Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 07:12 AM

49 posts, read 251,681 times

Advertisements

My husband is trying to get a job at the power plant at Commanche Peak, and we are looking at the best places to live. We are in Virginia so we can't just make a quick run down there to see what it's like. We love the prices on property and I suppose that is what drew us to the area. We have 2 kids so we are interested in good school districts, we would love to have at least 1/3 acre of land but we don't want to live in the boonies. Basically we are figuring on a slightly less than 1 hr. commute for my husband to get to work (I have to be close to civilization!) So we have been looking south of I20 and west of I35W (Weatherford, Crowley, Burleson, Benbrook, Cleburne, etc)
So can anyone tell me places that are better/worse?
Anyone know of new home builders with communites with plots of about 1/2 acre-2 acres? We are figuring we will probably buy an older house because it is hard to find new const. with land- we don't mind that either.
We are fairly liberal and democrats- will it be really difficult for us to fit in? I know this area is extremely religious.
I know there are more questions but I can't think of any right now. Please just share any info you have!

Oh- we did find some information on Burleson schools and they seem like they are very good (at least on paper) anyone have any experiences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2007, 08:21 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,917,160 times
No, if you're liberal or democrat, you need to stay away; we don't want you here.

Just Joking! Well, sort of. It seems like we get these questions about every other day from someone who is liberal and think they are going to be hung from the nearest tree if they move in to an area that is deemed somewhat conservative. It ain't so damiana9!

I'm pretty conservative and some of my best friends are liberal. Conservative doesn't identify WHO I AM, and I don't let that rule over any choices for locations to live or who I call my friends. My good friend, who is liberal, is always making the statement, "Man, I would never live there, the newspaper is way too conservative." I laugh at him and tell him that it's ridiculous to let such a thing dictate his life.

It does bother me quite a bit that the prevalent attitude among people with a liberal slant when seeking a location is whether or not they will be accepted. Of course you'll be accepted, but if you come into an area with an attitude and wear your heart on your sleeve you may have a problem. People's views are their right, and they should never be picked on because they view things differently from the majority of those in a given area. But again, if you stand around with protest signs all day and have signs in your yard, you'll probably cause alot of attention to be drawn your way - regardless of which side you are on.

As far as land and house opportunities, I'm sure you'll find a plethora of them; it's a buyer's market right now and you can pick and choose. I would suggest calling a realtor in the area for actual properties. There are several websites online that you can view properties and get a good idea of how a home and the surrounding property look, even the demographics and schools before you narrow your search.

And please don't worry about us conservatives. We're really not that bad once you get to know us...

Old 03-05-2007, 09:27 AM

Thanks for sharing your view. I guess I should explain where my fears come from- Originally we knew it was in the bible belt. No big deal really- there are alot of southern baptists where we live now. Before that I lived in Idaho with mormons. I am used to being 'on the outside' but we also figured that even though religion runs strong out there, maybe we would be close enough to the big city that it would be a bit more diverse. My father in law lives in Oklahoma. He belongs to some wacky religion and while he is a very kind man, the ONLY think he is capable of talking about is god. He has already found lots of good churches for us out there, and I guess that just got us nervous that people really would be knocking down our door and dragging us to church (father in law is truly like this) But I do know that most people (regardless of beliefs) are normal and not necessarily pushy. I don't intend to start trouble with the churchgoers- I just prefer a to each their own mentality, and prefer other people that give me the same respect.

Really what I want to know more about is the area itself- any information anyone can share on the area southwest of Ft worth? Are these areas more like suburbs to Ft. Worth and just king of blur together, or are they seperate small towns? I don't know if that even makes sense so if it doesn't just ignore it! LOL! I have heard from adults that have gone to school in that general area that when they went to school they schools were not that great but I know that can change 100% in 10 years, much less 20.
It seems like the Ft. Worth area has alot to offer for my kids- I am so excited about that! And I am also excited about the shopping opportunities I will have there!

Old 03-05-2007, 09:42 AM

Damiana,
Don't judge an entire area by one person. I'm from Oklahoma and although they are in the bible belt as well, I've never been approached or nobody has attempted to force their religion down my throat. That goes for Texas too. Family members are another matter. If you have to deal with them and their particular behavior, that's just a fact of life.
Regarding the area, Weatherford is not a suburb of Ft. Worth, it's far enough out to have its own identity. Burleson and Crowley are becoming "assimilated" into the FW area and therefore the line is somewhat blurred. The schools are pretty good if you check out a given area. I live in the mid-cities and the schools range from so-so to exemplary (top rating), so I can't comment on the schools in those areas. As far as shopping, there is tons of that! Good luck on your move! I hope I didn't put you off by my response, it was all well-intended.

Old 03-05-2007, 10:14 AM

Not judging the area at all- merely asking questions based on a feeling we got from a family member. That is why I am glad there are message boards with all sorts of different people- love being able to get a different take!
That was the feeling I had with Weatherford as well- know anything abou it? based on their website and houses I have seen in that erea it didn't really seem to wow me- not alot of character, but my dh thought it seemed nice.

Old 03-05-2007, 10:39 AM

To be honest, I don't know a lot about Weatherford. Some like it a great deal, but I've only visited there one time in the 18 years that I've lived here.

The one thing I do know about the area is that the terrain starts to change pretty drastically once you get West of Fort Worth.

DFW is kind of an area where East meets West in terms of geography, with places to the East of Dallas being much greener than places to the West of Fort Worth.

Old 03-05-2007, 10:50 AM

That will definately be difficult to get used to. Is it more desert like?

Old 03-06-2007, 10:20 AM

3,494 posts, read 14,379,719 times
no no..it sure aint anywhere near desert like in Parker County-Weatherford. it's pretty dern green except in the winter when its brown.
its all rich cuttin horse folks or rich urban professionals from Ft Worth who wanna play rancher

Old 03-06-2007, 12:06 PM

ah- so lots of ranches and whatnot. Isn't that what the whole southwest area of Ft. Worth is like though? Or is it more suburban in those areas?

Old 03-08-2007, 07:16 AM

Okay- I think I am very interested in the Burleson area but I do think it would be quite a drive for my DH to get to work. Anyone know information about Joshua or Cleburne? Is that more out in the sticks? What about their schools?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth