Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 03:00 PM

24 posts, read 77,215 times

Advertisements

My husband and oldest son took a father-son vacation this past summer to Texas...visiting Dallas/Ft. Worth, Austin and Abilene. They loved it and so now we are renting an RV, packing up the family and heading out for spring break in March. From what my husband could tell in his short visit he thought we might like it around Ft. Worth...and from what I have been able to find out through the internet...Weatherford seems ideal for us.
We are a family of 5... we have 3 sons. I have 2 horses and would love to have them at home with me so I can wake up every morning with them outside my window. My husband enjoys golf, hiking and would love to start hunting. My boys are into sports of all kinds and just love being outside running around playing in the dirt.
Schools are important to us. Low crime is important. Friendly people would be awesome. We don't go out much...dinner and a movie is perfect. I do have a small ebay business so an outlet mall would be good as long as it is within an hour or so driving distance. My husband will need to find a job...he can sell anything so I'm hoping it won't be hard for him to find some type of job in sales.
We will probably want to rent for at least the first year or more. I would want to rent a home that has horse property...is that possible? Someplace with access to trails for riding and maybe hiking? Small town feel without being too isolated.
If anyone has any input on any places we should make sure to check-out on our trip I would greatly appreciate it. My list may seem long, but I wanted to make sure to be very specific.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 04:50 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
Weatherford will be GREAT for you!!!

Old 01-08-2010, 05:51 PM

1,379 posts, read 6,424,364 times
It depends on where you are from and what your expectations. We are from Northern California (Sacramento) to be exact. You can find some nice little four to five acre horse properties in North Fort Worth (look at Fossil Ridge Estates) that run around 400K to 600K depending upon what you are looking at...schools fall under Northwest ISD. We are in Northwest ISD and love it!

Hunting and all sorts of sports are available. Hiking really depends on what you are looking at but don't think of the foothills or the Sierra Nevadas or you will be disappointed. The closest thing I have found is Ruidoso, New Mexico or there are the Guadalaja Mountains west of San Antonio on the border.

If you have any specific questions...please let me know and I will be glad to help out!

Old 01-10-2010, 12:54 PM

20 posts, read 52,226 times
"California family wants to move to Texas"

You're not alone.

Old 01-10-2010, 05:34 PM

66 posts, read 143,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FERGUSONFAM5 View Post
We will probably want to rent for at least the first year or more. I would want to rent a home that has horse property...is that possible? Someplace with access to trails for riding and maybe hiking? Small town feel without being too isolated.
If anyone has any input on any places we should make sure to check-out on our trip I would greatly appreciate it. My list may seem long, but I wanted to make sure to be very specific.
i own a 2/1 2ac home out in the texAss country in johnson county near the brazos river. (google 76033-8348 area code) i'm going to move to florida. send me a private message and maybe we can work something out. if you like the area you can buy the house.

Old 01-11-2010, 08:22 AM

60 posts, read 252,779 times
Where do you live now ?

I think it all depends on what type of community you are coming from and what you want from the move.
Spend A LOT of time looking into EVERYTHING.

I came from SoCA (Orange County) and having lived here for 2 years. If you compare it to SoCA, some things are better (cheaper gas, housing, friendlier people overall, abilty to have lots of land) and some things are worse (roads, weather, crime, traffic on fwys, ave driving skills)

If you are coming from a large metro area in CA and live here for a while you will realize it is a very different culture. Some other neighbors from SoCA said it almost seems like a different country as SoCA is at the forefront of almost everything and very "get up and go" and wanting to get stuff done whereas here in TX it is more laid back and relaxed and a bit behind.

As many other have said before, RENT 1ST so you can decide if you like it and get time to get a REAL feel for it. Rent for at least 6 months

Last edited by ukaussi; 01-11-2010 at 08:31 AM..

Old 01-11-2010, 12:35 PM

We live in Fontana now. We grew up in the Claremont/Upland area. We are looking for a more laid back life...I'm tired of all the people here. I'm not your typical California girl I guess you could say. I love the country...I love horses...I love being outdoors. My idea of fun is being at home with my family...or dinner and a movie.
You mention the weather...as I look outside my window and it is 72 degrees outside with sunny blue skies...I know if we leave here we are leaving this wonderful weather. BUT...I think a little variety might be nice...how is the humidity? What don't you like about it?
We are a very conservative family with conservative values...so right now Texas is looking pretty good to us.

Old 01-11-2010, 03:24 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,883,491 times
look at Aledo, Annetta area. Justin, Haslet ,Rhome and up in ponder.

Weatherford is great!

I know there are neighborhoods in NWFt worth area (near Haslet) that are neighborhoods with 2-5 acre lots that are geared toward horse owners...horse trails in the area with acess to riding area so you don't have to trailer your horse.

Old 01-11-2010, 05:27 PM

Thank you for that information 5stones...I will make sure to check those areas out when we come for our visit.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:48 PM

7 posts, read 13,387 times
Smile R-Home in Rhome :)

Hi, I just finished reading your post, and I had to reply. I am currently thinking about listing our home on the market. We now have 5 kids and we need a 4-5 bedroom home. Our home is in a private subdivision in Rhome (NWISD). Our home is a 3 yr old GORGEOUS custom 3/2/3 on 5.4 acres. There are only 30 homes in the subdivision, and nearly everyone has horses, and 4-wheelers lol. We LOVE it here and hate to leave. If you are interested in our home, or have any other ??? let me know. Oh, and Grapevine has one of the best outlet malls in my opinion. It is a 30 min. drive from our home. There is ZERO Crime in our neighborhood, and we have the Best neighbors.
Best Wishes and Good Luck
Teresa C
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth