U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2010, 03:22 PM

6 posts, read 20,127 times

Advertisements

Would love feedback....we are moving to Ft. Worth and am looking for a home that meets the following criteria

*small town with strong sense of community
*good high school - either public or christian
*houses with land 5> acres, farmette/ranch types
*ideally 40 minutes or less from Ft. Worth

Thank you...no one knows better than one who lives there!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2010, 08:43 PM

1,383 posts, read 2,997,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbtld View Post
Would love feedback....we are moving to Ft. Worth and am looking for a home that meets the following criteria

*small town with strong sense of community
*good high school - either public or christian
*houses with land 5> acres, farmette/ranch types
*ideally 40 minutes or less from Ft. Worth

Thank you...no one knows better than one who lives there!!
Decatur! It's a small town that is growing, but still has a small town feel. I don't actually live there, but I have some friends that I work with who live out there and they love it! I have gone out there several times to see them before and noticed how nice it is. There's Decatur ISD, which is a 3A school district. The schools are fairly new and are very good. My friend has a sophmore at Decatur High School, and he says that he loves it there. The housing is a mix of eveything. There is the typical subdivisions with small lots, larger subdivisions with larger lots, and then also a lot of farms and ranches with anywhere from 5 acres to who knows what. Also, it's abut 25 minutes from Ft. Worth. Hope this helps!

Old 01-16-2010, 11:00 PM

6 posts, read 8,942 times
I would suggest Grapevine or Granbury. Those have very nice, historical small downtown areas and they're both relatively close to Fort Worth.
Decatur has a great school system, but to me, it doesn't feel like a community the same way Grapevine or Granbury do.

Old 01-17-2010, 07:59 AM

9,505 posts, read 19,511,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAMFW View Post
I would suggest Grapevine or Granbury. Those have very nice, historical small downtown areas and they're both relatively close to Fort Worth.
Everything OP wants describes Grapevine EXCEPT the "houses with land" requirement. While there are still a few tracts of acreage here in Grapevine, they are few and far between, and don't come up for sale very often.

Old 01-17-2010, 11:23 AM

95 posts, read 221,731 times
Roanoke may be a possibility....

Old 01-17-2010, 11:30 AM

3,029 posts, read 10,446,196 times
Aledo too

Old 01-17-2010, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAMFW View Post
Decatur has a great school system, but to me, it doesn't feel like a community the same way Grapevine or Granbury do.
How on earth does Grapevine have a small town feel and sense of community?! Grapevine is a large suburb of Ft. Worth that is full of large housing developments with small lots, tons of retail, traffic, etc. The schools are a lot larger and DFW airport is right next door. Grapevine has a population of around 50K, where as Decatur has like 10-15K I think at most.

Granbury, although it is smaller like Decatur, has a lot of problems with crime and the schools. I have heard that the schools have a ton of problems with gangs and other stuff like that. The town square is the best thing about the town. Plus, Granbury is 45 minutes from Ft Worth, which is longer than the OP wants.

Old 01-17-2010, 12:30 PM

9,505 posts, read 19,511,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $DFW8$ View Post
How on earth does Grapevine have a small town feel and sense of community?! Grapevine is a large suburb of Ft. Worth that is full of large housing developments with small lots, tons of retail, traffic, etc. The schools are a lot larger and DFW airport is right next door. Grapevine has a population of around 50K, where as Decatur has like 10-15K I think at most.
Trust me, Grapevine does have that "small town feel and sense of community" for those of us who live here. The local community here is very active in community events, such as volunteering at Grapefest and Main Street Days, and events at Nash Farm. Many people (myself included) are active in local organizations and local politics. Most locals use the city parks, library, and community center. People who have kids in GCISD schools are usually very involved in their activities, too.

I know we do have a lot of shopping and restaurants, but that doesn't take away from our sense of community.

Old 01-17-2010, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Trust me, Grapevine does have that "small town feel and sense of community" for those of us who live here. The local community here is very active in community events, such as volunteering at Grapefest and Main Street Days, and events at Nash Farm. Many people (myself included) are active in local organizations and local politics. Most locals use the city parks, library, and community center. People who have kids in GCISD schools are usually very involved in their activities, too.

I know we do have a lot of shopping and restaurants, but that doesn't take away from our sense of community.
I know what you are saying, and I agree, but when you are sitting in traffic on 114 or 121 and you look to your left and right and see tons of restaurants and stores all around, the words "small town" don't come to my mind.

Old 01-17-2010, 04:08 PM

6 posts, read 20,127 times
Default Grapevine vs Decatur

I think the Decatur idea is more in line with what we are looking for. Have friends in Grapevine - it is lovely, but more suburban than we want. We now live in far west suburb of Chicago and grew up on farms...really desire the "hometown" feel you can get from more of a rural place. Thank you....and please keep the ideas coming. We just told our 8th grader about our move and the tears haven't stopped!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or