U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2010, 12:26 AM

43 posts, read 144,308 times

Advertisements

The way I see it, Arlington is a suburb of Fort Worth, not Dallas. It's in the same county, and the DFW Metroplex is split into two metropolitan divisions: Dallas-Plano-Irving and Fort Worth-Arlington. UTA has a department called the Fort Worth Center, dedicated to the development of Tarrant County/greater Fort Worth, including Arlington. (Needless to say, UTA does not have a Dallas Center.)

However, it seems that recently Dallas has been getting a lot of credit for Arlington. Prime example: the DALLAS Cowboys have recently relocated from Irving to Arlington. American Idol recently held auditions at Cowboys Stadium, but guess what city they said they visited? You guessed it, Dallas. A few years back, they came to Irving at the old Texas Stadium, and they accurately said that they visited (greater) Dallas. However, I think that this time they should have said they held auditions in (greater) Fort Worth, not Dallas.

So I have a question for Arlington residents: when you go out of town and people ask you where you're from, what do you say, Dallas or Fort Worth? If I lived in Arlington, I'd say Fort Worth. This is definitely the most accurate thing to do in my opinion, but I'm sure a lot of Arlingtonians say Dallas instead.

Just something I was curious about.

P.S. Isn't the Fort Worth Star-Telegram more widely read and distributed in Arlington than the Dallas Morning News? They have a special edition distributed in Arlington called the Arlington Star-Telegram, just like northeast Tarrant County has the Northeast Tarrant Star-Telegram.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2010, 08:54 AM

27,461 posts, read 44,959,956 times
you can buy either paper and there are people who get Dallas morning news home delivered--we used to get both papers for years--but there is not the local edition in tarrant county for dallas paper

frankly I think most people who live in arlington would probably say that is where they live IF they are talking to local people--
if they go out of state then the futher they go the more likely they would be to say either Dallas or FTW
we don't live in Arlington but in town to north--first Bedford, now Hurst--and when we travel out of state and people ask where we are from we usually say the DFW area--if they want more info we give the town and how far it is from DFW airport--that seems to be focal point for many people not from texas

Old 01-16-2010, 11:48 PM

43 posts, read 144,308 times
Thanks! Yeah, saying "Arlington" would be the most accurate thing to do local-wise, but I was talking about out of town.

This question can be extended to anyone living in Fort Worth suburbs, such as Grapevine, Colleyville, Keller, etc. What do y'all say when asked by non-locals?

Old 01-17-2010, 07:05 AM

394 posts, read 1,056,332 times
I live in Bedford and tell folks I'm from the "DFW area." If people try to pigeonhole me to Dallas, I usually correct them and say that we identify ourselves with Fort Worth.

I work in Arlington and Arlington is Arlington, neither Dallas nor Fort Worth.

My $0.02.

-Eric

Old 01-17-2010, 11:49 AM

3,084 posts, read 6,466,206 times
If I lived in Arlington I definitely say that's where I lived. It's not like it is a tiny town and gets lost amongst all the others. If I was speaking to people unfamiliar with the area I'd add that it's a large city in between Fort Worth and Dallas. If I didn't care whether or not about being specific then I'd say I lived in the Fort Worth area, which is what I do most of the time. I would never say I live in Dallas. That just makes no sense at all.

Old 01-19-2010, 06:08 AM

1,897 posts, read 2,851,276 times
for out of towners, i'll say Ft. Worth...but i always go on to mention that Arlington basically splits the DFW area.

mainly b/c i dislike dallas, and feel when i drive through most parts of dallas, i feel like i'm driving through california or something...and i've never been to california!

i heard something funny on the radio a while back...Dallas can be described as having the most $30k/year millionaires per capita than any other city! it's the place where you just get a feel that people are so materialistic and are stuck with keeping up with the "jones's"! i know, it's a huge stereotype, but really, i just get the feeling people in the Dallas area live well beyond there means...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth