U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 10:50 PM

7 posts, read 11,265 times

Advertisements

Oh, my e-mail is crawfordseven@att.blackberry.net
Thanks
Theresa C.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 11:22 AM

60 posts, read 218,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FERGUSONFAM5 View Post
You mention the weather...as I look outside my window and it is 72 degrees outside with sunny blue skies...I know if we leave here we are leaving this wonderful weather. BUT...I think a little variety might be nice...how is the humidity? ...........
We came from the same in SoCA and the variety is nice, mostly.

The 90-100F+ weeks do get tiring but A/C in house, car and work means you are not exposed to it much.
Winter is cold, been 20-40F for a few weeks
No tornado touch downs in our neighborhood yet so that is nice.
Thunderstorms can be a little scary for small kids as we get a lot but you get used to them and adjust your lifestyle accordingly (dont leave stuff outside etc to blow around)

Check Weather.com for more details - 76102 Weather Forecast and Conditions

Old 01-16-2010, 12:30 PM

21 posts, read 42,767 times
We live in Southlake. Hubby & I were born & raised in NorCal & SoCal, respectively, and then lived 20+ years in NorCal before moving to TX. We love it here, and feel it's a great environment for our kids (now 13 & 16 yrs old).

I drive by homes every day here in S.Lake that have horses/barns on their properties. Some are older/smaller homes and probably more affordable. Bigger, newer ones in this town will end up costing a lot of money.

But, we ARE very close to Grapevine Mills Mall, which is outlet heaven (15 minute drive). Love taking my girls there for $11 jeans from PacSun! Gotta love a deal like that!

Dinner & Movie out? Southlake Town Square can take care of all of that, w/ ease. Theater & restaurants are all located in a nice, outdoor promenade-type mall setting. And it really is in the center of town, probably not more than a 10-minute drive from anywhere in S. Lake.

That being said, I do realize that S. Lake is out of many people's price ranges, especially if you want horse property. But you should look into it, as well as Grapevine, which may be more affordable and is still close to all the things you mentioned you'd like.

Weather: We love the weather here, 9 out of 12 months! After living in CA all our lives, we find it nice to have some variety, change of seasons. We love the raucous thunder & lightning, & even find the ice/snow days off from school fun. Summers, well, we hope to spend some of it away, somewhere cooler, like on a lake in CO or something!

P.S. If your boys love sports, then Southlake/Keller/Colleyville/G.Vine are the places to be. Kids' sports are extremely popular here, and there are many, many teams, from rec to club, for them to choose from.

Good luck!

Old 02-03-2010, 10:30 AM

24 posts, read 63,184 times
Thank you so much MRSMOM1 for the information. I am taking notes of all the places I want to see and we will definately be looking into Southlake and Grapevine. I also appreciate the information on the mall and Southlake Town Square...sounds like some of the places we have here in California.
We have booked our RV and are getting so excited for the trip!! I can't wait to see Texas

Old 02-03-2010, 10:47 AM

2,231 posts, read 3,499,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FERGUSONFAM5 View Post
My husband and oldest son took a father-son vacation this past summer to Texas...visiting Dallas/Ft. Worth, Austin and Abilene. They loved it and so now we are renting an RV, packing up the family and heading out for spring break in March. From what my husband could tell in his short visit he thought we might like it around Ft. Worth...and from what I have been able to find out through the internet...Weatherford seems ideal for us.
We are a family of 5... we have 3 sons. I have 2 horses and would love to have them at home with me so I can wake up every morning with them outside my window. My husband enjoys golf, hiking and would love to start hunting. My boys are into sports of all kinds and just love being outside running around playing in the dirt.
Schools are important to us. Low crime is important. Friendly people would be awesome. We don't go out much...dinner and a movie is perfect. I do have a small ebay business so an outlet mall would be good as long as it is within an hour or so driving distance. My husband will need to find a job...he can sell anything so I'm hoping it won't be hard for him to find some type of job in sales.
We will probably want to rent for at least the first year or more. I would want to rent a home that has horse property...is that possible? Someplace with access to trails for riding and maybe hiking? Small town feel without being too isolated.
If anyone has any input on any places we should make sure to check-out on our trip I would greatly appreciate it. My list may seem long, but I wanted to make sure to be very specific.
What you are describing is not really metro DFW. It will be a lot easier and more affordable to find a place in the country with horses that is outside of commuting range of DFW. For example, what you describe sounds a lot like China Spring which is a suburban town outside of Waco and essentially a suburb of Waco. Excellent schools, lots of possibilities for country living and horses and prices far lower than comparable places would be within commuting distance of Dallas or Fort Worth. Yet China Spring is still only 1.5 hours from downtown Fort Worth. China Spring is where Ted Nugent chose to buy his ranch when he moved from Michigan to Texas. It's pretty rolling hills and very much like the Hill Country. Crawford where Bush had his ranch is the next town over but China Spring is nicer and prettier.

I guess it depends on your price range. Previous comments mentioned Southlake. Yes some people there have horses but we're talking about 1 million + dollar spreads. It is the most upscale suburb in the entire DFW area.

Old 02-03-2010, 11:39 AM

Thank you Texasdiver...my husband did mention Waco too. He thought it was really nice around that area. So if you lived in China Springs...would you work in Waco??

Old 02-03-2010, 12:15 PM

2,231 posts, read 3,499,802 times
Yes, my wife and I lived there 5 years and only recently moved closer in to the suburb of Woodway with the construction of a new hospital on the other side of town. My wife is a doctor and the new hospital was too far away for her to easily be on call at night.

There is a small unincorporated town of China Spring that is about 5 miles NW of Waco but around here when people say China Spring they are talking about all the rural and suburban land within the China Spring school district. Most of China Spring area is no more than 15 to 25 minutes drive to any part of Waco. From China Spring you are basically 20-25 minutes to all your malls, grocery stores, and places of employment within Waco. The great majority of China Spring residents work in Waco but there are a few that commute to as far away as Fort Worth or Austin. The Waco metro area is about 200,000 and growing and has one of the lower unemployment rates in Texas so it is as good a place as any to find work right now. Waco is 1.5 hours from Dallas/Fort Worth and 1.5 hours from Austin so it is exactly midway between the two. Houston and San Antonio are each 3 hours away.

Here in Texas there is endless amounts of rural land that will give you what you want. But school quality varies considerably. It is much more difficult to find rural land that is not too far from a city and that is in a good school district. China Spring fits that description. There are similar areas around Dallas/Fort Worth where you can get a rural lifestyle in a good school district that is not too far from the city. But it is going to be much more expensive. China Spring is a 3A school and one of the 3A football powers in this state. They go deep into the playoffs every year. In terms of school size, A 3A school means it has between about 500 and 950 students. 4A would be about 950 - 2050 students. And 5A would be over 2050 students. A 3A school is big enough that you're going to get things like AP classes and some diversity. But still small enough that your kids can do everything. In the really big schools only the most elite athletes ever make the varsity teams.

Go to realtor.com or other real estate web sites and and search properties in the 76633 zip code to see what China Spring is like. You'll find a mix of upscale suburban developments with large lots mixed in with lots of farms and rural lots. People have horses all over the place. Here are some examples of places in China Spring with enough acreage to have horses but you can go a lot cheaper

Moderator cut: no real estate links allowed

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 02-06-2010 at 02:19 AM..

Old 02-05-2010, 04:08 PM

WOW...those are some amazing homes...beautiful Thank you for the information on the schools as well...that is extremely helpful.

Old 02-10-2010, 11:08 PM

8,372 posts, read 8,440,546 times
Waco is okay but if you want to be close to a larger nicer city Fort Worth is it. All of the satellite cities of FW are exactly what you describe: Weatherford. Granbury. Cleburne. Mansfield. Decatur.
Now as for Texas.....it is a great place to live but you will miss California after a few years. Not right away. After a while you will tire of the weather. You will tire of the nice but not spectacular landscape. You will tire of the long distances to get somewhere else. But it is a place that is generally easier to make a living.

Old 02-11-2010, 08:01 AM

27,441 posts, read 44,934,740 times
check one of DFW local tv stations for pictures of the beautiful snow blanketing our metroplex--and more to come
this has been snowy winter but we do get cold patches normally where temps drop below freezing and stay there for days at a time..
our winters are messy, dark, cold and damp for the most part--
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or