U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 04:06 PM
Osi Osi started this thread

Location: Kansas... for now. But Texas is home, and I'm ready to come home.
7 posts, read 24,959 times

Advertisements

My fiancee' and I will be in the Metroplex the first week of July to look around. I expect to transfer to Grapevine sometime in the next 3-6 months. I would rather find a home in a smaller community, but within a reasonable commute to my work in Grapevine. I've thought about something along the 114 corridor in SW Denton County/SE Wise County. I know the traffic on 114 is probably bad at times, but I'm commuting an hour and 5 minutes each way now. If I can half that, I would be really excited. Anyone have thoughts about the Roanoke/Justin/Rhome area? I suspect the Texas Motor Speedway would be a headache on race days, but that wouldn't really affect ordinary Monday through Friday commutes, would it? Any other smaller communities in the area that we should see when we visit? We're probably looking for something relatively modest, by the way... maybe in the $130K range. No kids, and there won't be any, either, so schools aren't really a concern (not a first marriage for either of us... all of our kids are already grown). No need for a big yard, but we would need a fence for a couple of medium/small dogs. I think we both like the idea of a new home, and I've seen some in our range but am not familiar with the builders and their quality of work. Any comments or suggestions would be really appreciated. I have a lot of family in the Greater DFW area but none that are really familiar with the locality in question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2007, 07:10 PM

1,379 posts, read 5,811,166 times
Default Welcome

And Congratulations!!

You might try Chadwick Farms up off of 114 that is east of the TMS. TMS gets really busy twice a year, not sure you want to preclude the area traffic for a couple of days out of the year. That is technically Roanoke. Drees and DR Horton are building in there along with another builder. Very easy to hope on 114 down to Grapevine and it will be pretty convenient as there is a new mall going in at 170 and 114 and 377. There is a pretty convenient grocery store there as well. Justin and Rhome is going to be a little more rural but that may be just what you want too .

Good luck to you and again Congratulations!!

Old 05-21-2007, 08:15 AM

27,447 posts, read 44,934,740 times
TMS is factor on race weeks but there are other reasons for 114 to get busy

you did not mention commute for fiancee--is that a factor?

if you want a small yard does that mean you would consider townhome/villa/condo type of residence?

Do you want more rural location instead of large subdivision layout--Chadwick Farms is pretty big subdivision...even if it is on edge of FTW/Keller area/Haslet

I did quick MLS search for properties built 2000 and newer, SFR, from 120-135000 3 bedrooms and got lots of hits--...small lots but you said you just needed enough for two fur babies...
If you took emails, I could email you a good MLS site but if I post it here, they will just erase it for advertising--
do an MLS search and see properties you like that come up---then ask about those locations...
FYI---town of Marshall Creek is currently in sort of bankruptcy--going to probably be absorbed by Roanoke--taxes will probably go up, but services will be better...

You might even consider living on other side of Lake Grapevine--like Flower Mound, Double Oak area...some pretty country there and if you are just going to Grapevine, commute would not be that bad...just only one way over the lake at this time but they are planning to build another road within 5 years or so...

Old 05-21-2007, 12:10 PM

Thanks, Guingirl. I really appreciate the tips. I looked up Chadwick Farms and will likely plan to drop by there in person while in the area to view a model or two. Also, when I looked up Chadwick Farms, I found the link to several other developments in the area. So this proved to be a big help in providing me with numerous other properties and locations to investigate. Of course, there's only so much you can pull off of a real estate website... if you can't personally spend some time in the area it is invaluable to have folks willing to share anecdotal information that typically never gets onto the Internet (at leats not through a commercial website). For example, I had not previously heard anything about that new mall in Roanoke. Thanks, again.
-Osi-

Old 05-21-2007, 12:33 PM

Hi Osi -

There are other master planned communities in the area however, the reason that I thought of Chadwick is it is so easy to hop on 114 there. You might also look at parts of Villages of Woodland Springs closer to 170 as 170 turns into 114 at Trophy Club. There are some newer homes that are being built in there. You just have to becareful with VoWS as it is sort of spread out and some parts are closer to 377 and the trains that run parallel to 377.

Traffic also has a tendency to be pretty clogged on 377 at times. VoWS also has new construction within your price as well. I haven't seen too much new construction in Grapevine or around the area, that is why we moved out this way (we are building out in Haslet).

There is a lot of building on the east and north of Dallas (Frisco, Plano, Allen, Melissa) but I am not sure what the commute would be from out there.

There is a real good group of people here with a lot of great information that I have found to be really helpful when I was doing my research to move out here.

Old 05-21-2007, 12:35 PM

Hi Loves,

I wondered about how busy 114 is typically. When I Mapquested from the TMS area to my future worksite in Grapevine, it projected a travel time of about 15 minutes which I can certainly live with. Of course, that doesn't factor in special circumstances (construction, weather, etc.).

Good questions, by the way. Yes, my intended will be working but since this is not a transfer for her, we have absolutely no idea which way her commute will take her. That being the case, I don't really know of a way to prepare for that situation except to try to position us near an intersection of major highways (such as 114 and 35W) so that she can easily travel in any direction.

I've done the condo/townhouse thing before and honestly wasn't very happy with it. There doesn't have to be a huge space between houses, but call me old-fashioned -- I still like the idea that the neighbors don't hear the toilet flush. Figuratively speaking, of course. Besides, while we may not need a huge yard, my beagle does love to run. My fiancee' has a Westie and he's more of an inside pooch. But I would hate to have my little fellow too penned up. I know he's spoiled rotten, but hey... what are you gonna do, huh?

As for as rural vs. suburban, I probably lean more toward the rural than my fiancee'. If I had my druthers, I'd be on a 3 acre lot in the middle of nowhere but that idea has been vetoed already. And in truth, it probably isn't very practical for commuting purposes.

Here's an email addy for you; cherochap@yahoo.com

I would appreciate any help you can provide. And I have thought about something back toward The Colony, but there's another complicating factor. Most of my family is located back to the West and Northwest (Decatur, Paradise, Weatherford, Jacksboro, Mineral Wells... well, you get the idea). Soo-oooo, while I don't exactly want to be in their backyards, it would be nice to not be too far away, either.

Again, thanks for the help. I appreciate all your thoughtful suggestions.
-Osi-

Old 05-21-2007, 12:48 PM

Hi Guingirl,

Thanks for the heads up about VoWS. I'll look into it (with eyes open about the traffic and the trains). I lived in both Plano and Allen a number of years ago. The commute is probably better now than it was then. I worked for the State of Texas back then, and was frequently attending meetings and training sessions in Arlington. That drive from Plano to Arlington was a killer... in my opinion, nearly as bad as "Central Distressway" into downtown Dallas. Still, like I told Loves, I'm reluctant to get too far to the east since I have a lot of family to the west (Wise, Jack, Parker, and Palo Pinto counties). Well, I have a few in Tarrant and Dallas counties, too, but mostly the western edge of the Metroplex. If you don't mind me asking, why did you pick Haslet?
-Osi-

Old 05-21-2007, 05:15 PM

We chose Haslet over Hidden Lakes area in Keller and the Bluff in Heritage simply because I didn't want to raise my blinds to wave at my neighbor, but we have a three year old daughter and I didn't want her to have to hike to play with the neighbor kids either and for the money it was pretty equivalent in prices.

We are hoping to be on an acre and a half in Haslet. You know, you might even try here where my Mom is in Saginaw. It does take me about 30-45 mins to get to Grapevine though here.

Old 05-21-2007, 08:49 PM

I was looking over some listings for Keller, and was amazed by how many developments are going up in that area. Then I Wiki'd Keller and found out that town has been undergoing quite a little population explosion. Yeow! I don't much think I'd care for that kind of growth.

My Dad has mentioned Saginaw a couple of times, but it may be TOO close to his brother. LOL! My retired parents will be moving back to Texas, too. We are considering the purchase of homes in the same community since I am an only child and they are in their mid-70s. Living near to one another will make life easier on everyone as I move into more of a care-taker role.

Have you heard anything about Harriet Creek Ranch (Centex / Fox & Jacobs) on 114 just west of TMS and I-35W? Good/bad? Looks like some of their homes are lower in price for identical floorplans in other areas. Any ideas what's up with that? Too far out? Too close to TMS? Shoddy construction?

We had talked about the ups and downs of being close to TMS in previously posts, and unless it is a constant problem I guess I am somewhat tolerant of minor annoyances. Seems like there's some drawback to any community... railroad tracks, airports, overcrowded roads, you name it. Even when I lived on a gravel road down by the Brazos, we choked on dust everytime a car drove by. I suppose my bigger concern is finding a reputable builder. I can tolerate minor annoyances, but it really irks me when someone tries to cheat me.

-Osi-

Old 05-21-2007, 09:38 PM

Centex/Fox & Jacobs are the same owner. They tend to be on the lower end or more entry level homes.

My Mom's builder is in a little community over here and they are great! This house was built by Cross Timbers. They are a smaller builder, but I can tell you they build a wonderful home. If you want more info, just send me a pm. Don't want it to sound like a commercial .

Out in Chadwick Farms, you will find Drees (which has a good reputation), Kimball Hill (which I think they are pretty good) and a few others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or