U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 08:09 PM

1 posts, read 3,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
anyone have any advice on how to handle your insurance and a hail claim...we live in neighborhood where many homes are having roofs done due to hail damage....we have had two roofing companies we called come by and tell us we have a totaled roof....these are companies that have been in business locally for many years...
we have state farm ins and have never filed for hail damage before...claim adjuster is going to come out and look at roof--he says he does not need roofer rep there....both guys said they would like to be there when the inspection is done....

any insights....
You are absolutely correct in getting local professional roofers to look at your damage. It is extremely likely the insurance adjuster hired by your insurance company to look at your roof for the insurance company is either very lightly experienced if experienced at all. Often times they weill tell you they were a contractor in the past. If and when you hear that you can virtually rest assured the left one word out of the contractor part, failed contractor. Bare in mind the insurance company hires independent adjusters under contract to companies supplying the adjusters to them to do the vast majority of their hail claims. Keeping in mind, who pays the adjusters bill, not you!!!!!!! Make certain you look over the entirety of your home, not just the roof. Often times the adjuster looking at your claim for the insurance company may be going so fast (they have to) that they fail to look at anything except the roof. Make sure you look at every ceiling in your home for water leaks, if the storm was violent, you may even have cracks in your drywall joints (sheetrock). If their is damage cause by these items make sure you make them aware of it and they so note it. If you home is sided with anything other than brick, look carefully at the siding, (vinyl or metal) for dents and cracks, if gutter inspect them for dents in the guttering. Pay close attention to the window beades (the vinyl strips that hold the windows in place) often times this is broken. If you home has window screens inspect them too. Anything in the lawn, look at for dents. that may sound silly but consider when you bought the item from the store would you have accepted it damaged, no, then why should you now. If it is damaged the insurance company needs to live up to their contract. As for having your roofer present at the time of the inspection you certainly should. the adjuster will tell you they don't need them there, the adjuster is right, the adjuster does not, but you sure do. So when making the appointment with you adjuster make sure you can have your roofer there at the appointed time for the inspection. Make sure you are there too and make sure you show them all the damage you have seen and point it out to the adjuster. Pay careful attention to what pictures the adjuster takes, what damages they note etc and particular attention to any conversations you have with them. Write down evertything that happens between you and your insurance company from, literally, as soon as you turned in the claim to the final conclusion. In other words keep a time line of when what happens and when it happens. There are certain guide lines within the policy which requires certain actions by the insurance company within specified times. There are, also, laws such as the fair claims practice act which may come into play, so keep your notes and keep them accurately. I was an adjuster for insurance companies for over 20 years and a public adjuster for over the last 10. Hope this helps you somewhat, wayne clamp [EMAIL="wclamp@aol.com"]wclamp@aol.com[/EMAIL]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 09:28 PM

95 posts, read 221,769 times
One piece of advice if you have to have the roof replaced, wait until July/August when it's really hot to help the shingles heat up properly to lay flat.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:47 PM

3 posts, read 17,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mckellyb View Post
Oh, they'll sell you a no-deductible, or low-deductible plan, but it's going to cost plenty.

Don't get me wrong, insurance companies are in the business to make money, like any other business. I'm just surprised they not only became this clever, but that the spineless state insurance board went along with it.
yes sir it will and the sad thing is acv policies and under insured are becoming more and more popular

Old 05-25-2011, 11:49 PM

3 posts, read 17,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafetyGuy View Post
One piece of advice if you have to have the roof replaced, wait until July/August when it's really hot to help the shingles heat up properly to lay flat.
um no i hope thats a joke

Old 08-29-2011, 05:20 PM

1 posts, read 3,360 times
Well let's look at it this way. The insurance company really don't want the roofer there because he's going to try and get buy as cheap as possible. With the roofer there pin pointing every bit of damage the adjuster isn't going to get buy cheap. The question is do you want a new roof or not?

Old 06-20-2012, 05:24 PM

1 posts, read 2,898 times
Better for the home owner to do there own assessment with the Insurance then have the roofers bid for your roof. Roof companies want to get the most out of Insurance and they get to keep everything they can and you the homeowner get only a roof and that is it. Roofers keep the rest.

Old 09-12-2012, 10:20 PM

1 posts, read 2,706 times
I had my roof inspected by an adjuster through my insurance company. I was told their was only minimal damage and it was only to the roof vents. I requested a second inspection by the insurance adjustor and this time having my roof contractor present. I received a letter stating that my claim was reviewed for potential reinspection. They stated that sufficient photos were reviewed and that they respectfully decline my request for a physical reinspection. I was told that if I feel that their assessment is incorrect that I have the option to hire a licensed professional structural engineer for an assessment. The engineer would have to forward a copy of their detailed report and photos of the reported hail damages. They would then review the info and decide to inspect the roof or hire their own engineer. Am I entitled to a re-inspection? In The letter he also stated that he was trained and certified to identify storm damages to composition shingles.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 12-19-2013 at 07:52 AM.. Reason: Removed company names

Old 01-18-2013, 08:03 PM

1 posts, read 2,590 times
I worked at Home Depot at the Pro Desk for 5 years. Prior to that I did multifamily (Apartments, Condos, etc) replacing roofs.

I recently went to work assisting home owners with Roof damage claims. I have successfully processed namy roof claims and NEVER have a problem. I always like to meet the Insurance adjuster for the inspection and always have a good conversation with them, get on the roof with them and ask them to teach me if they see something. I keep my mouth shut, be respectfull and let them do thier job.

I inspect a roof and either you have OBVIOUS damage or you do not. I am NOT going to embarrass myself or waste an adjusters time by having them come out and NOT having a good claim simply because if that happens then that ruins the integrity with me and my customer.

I had a State Farm adjuster show up in Garland, TX and jumped on the roof with him and he said where are you seeing hail damage? I started pointing out the hits. He made excuses for everyone of them. I didn't say anything but let him continue. He started saying things like, some people get up here and make marks with hammers, this turbin ding looks like someone shot it with a bb gun and this is foot traffic. I'm not going to waste anymore of your time. I'll make my report in case there is a reinspection and I will put in there that you think this is hail damage. Thats good because there will be a reinspection and make sure you put I said it was hail damage because it is.
I take that personal first of all and had to explain the incompetance of the adjuster to my customer. I took pictures of the roof and stopped after 24 different hits to show homeowner (he is 71, too old to get up there) because I was tired of snapping pictures

Here is the problem I have if you are an adjuster and you do business like that.

1) It's NOT your money, it is the premium of the homeowner that they pay each month.

2) You don't buy insurance to wreck your car but if you need it that is what it is for. Basically there has been a car wreck (hail or wind damage) on your roof, take care of it.

3) And thirdly, You the insurance company or you the adjuster ARE NOT on the homeowners side or you would have knocked on your policy holders door and said "hey there was storm in your area and we would like assist you and make sure you are taken care of since we ask you to pay each month".
Hell no you won't. You had rather the time pass so you don't have to pay the claim and you get pissed when an honest, christian, competent and knowledgable contractor makes you get up there and be RESPONSIBLE for your customer, how sad is that?

You don't have a problem asking for the payment each month so when it is time for you to pay the insured back you want to have a problem with that. How would you feel if the customer said I don't think I will pay this month because we had good weather?

CHECK YOURSELF and make sure you have your ducks in a row or get a different career.

So if you are a contractor, make sure your heart is in the right place, you have sufficient evidence to have the adjuster come out and be nice to an adjuster until it is time to not be nice.
Don't be afraid to call for a reinspection, it is the best way to handle and ass like I just decribed. Good luck and do the right thing.

Shawn Messick

Old 03-25-2013, 01:36 PM

1 posts, read 2,491 times
I have hail damage to my roof and gutters. I have had two different roofing companies come out and look at my roof after I personally saw the dings inside my gutters and my nieghbors gutter. Niether company has given me a quote yet though? And the first one didnt ask to be at the appointment with the adjuster but the second one did ? Im not sure if this is a good idea or not since my deductible is 1500 and I would like enough money left over to help with that if not pay it all . Should I have the roofer meet with the adjuster or not ? He also asked if he could put a sign in my yard ? ABut I havnt signed anything they both found significant damage I got on roof with the second roofer so he could show me what they were talking about niether of them took pics though ? HELP need advice

Old 03-25-2013, 03:24 PM

9,505 posts, read 19,515,952 times
First, have you even called your insurance company yet? That should have been your first step. Of course the roofers will say the roof needs to be replaced, but your insurance company may say otherwise. You are probably going to need at least some $ as the insurance payment will likely not cover the full replacement cost.

Second, it's just late March. There are likely to be several more storms this spring which may cause additional damage to your roof. NEVER replace your roof early in storm season! North Texas will continue to get storms through at least mid-May.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or