U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 09:29 PM

18 posts, read 63,536 times

Advertisements

I am looking for some opinions from some of you knowledgeable people in this forum. My wife and I are thinking about purchasing a home on Glade road in colleyville, and are wondering about the resale ramifications of being on Glade. As some of you may know, Glade is a relativly busy 2 lane road (35 MPH), and we are concerned that it may really turn off everyone when we try to sell the home in the future. Any opinions and/or comments would be greatly appreciated.

-Rhahman
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 05:50 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,099,362 times
I think that would be an asset (ie, less traffic, less congestion) rather than a detriment to selling a house there. I'd much rather live on a two lane road than a bustling four lane road or on a major highway.

Old 01-18-2010, 06:09 AM

9,522 posts, read 19,560,995 times
Is it ON Glade? I would worry about that, too. Eventually, Glade will probably be widened, and even now, it does have a lot of traffic on it at all times of the day. What does your realtor say? How far back does the house sit from the road?

Old 01-18-2010, 08:58 AM

3,084 posts, read 6,477,075 times
Glade Road is definitely full of traffic, especially during key times including rush hour, school arrival/dismissal times and early evening out times. That was not the road of choice for my husband as he traveled to work from NRH to Dallas and he was in the earliest part of rush hour where it wasn't so busy.

I'd say to consider how much it affects your decision to buy it and understand that many other people would feel the same way....good or bad.

Personally, I wouldn't likely buy a house on a street that busy unless the house was such a perfect fit for my family that it would outweigh the negative of the street.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:44 AM

27,607 posts, read 45,080,155 times
we had opportunity to buy lot that went up for sale on Glade about 3 yrs ago--almost a half acre but was direct frontage--we passed--someone bought it and built a really lovely (from the outside) two story home...
our realtor told us that Glade would probably be one of the last roads in Colleyville to be widened because the town council and people who live there really don't want to turn those e/w roads like Hall-Johnson or Lockett into 4 lane thoroughfares
a road like Cheek Sparger that gets tons of traffic daily borders Colleyville and Bedford and would take agreement by both town councils/citizens and three times since we move here over 25 yrs ago there have been attempts to do just that which have fallen through because people turned up to protest taking down trees or encouraging even more traffic by having wider roads...

frankly I would say it is a crap shoot--I did not want to deal with the traffic on daily basis--having to get out of your driveway at times can be a no-win situation--and if you have pets they better never get out of the yard/house...there are no sidewalks--and open drainage so there can be problems with erosion/flooding in bar-ditches from time to time--you see where some people have put large rocks/boulders in the ditches
your mail is delivered to box on Glade itself--there are people on Cheek Sparger who are on curve and their mailboxes are knocked down repeatedly by cars cutting too close--but I would also wonder about security risk--would definitely want a mail box that locks with drop at back going into bottom bin...

jogging, riding a bike, even walking is a very dangerous proposition along Glade although we do see people doing all of those when we drive on it from time to time...if you have small children frankly I would not consider it unless the house would have a large, gated driveway for them to ride their little vehicles vs in more conventional neighborhoods with sidewalks...
although lot of neighborhoods around here don't automatically HAVE sidewalks--
and there are NO STREETLIGHTS which might seem insignificant but it has a dampening effect on appearance really so to me it is not a "neighborhood" per se where people really congregate and see their neighbors
the intersection of Glade and 26 is very busy due to the businesses in the area--further east or west it becomes less busy but it is a cut-through that people use all the time...
do yourself a favor and go there at different times of the day/night and just park close and listen/look at what goes on...
guess it depends on your tolerance
BUT I definitely think it will affect the price/desireability of your house--
Glade will never be zoned for anything but residential if it is away from the main intersections like 26 and 121 so you won't have to worry about cluster building of those professional blds or restaurants--and some of the older homes have been taken down for the MacMansions so it can be a jumble of types...

Last edited by loves2read; 01-18-2010 at 09:52 AM..

Old 01-18-2010, 10:40 AM

Thank you all for your posts. This forum is great. Your inputs really help a lot. The portion of Glade the house is on has a sidewalk on the southside (the opposite side of the street from the house), so that is a positive. The set back is 40 ft, so that is normal, but could be seen as a negative. The lot size is .5 acres, and the majority of it is in the back, which is good and bad. It would allow for kids to play back there, but at the same time does not give us a nice 60ft setback from the street. We are thinking that if we purchase the home, we would add a wrought iron fence in front. The back is completely fenced off from the street, so that is nice. Inside the house, the street can not be heard, so that is nice. We are just concerned I guess. We don't mind the home being on Glade, and we actually like the part of glade that it is on, but we don't want to get it, and then never be able to sell. We don't know if it would deter 90% of potential buyers, or 50%, or 20%. Thanks for your inputs.

loves2read, I think I know the home you are talking about with the half acre lot. It looks very nice from the outside. The home we are thinking about is very close to that home. Small world. We agree, it doesn't look like Glade will be expanded any time soon. They re-did the portion of glade closer to 121, and kept it 2 lanes, so I think it will be 2 lanes for a while. Also, the population of Colleyville is not growing much at all, so there should not be much of an increase in traffic flow....I think

Old 01-19-2010, 09:43 AM

436 posts, read 1,411,648 times
from what I understand, the residents that live on/near glade have been fighting for years to *not* get it widened. even the pleas of "emergency vehicles can't get through easily" did not convince them. so, it may be widened one day, as mentioned, but it will be a fight.

Old 01-21-2010, 03:07 PM

54 posts, read 126,066 times
So did you decide to buy it?

I don't think I would want to live on Glade. There is a lot of traffic on that road.

Living on a dead end road or culdesac is the best! imo.

Old 01-29-2010, 12:25 PM

Well,

The home is still for sale, and unfortunately we are still undecided. I would much rather lose a house we are not certain about, than buy a house that we regret getting in the future. We currently live in the area, so we asked some friends who live in Colleyville if they would consider buying a home on Glade, and from that and other opinions from co-workers, we were pretty optimistic about the house. We were actually pretty close to making an offer, when I made the mistake of asking one more person their opinion. I talked to my boss, who lives in Colleyville, and knows the exact house I am talking about. He said that if Glade stayed as is, he would not have a problem living on it, BUT, he was very sure that it would be widened in the near future, and so for that reason he would not live on it. I had my own opinions about Glade being widened, but he kind of put some doubt into my mind. So, now that is the only real issue we have. It's funny, I pride myself in not caring what others think, but in this case, due diligence would dictate that I care very much what others think, since I intend on selling the home sooner or later.

Any other opinions on Glade being widened?

-Rhahmanlm

Old 01-29-2010, 02:03 PM

3,029 posts, read 10,458,907 times
I haven't weighed in yet...
but I was just on Glade the other day and noticed that there were quite a few older home for sale. Old timers seem to have more insight (be "in the know" so to speak) so, yes they may know of rumblings about when Glade will widened and want to unload property before the Offical Plans come out.

I do beleive with Growth in this area and increased traffic, yes Glade will be widened someday.
It is p[osted 35...but rarely do I see drivers going 35 (only in school zones) it seems that traffic flows around 40.

I also have a rule of thumb when buying a house. I will NOT ever look at a house on a street painted with a double yellow line. No matter what the speed limit is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth