Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2009, 07:48 AM

1 posts, read 2,351 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to the area in May 2010 and looking at houses in Keller. We are looking to spend 150 - 180 and would like a newer home (3 beds and a study).

We are looking at Villages of Woodland Springs but I'm a bit worried about the commute. I'll be working for American Airlines (located just south of DFW airport). Anyone know what the commute would be like? Unfortunately, I would be commuting during the worst times (8 am and 6 pm). Sounds like from other forum threads that going through Grapevine can be a pain.

Any other comments about VOWS?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 10:17 AM

4,207 posts, read 15,216,010 times
That is truely peak time but I would think it would take about 45 minutes. Another area totally opposite Keller I may suggest is Mansfield. It is right off 360 and you can get a brand new home there in your price range.

Naima

Old 12-16-2009, 07:52 PM

3 posts, read 8,426 times
It is not a bad commute at all - about 40-45 minutes. I made almost that same commute for the past 7 years.

I don't live in VOWS, but am nearby - something to know is that VOWS is in City of Fort Worth and not Keller - which means higher property taxes.

Last edited by jfond; 12-16-2009 at 07:54 PM.. Reason: Additional Info

Old 12-17-2009, 05:04 AM

11,819 posts, read 26,732,998 times
Call me weird, but I think a 45-minute commute where you are sitting in traffic the whole time is awful. Half of the people in my neighborhood work for AA, and we bought our house from an AA employee. Our neighborhood in Grapevine is about 20 years old and we don't even have to get on the highway to get to DFW. (We just cut through on Airfield Drive.)

Flower Mound also has the newer homes you are seeking. You could go straight down through the airport and be there a lot quicker. Also check out Coppell.

Old 12-17-2009, 08:04 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,626,799 times
Coppell won't have homes in that price range from what I have seen--at least not new ones

Grapevine probably won't either
there is area in North Euless with new construction--know mechanic for AA who bought house there recently--but not sure about price

you can use 114 and come through the airport north entrance but with construction anticipated fairly soon in that area the drive/commute is only going to get worse

lots of people come across on Golden Triangle which turns into North Tarrant I think--but there are some stretches there which are only two lane and have stop signs and school zones--it is crowded

think about taking an older home closer to work
North Richland Hills might have some homes to check out as well as Hurst/Bedford

Old 12-18-2009, 03:03 AM

73 posts, read 270,578 times
You might want to look for a small section of Euless in the Grapevine ISD east of 121, north of 183, and west of 360. There are a few houses there that meet your criteria, and you will have a good school district. If you get lucky, you can find a fixer in the actual city of Grapevine just north of that for a little bit more, and your taxes will be lower. From either, you can simply jump on 360 south and you will be there in just a few min.

Old 12-18-2009, 04:00 AM

394 posts, read 1,253,189 times
If there is little flexibility in your price range, you must consider an older home in the H-E-B area. The drive to/from Mansfield is the PITS. If you are dead set on newer construction (I know that I was), then you will have to move to an area like Mansfield that has newer homes in that price range or consider living in Grand Prairie - which would be a LOVELY commute to AA HQ - just east of 360 on the Tarrant County side. There are new homes in that price range there. The trade-off will be schools that aren't highly regarded.

Consider seeing how long AA is willing to put you up in corporate housing so that you and your family can get a "look see" for yourselves.

For the price, the school district bang for the buck would be H-E-B, but you will not find a new construction home for that price here.

One last point: There are lovely neighborhoods in N. Arlington off of Green Oaks and north of Lamar Blvd that have older homes in your price range. The same caveats that apply to Grand Prairie apply to Arlington, BUT the communities really are nice, though the schools are weakened by the large number of apartment dwellers in and around the area. There, I said it. N. Arlington is a tremendous alternative from a commuting perspective.

-OMS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth