U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 08:11 AM

1,920 posts, read 2,172,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guingirl View Post
PROPERTY Taxes are higher, but the general cost of living is a LOT lower than California. You aren't paying any income tax, but you are paying 2% higher percentage for property taxes.

Here in Texas, you can actually have a life. In California, in the last 10 years, it had gotten unbearable for us. For me, (being from Sacramento) Keller is no more flat that Sacramento. The only difference for me is that I don't see foothills or the Sierra Nevadas in the distance on a clear day.

And there are a TON of palm trees. You just have to plant them. There are hibicuses that look like plates that are just beautiful now.

I am home and loving it here in Texas!
Yeah Sac town is flat...not much in the way of mountains, and HOT. Very texas like. I don't blame you for loving texas. Everything you said is absolutly correct. I was however talking about SD. Sac town....well, I really cant tell ANY advantage to living there. I have to tell you though, its one place I have visited, but one of of the few places I have not lived, mainely because of the reasons you mentioned. Im sure the Sac town folks can chime in on why Im crazy for not wanting to move there. Redding of Northern Cali is however would be very desireable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2007, 09:04 AM

1,379 posts, read 5,816,019 times
Well...I wouldn't quite be that harsh about Sacramento. Visiting and living there are quite different.

San Diego is VERY expensive. I have a few family members that live there. They say that is the price to live in Paradise. Me...I would rather pay the money to live in Maui, but that is just me. I guess everyone has a different idea of paradise.

Old 06-01-2007, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guingirl View Post
Well...I wouldn't quite be that harsh about Sacramento. Visiting and living there are quite different.

San Diego is VERY expensive. I have a few family members that live there. They say that is the price to live in Paradise. Me...I would rather pay the money to live in Maui, but that is just me. I guess everyone has a different idea of paradise.
Huntington beach for me, if I had the money. Don't think I was too harsh on Sac town. It is hot there, it is flat there, it takes a lot of crap for not being LA or San Francisco. It is expensive. Ive looked at Remax.com, Homes are very expensive. Just facts. As I said, Ive never lived there. If you live there, you probably feel warm and fuzzy about it. It has a river that whales love to get lost in

Old 06-01-2007, 02:27 PM

739 posts, read 2,697,415 times
My fiancee lived in Dana Point her whole life then moved to SD for college. Dana Point is beautiful! I love that town. Her grand parents condo, a few miles from the beach with a very slight ocean view, is worth of $700,000. Wow, no thanks!

Old 06-01-2007, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaxs View Post
My fiancee lived in Dana Point her whole life then moved to SD for college. Dana Point is beautiful! I love that town. Her grand parents condo, a few miles from the beach with a very slight ocean view, is worth of $700,000. Wow, no thanks!
My sister owns a Condo for sale on the beach off the beach with no view for 800,000, she isnt even going to bother fixing it up. She has to move to Houston for her husbands job. She used to live there. She is dreading it. However with the equity she built up she can buy 3 houses in houston.

Old 06-01-2007, 04:17 PM

2,159 posts, read 6,298,074 times
Back on topic please.

Old 07-09-2007, 12:34 PM

4 posts, read 11,560 times
Figured I'd get more response out of an existing thread!

Hello, I'm moving from Pittsburgh to Dallas/Ft Worth in 2 months and am looking for a good place to live. So far, I have keyed in on Keller, and I'd like to get some input. The taxes site that has been referenced is great, so I have that covered - can anyone offer insight into typical utility costs for a 1,800 - 2,000 SF house in the area? I'm most worried about the electric and gas, and I don't mind keeping the house at 78 or 79 if it means I won't be shelling out $150/month to the power company!

We're looking at houses in the 125-150 range. Is it even possible to find a house less than 15 years old in the range we're looking, in Keller, that's in a nice area? As much as I hate to admit how "snobby" I really am, I would like to live in an area that's upper-middle-class without a lot of apartments or lower income housing around.

Also, my job will be in a business park that's directly across the highway from Six Flags - how long will the commute generally be from Keller? I don't know if it helps, but it seems that most of the houses we've liked online are in the 76248 zip code.

Lastly, being from Pittsburgh, I'm used to low population density and long drives to do anything. I've heard that the "west" is much more compact. I consider less than a 20 minute drive to the nearest nice grocery store or major shopping area "close" - will I be blown away at how "close" things are?

Old 07-09-2007, 01:12 PM

9 posts, read 38,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by basst82 View Post
can anyone offer insight into typical utility costs for a 1,800 - 2,000 SF house in the area? I'm most worried about the electric and gas, and I don't mind keeping the house at 78 or 79 if it means I won't be shelling out $150/month to the power company!

We're looking at houses in the 125-150 range. Is it even possible to find a house less than 15 years old in the range we're looking, in Keller, that's in a nice area? As much as I hate to admit how "snobby" I really am, I would like to live in an area that's upper-middle-class without a lot of apartments or lower income housing around.

Also, my job will be in a business park that's directly across the highway from Six Flags - how long will the commute generally be from Keller? I don't know if it helps, but it seems that most of the houses we've liked online are in the 76248 zip code.
Regarding utility bills - to give you a point of reference, our house is 2300 sq ft and I try to keep the thermostat around 77*. Our typical electric bill in the summer is ~$220. If you want a cooler inside temperature then it can be higher. Our highest electric bill has been $350 - I was setting the thermostat at 72* that summer, as my wife was pregnant and her comfort was very important. Now - there are ways to counter that i.e. installing a radiant barrier, installing R-49 attic insulation, or getting a higher SEER AC unit, or planting some trees for some shades etc.

You should be able to find houses in the 125-150 range and they'll be in OK neighborhoods i.e. they wont be upscale or whatever but they will be quite reasonably nice. So no worries there.

Getting to Six flags area in Arlington from Keller, in rush hour, should take about an hour each side in my estimation.

Good luck !

Old 07-09-2007, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamgolf View Post
Regarding utility bills - to give you a point of reference, our house is 2300 sq ft and I try to keep the thermostat around 77*. Our typical electric bill in the summer is ~$220. If you want a cooler inside temperature then it can be higher. Our highest electric bill has been $350 - I was setting the thermostat at 72* that summer, as my wife was pregnant and her comfort was very important. Now - there are ways to counter that i.e. installing a radiant barrier, installing R-49 attic insulation, or getting a higher SEER AC unit, or planting some trees for some shades etc.

You should be able to find houses in the 125-150 range and they'll be in OK neighborhoods i.e. they wont be upscale or whatever but they will be quite reasonably nice. So no worries there.

Getting to Six flags area in Arlington from Keller, in rush hour, should take about an hour each side in my estimation.

Good luck !
tens of square miles upon tens of square miles of nothing but cookie cutter master plan communities. Ever third house looks the same. everythings soooooo flat. Flooding is bad, schools can't be built fast enough. 3.2 percent tax rate......ouch. Other than that, at least its close to down town fort worth. Lots of water parks in the tens of square miles upon tens of square miles of nothing but cookie cutter master plan communities. Very little in the way of business. They should just name the place Urban Sprallvill.

Old 07-09-2007, 09:44 PM

4 posts, read 11,560 times
So basically Texas power bills = PA gas bills. I can handle that. I assume that the utility companies let you "budget" your bills through the year if you choose so you don't get hit so hard in the summer? I'm one of those Northeast liberal-progressives you hear about on TV who are all about the environment, so a few more trees or some Energy Star insulation is right up my alley hehe ...

When you say 3.2 tax rate, I'm guessing that means $3.20 / $100 assessed value? I think that's what I've seen on the real estate sites. Honestly, that's not that bad. Considering you guys don't have state or local tax, that's no different (or less!) than most places around Pittsburgh!

Well being an engineer/planner myself, living in a Master Planned community is something I'm definitely interested in trying out. I've also found some places I like in North Richland Hills, that seems to be much closer to my soon-to-be office. I've actually found 3 places in a large community southeast of the intersection of I-820 and W Hurst Blvd. I can't tell much from aerial photos - is this a decent area? Are there grocery stores, gas stations and the like nearby? Or is it kind of remote?

I keep seeing something about a Master Planned community called Heritage, can someone give me a street name or something in that area so I can look up home prices in that community?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth