U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 07:26 AM

14,874 posts, read 36,248,249 times

Advertisements

There is also a Shady Oaks BBQ in Plano on 75-Central. They have great Sweet Tea, one of the few places in the DFW that does have it. Even though some people consider us "The South" we can not get sweet tea at most places . You should see the waiters whenever we take my MIL out to eat and she orders tea and says "UNSWEET". LOL!!! She is from the deeper South. Anyway, Shady Oaks is pretty good. As for Cheddar's, I sure would not rate it the same as Denny's, ewwww. LOL!! There was no maple syrup stuck to everything .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2007, 08:09 AM

5,412 posts, read 14,044,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
No, Cheddar's is a sit down restaurant. I'd put it a notch or two above Chili's. They have a better class of food and the atmosphere is nicer. Their honey butter croisants are AWESOME! Hubby likes their salads and so far all their full meals he has tried (a meat and two sides). I like their soups and their Chambord Margarita is good too. I'm just thrilled that one opened up right by us finally but they are always packed.
I"ll check out Cheddar's one day. Perhaps the next time my friends want to head out to eat. I'll check the Web to see if there's a closer location than the one on Rt. 183 toward the airport. (I live and work on the west side of FW.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guingirl View Post
Its a sit down, but I must have been there on an off night because I thought it was sort of like Denny's -ish. Meaning that they serve you at the table but really inexpensive. The food was good, it just wasn't a night on the town type of place.

Yes, Shady Oaks is in the center with Chili's, Macaroni Grill. Its off of Western Center on 35W, so basically behind the Acura Dealership. I have only had their brisket and ribs (their beans are really yummy too), but it was more about the atmosphere on the weekend evenings that we enjoyed the music.

My sister is coming in this week from CA so we are taking her to all these places.
I see all those restaurants whenever I got to the Acura dealership and need to get back on Loop 820 W (which annoyingly requires one to go up on Rt. 35W and then make a U-turn). But I haven't eaten there yet. I asked my brother if he wanted to check out a movie and eat there, but he declined. Have fun showing your sister around. I had fun showing my siblings the area this past weekend and will update my "things to do" thread when I get a chance.

Old 05-23-2007, 04:14 PM

3 posts, read 14,302 times
Default Where to eat......

Quote:
Originally Posted by damiana9 View Post
We are coming out this week for our official house hunting trip We will be staying in west FW and I was wondering what places we should hit to eat. DH's company will be paying as long as it is somewhat reasonable, so we can splurge on something more than just fast food. I was thinking of Indian one night. Any good Indian places? And while we love mexican, we eat it alot and I think I would rather find other types of food to eat for this trip anyway. Suggestions anyone? We will be looking at houses anywhere from Joshua to Weatherford so anywhere in the SW area of FW will be great!
First of all find some time ,either lunch or supper, to eat at Spring Creek Bar-b-cue. There is one on Hwy 80 (on the west side) at Cherry Lane. The have everyone beat...even the famous BBQ places that have been here for ever.

Want a great steak at a resonable price, try the Saltgrass Steak House on SW Loop 820 (west side) just east of Bryant Irvin Rd (close to the Outback).

Want the best steak regardless of what the price is and the service to go with it? Try the Silver Fox on University. Check on reservations first. That is the top steak house in town (except for the Petroleum Club which is a private club)

Indian did you say? In Cowtown? Probably not too many in town.

Mexican......My favorite is El Fenix on Camp Bowie in the Ridgela area which is old momey on the west side.

Food and Beverage is my life so I could go on all night. Let me know if this helps.

Old 05-23-2007, 08:16 PM

My coworkers told me that Hoffbrau Steaks on University Dr. is a great steakhouse. But since I'm not a beef guy, I don't really have a burning desire to go there.

Old 05-25-2007, 04:29 PM

27,466 posts, read 44,959,956 times
Don't think spring creek is sine qua non of bbq---and I eat at one in Bedford a lot--their rolls are excellent--but meat tasts steamed a lot of time--ribs are ok --have lot of dry rub on them - DH liked the fact you can get green beans as one of the veggies so we do go there about once a week...

Silver Fox in Grapevine is also good for steak--as is JR's off 114 ---but for the price think Mac's has prime rib and steak for money--consistent--cooked to order--tender...Tea --while not sweet tea is usually pretty good...fresh bread is wonderful--

You can get sweet tea at Crackerbarrel I think...and couple of other places...we usually use Splenda since DH is diabetic...

True-- Cheddar's is not fancy place == lots of families eat there--but price/quality makes it hard to beat--think you get generous portions for reasonable price---quality of their tea can vary though...

Old 05-25-2007, 04:34 PM

Beowulf7--you passed the Mexican Inn--was long time restaurant in sundance sq until they lost lease on bldg--have a couple of outlying sites like one in Bedford they opened a couple of years ago--their novelty items are having fresh chips like Fritos--not like regular chips for sauce--and they do the fried ice cream dessert which is not too common...

the Central exit you took to get to Cheddar's is the one for Lupe's -- it is one the east bound side of freeway--in shopping center just at the corner--great food--made fresh...

Old 05-25-2007, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Beowulf7--you passed the Mexican Inn--was long time restaurant in sundance sq until they lost lease on bldg--have a couple of outlying sites like one in Bedford they opened a couple of years ago--their novelty items are having fresh chips like Fritos--not like regular chips for sauce--and they do the fried ice cream dessert which is not too common...

the Central exit you took to get to Cheddar's is the one for Lupe's -- it is one the east bound side of freeway--in shopping center just at the corner--great food--made fresh...
Yes, you know exactly the area I was at. Ahh, too bad Mexican Inn lost the lease in Sundance Square. I know there are at least 2 Mexican restaurants there - Mi Cocina and Cabo Grande - and both of them are pretty good.

Cool, I'll check out Cheddar's and Lupe's the next 2 times I'm in that area.

Old 06-10-2007, 08:41 PM

After going to the FW Zoo today, we wanted to eat at the Sprial Diner & Bakery on Magnolia Ave. (near 6th St.). However, by the time we got there (7 p.m.), they were closed. They close early on Sun. - at 5:30 p.m. That sucked. So we ate dinner at Cotton Patch Cafe in Lake Worth.

Yesterday, we ate dinner at Shady Oaks BBQ & Grill on I-35W N. near the UA Fossil Creek Stadium 11 movie theater. The food was pretty decent, but service was really slow. : \

Old 06-12-2007, 04:50 PM

OP---how did your trip go--what did you decided???

Old 06-13-2007, 06:48 AM

49 posts, read 228,720 times
I updated back on page 3 We had a fabulous trip and really enjoyed the food and the sights. I am glad to see this thread is still going strong. We will be moving to TX the first week of July- and I will be checking out all the food places listed here that we weren't able to do on our visit!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or