Mexican" food restaurant if you're looking for Tex-Mex. Most of what we have here is far more Tex-Mex than it is Mexican food.

I'm an avid Fort Worth Cats fan, I would definitely recommend yall take in a game out at La Grave Field, beautiful facility. Four Day Weekend is extremely entertaining improv comedy in a theater type setting, it's another good idea. Also, if yall are the outdoorsy types, you might consider going out to Cabela's and walking around, pretty nifty exhibits and such out there.

If it were up to me, I'd spend two days in Fort Worth. Not trying to ruffle anyone's feathers, but there's plenty to do in Fort Worth to keep you busy for awhile, I don't see any great need to go to Dallas.

Old 05-07-2007, 10:08 AM

^ ictb, thanks for the info. So we should take a swing through the Culture District and also go to the Stockyards. While I'm up for BBQ, since we don't eat red meat, I hope they'd have other foods to meet our dietary restrictions. I'll look up Joe T's to find their location.

We do like baseball, so that's an option to see the FW Cats if we can fit them into the schedule. I'll first see if they have home games that time period. We'll hit downtown FW on Fri. night and I'll suggest the comedy club to them. Hopefully it's not too pricey. I haven't been to Four Day Weekend yet, but did go to Hyena's last year. It was OK. I haven't heard of Cabela's, but will Google it up.

While FW might have a lot to do, since my family members are coming from out of state, they'd feel bad that they didn't get to visit a big city in Dallas, which is only an hour away. Therefore, the plan is still to spend a day in FW and another day in Dallas (probably in that order).

Thanks again.

Old 05-23-2007, 09:19 AM

Thanks again to those who helped me out with planning activities for my family members. They arrived last Thurs. evening and left either Sun. morning or Mon. evening.

We spent Fri. in FW and did the following activities (in order):
- Tour of the Bureau of Engraving and Printing, where they literally print the money that's in your wallet/purse
- Check out the Stockyards and walk around the area; we witnessed the 4 p.m. cattle drive, which was a letdown
- Visit the Botanic Garden and see all the species of flowers, trees, and animal factoids on display; good for pictures
- Go to downtown FW and check out the Water Gardens, which finally reopened; this was really neat
- Hang out in Sundance Square for dinner and walk the streets at night to see the nightlife

We then went to Dallas on Fri. We ran out of time to see the FW Zoo and other points of interest in the Cultural District, so I'll save that for a future visit from family/friends.

Old 05-30-2007, 05:43 PM

4 posts, read 91,523 times
Default Check with the Convention & Visitors Bureau

There are three CVB offices in FW. One downtown on the corner of 4th & Throckmorton, one in the Cultural District right in front of Will Rogers facing Lancaster and one in the Stockyards on Exhchage Street. They have lots of information on activities in the area and things to do. Also check the web site: Fort Worth, Texas you will find information there as well. Have fun!!

Old 06-10-2007, 09:39 PM

I had a couple friends from Austin visit me for the 3rd time in FW. This time, we hung out in Sundance Square on Fri. night, including a walk to the Water Garden. Too bad the water was turned off by that point.

On Sat., we went to the Indy Racing League Bombardier Learjet 550K race in north FW.

Today, we went to the FW Zoo. It was hot, but we had a good time. None of us had been to a zoo in the past several years.

All in all, a good weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or