U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-31-2007, 01:41 PM
 
Location: Alexandria, VA
1,078 posts, read 3,437,744 times
Reputation: 486

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sberdrow View Post
You will miss the mountains, you will really miss access to ocean. Keller is flat, very very flat. Grade Schools are rock solid. San Diego too beautiful to ever consider leaving. If you buy a house, its real cheap but taxes will run you a ton. You can buy a house for 200,000 that will equil your SD house equil to 700,000. I moved out there, I thought I was on a housing developement on the moon. Very few trees, all the houses made of brick. No palm trees that I can remember (Im sure I might have missed one) If your from the midwest, you won't notice. But if your from Cali, stay there or, if your going to move to Texas move to Austin. Austin will feel a little more like home to you. If you like sports....you have lots of pro teams in the area. I am not trying to be a downer but, as a person who has lived where you live, Its going to be quite a culture shock. Chek it out first, and don't fly, you miss all the fun. The drive from SD to texas is awesome. I drove from WashingtonState (lots of trees) to SD (water/sun shine)then through AZ(sunshine/Nice desert) and NM. To Texas (mountains, followed by flatt farm land). I was immediatly assaulted by a horrible windy rainny/hail electrical storm that lasted for four hundred miles of driving. Welcome to Texas.
California is not all about sun and sand... sorry. California's housing market and long commute times often make it not worth living there. Even in San Diego. I know when I lived there I hardly ever had the time to go to the beach. Although beautiful, with the time you waste on the freeways it just is not worth it.
Also, the schools are awful and unless you can afford a million dollar home, there are few places there I would live.
Sometimes jobs do not let us pick and choose exactly which metro area we can move to.
I do not know about Shaxs's particular situation, but I know in our case the job is in DFW.

For some reason people have this fantasy about California...trust me lived here most of my life and although, that may have been true over 20 years ago, it ain't all that now.
Shaxs, I wish you the best. Sberdrow, you are right the drive is a beautiful one I have done it a few times... from Cali to Georgia and back and Wisconsin as well.

MBG
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-31-2007, 03:43 PM
 
27,445 posts, read 44,934,740 times
Reputation: 14040
Austin has NO pro sports teams that I know of--UT college sprorts, minor league ice hocky, arena football, round rock has a farm team for MLB---SA has the Spurs and a nice farm MLB as well--the Missions---but not what I would call a lot of pro sports...
what pro teams were you thinking of SBERDROW?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2007, 04:07 PM
 
184 posts, read 785,740 times
Reputation: 83
I just wanted to jump in here and add my 2 cents We just moved to the north Fort Worth area in January when my husband retired from active duty military and went right to work at Lockheed Martin in February. We bought our home in the Heritage master planned community and we are loving it. I highly recommend anyone moving to this area to check out Heritage and all it's great amenities. Great community and with the Alliance Town Center coming, shopping and dining will be even better. Also just a few miles north between Alliance Airport and Texas Motor Speedway, a new world-class ski enclave, Bearfire Resort is scheduled to open in 2009. Keller is a great place to live and we love being relatively close to "everything" (practically) but still live in a smaller town atmosphere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2007, 04:09 PM
 
Location: Everywhere
1,920 posts, read 2,167,741 times
Reputation: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Austin has NO pro sports teams that I know of--UT college sprorts, minor league ice hocky, arena football, round rock has a farm team for MLB---SA has the Spurs and a nice farm MLB as well--the Missions---but not what I would call a lot of pro sports...
what pro teams were you thinking of SBERDROW?
I was speaking of the teams of Texas all around In 3 directions Dallas, San Antonio, and Huston. You can choose. Or Just root for them on TV. You don't have to pick. And you have UT which is more fun to watch than pro football, I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2007, 07:00 PM
 
739 posts, read 2,694,891 times
Reputation: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by sberdrow View Post
You will miss the mountains, you will really miss access to ocean. Keller is flat, very very flat. Grade Schools are rock solid. San Diego too beautiful to ever consider leaving. If you buy a house, its real cheap but taxes will run you a ton. You can buy a house for 200,000 that will equil your SD house equil to 700,000. I moved out there, I thought I was on a housing developement on the moon. Very few trees, all the houses made of brick. No palm trees that I can remember (Im sure I might have missed one) If your from the midwest, you won't notice. But if your from Cali, stay there or, if your going to move to Texas move to Austin. Austin will feel a little more like home to you. If you like sports....you have lots of pro teams in the area. I am not trying to be a downer but, as a person who has lived where you live, Its going to be quite a culture shock. Chek it out first, and don't fly, you miss all the fun. The drive from SD to texas is awesome. I drove from WashingtonState (lots of trees) to SD (water/sun shine)then through AZ(sunshine/Nice desert) and NM. To Texas (mountains, followed by flatt farm land). I was immediatly assaulted by a horrible windy rainny/hail electrical storm that lasted for four hundred miles of driving. Welcome to Texas.
Well, while housing is one of the big reasons for moving out there, its not the only reason. I was originally born in Texas and moved away when little. For most of my time in California, I lived in Fresno (5 years) and the central valley between Fresno and Bakersfield for 9 years. The past 5 have been spent in San Diego going to college and falling in love. Granted, this is an amazing city! It is beautiful and the weather is great. However, I rarely use/see the ocean. And a Mortgage on a $700,000 house at 6% plus taxes of 1% is ~$5500 a month. Buying a similiar, if not bigger and nicer house for $200,000 in Texas at 6% and 3% taxes is ~$1900 a month. So, I don know what you are talking about the houses being the same price wise. Lets put it this way, the price of renting a room in a house ($735) plus my rent for my office ($850) are more than 2/3rds of a mortgage in Texas. Now factor in what my fiancee pays to rent a room in a duplex ($550) and we are actually spending more in rent in San Diego to rent than we would to buy a house in Texas. And I live in City Heights- the absolute ghetto of San Diego.

Anyways, growing up in the central valley, my parents say its a lot like Texas. Flat, tons of fields (just in Texas you dont see the mountains like you do there), hot as heck in the summer (100+ easily) and cold in the winter (freezing, then we have to go turn on the wind machine to save crops). So, I am sort of used to the weather.

Another reason for wanting to move to Texas is to escape liberal California and go to a more conservative state. I also want to go where morals and ethics seem to be more important. Also, I am Christian and my religion is very important to me. I remember reading a quote on here that said, "In California, you're wierd if you belong to a church. Here in Texas, you're wierd if you do not belong to one." While this may be an over-generalization, there is some truth to that. Even though I moved from Texas when I was little (2nd grade) I can still remember how friendly every one was. We moved a lot and every time we moved, people in the neighborhood would bring us food and welcome us. Here is San Diego, I do not talk to my neighbors. They are stick to themselves and dont want to be bothered. I went to Houston last summer to go on a cruise from Gavelston. We stayed with my aunt for a few nights and went to their church small group potluck. Everyone was 15+ years older than us, but we had a blast. Everyone was sooo nice. I might have some rosy eyeglasses when it comes to remembering and experiencing Texas, but I do think, in general, for my morals and standards, Texas is a better fit for me. Here is a small example. A few weekends ago I finally graduated from college. It took me 7 years since I went part time. I went to colelge part time because I built and run two internet companies which take 50+ hours a week of my time. I am the first one in my family to graduate, so it was a huge deal to my family. The thing I loved the most during my graduation, was standing and singing the National Anthem. I thought to myself, "I am soo blessed to be in a country where I CAN go to college and I am given opportunities like starting my own business."

So, while the geographical and social changes can be extreme, I actually welcome the social one. I think the Californians who move out there *solely* to find a cheaper cost of living are going to be disappointed. But, Im moving for other reasons as well. Plus, how can you not want the great Texas BBQ! Anyways, I appreciate your honest candor- I hope you can appreciate mine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2007, 07:36 PM
 
130 posts, read 306,486 times
Reputation: 55
Shax-I appreciate your candor and thank you for it. Ditto, ditto, ditto for me. I live on the east coast (cape cod), and although this is a beautiful place with great beaches etc, I am looking forward to coming to Texas for many of the reasons you mentioned in your previous post. Massachusetts is expensive, expensive and liberal, liberal! This state has gay "marriage". As soon as the door opens for my family and I to leave...we're outta here!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2007, 08:15 PM
 
Location: Everywhere
1,920 posts, read 2,167,741 times
Reputation: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2happy View Post
Shax-I appreciate your candor and thank you for it. Ditto, ditto, ditto for me. I live on the east coast (cape cod), and although this is a beautiful place with great beaches etc, I am looking forward to coming to Texas for many of the reasons you mentioned in your previous post. Massachusetts is expensive, expensive and liberal, liberal! This state has gay "marriage". As soon as the door opens for my family and I to leave...we're outta here!!!!
also check out Colorado springs....You would love that place. Inexpensive, sunny, CONSERVATIVE for sure. Its pretty too. Check out the thread for it. I always here great things about where you live now. Have not met or talked to anybody who wants to leave. Texas is consvervative as a whole, but I don't think they are as extreme as you want it to be. As a democrate, I never felt an outsider. Even democrates love BBQ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2007, 08:25 PM
 
Location: Everywhere
1,920 posts, read 2,167,741 times
Reputation: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaxs View Post
Well, while housing is one of the big reasons for moving out there, its not the only reason. I was originally born in Texas and moved away when little. For most of my time in California, I lived in Fresno (5 years) and the central valley between Fresno and Bakersfield for 9 years. The past 5 have been spent in San Diego going to college and falling in love. Granted, this is an amazing city! It is beautiful and the weather is great. However, I rarely use/see the ocean. And a Mortgage on a $700,000 house at 6% plus taxes of 1% is ~$5500 a month. Buying a similiar, if not bigger and nicer house for $200,000 in Texas at 6% and 3% taxes is ~$1900 a month. So, I don know what you are talking about the houses being the same price wise. Lets put it this way, the price of renting a room in a house ($735) plus my rent for my office ($850) are more than 2/3rds of a mortgage in Texas. Now factor in what my fiancee pays to rent a room in a duplex ($550) and we are actually spending more in rent in San Diego to rent than we would to buy a house in Texas. And I live in City Heights- the absolute ghetto of San Diego.

Anyways, growing up in the central valley, my parents say its a lot like Texas. Flat, tons of fields (just in Texas you dont see the mountains like you do there), hot as heck in the summer (100+ easily) and cold in the winter (freezing, then we have to go turn on the wind machine to save crops). So, I am sort of used to the weather. I had a hard time with the flat topography. I would look at the horizon and all I could see were housing developments as far as the eye could see. In fact, they almost look like mountains from a certain perspective. Having no mountains, was just wierd to me. Not to have the protective ominous protective mountains....well you will see what I mean. Some people I talk to say they like that because they can see more blue sky. To me its like a picture with out a frame.

Another reason for wanting to move to Texas is to escape liberal California and go to a more conservative state. I also want to go where morals and ethics seem to be more important. Also, I am Christian and my religion is very important to me. I remember reading a quote on here that said, "In California, you're wierd if you belong to a church. Here in Texas, you're wierd if you do not belong to one." While this may be an over-generalization, there is some truth to that. Even though I moved from Texas when I was little (2nd grade) I can still remember how friendly every one was. We moved a lot and every time we moved, people in the neighborhood would bring us food and welcome us. Here is San Diego, I do not talk to my neighbors. They are stick to themselves and dont want to be bothered. I went to Houston last summer to go on a cruise from Gavelston. We stayed with my aunt for a few nights and went to their church small group potluck. Everyone was 15+ years older than us, but we had a blast. Everyone was sooo nice. I might have some rosy eyeglasses when it comes to remembering and experiencing Texas, but I do think, in general, for my morals and standards, Texas is a better fit for me. Here is a small example. A few weekends ago I finally graduated from college. It took me 7 years since I went part time. I went to colelge part time because I built and run two internet companies which take 50+ hours a week of my time. I am the first one in my family to graduate, so it was a huge deal to my family. The thing I loved the most during my graduation, was standing and singing the National Anthem. I thought to myself, "I am soo blessed to be in a country where I CAN go to college and I am given opportunities like starting my own business."

So, while the geographical and social changes can be extreme, I actually welcome the social one. I think the Californians who move out there *solely* to find a cheaper cost of living are going to be disappointed. But, Im moving for other reasons as well. Plus, how can you not want the great Texas BBQ! Anyways, I appreciate your honest candor- I hope you can appreciate mine
Your math is great (does not count for appreciation, but at stregnth..good). And that was my point. Housing is cheaper. Taxes are higher, but you still come out ahead. You can find the Values and churches you want in Dallas/Fw. I ran into Baptist churches every where. Seems like I saw churches in that area, like I saw Starbucks in Seattle...EVERY WHERE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2007, 01:00 AM
 
Location: Fort Worth, TX
1,379 posts, read 5,811,166 times
Reputation: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by sberdrow View Post
Your math is great (does not count for appreciation, but at stregnth..good). And that was my point. Housing is cheaper. Taxes are higher, but you still come out ahead. You can find the Values and churches you want in Dallas/Fw. I ran into Baptist churches every where. Seems like I saw churches in that area, like I saw Starbucks in Seattle...EVERY WHERE.
PROPERTY Taxes are higher, but the general cost of living is a LOT lower than California. You aren't paying any income tax, but you are paying 2% higher percentage for property taxes.

Here in Texas, you can actually have a life. In California, in the last 10 years, it had gotten unbearable for us. For me, (being from Sacramento) Keller is no more flat that Sacramento. The only difference for me is that I don't see foothills or the Sierra Nevadas in the distance on a clear day.

And there are a TON of palm trees. You just have to plant them. There are hibicuses that look like plates that are just beautiful now.

I am home and loving it here in Texas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2007, 01:37 AM
 
739 posts, read 2,694,891 times
Reputation: 308
Guingirl,

A Northern central valley girl I know what you mean about being flat and seeing the mountains. Since my companies are internet based, I can them wherever I want. Anyways, I tell Jill we can travel more if we live in Texas- that may have been enough to get her excited
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top