U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 08:07 AM

19 posts, read 30,612 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone. We are switching courses and taking your advice to take time to discover the area a bit prior to committing to a home.

Can you please recommend some apartments/townhome places for the interim?

We will probably have to significantly increase our house spend to nearly $400k to get ideally what we want, and that is ok but in that case we need to take the purchase a bit more seriously.

For now, we will rent prior to purchase. Thanks for your help!
Casey
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 10:07 AM

394 posts, read 1,056,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseyR View Post
We will probably have to significantly increase our house spend to nearly $400k to get ideally what we want, and that is ok but in that case we need to take the purchase a bit more seriously.
You know, I wanted to mention to you earlier that - in my home search - the homes at or below $299K were so markedly inferior (in attention to detail, fixtures, carpet, appliances, fencing and layout) to the homes starting at about the $350K threshold that just to stretch the finances (if possible) to $350K, it honestly opens up a world of difference. I know that you can find everything you want just south of $400K... and I am certain that you'll be happy - if that extra money doesn't add any stress to you or your family.

Earlier you said that your budget was $200K and I wouldn't want anyone to exceed their budget. It's sad, but 100% true that money changes everything and that is a stress you really don't want in your life.

Now, enjoy the entire process. I actually miss it (looking at home after home and imagining what our lives would be like in that home/community/town).

During our search, we lived off of Riverside Pkwy in aparatments that had garages, west of 360 and just north of Arlington. That area provides good access to NE Tarrant County. Lots of apartment in that area and there are also lots of apartments with 2-car garages off of Green Oaks Blvd in N. Arlington. There is no shortage of apartments! Renting is definitely a low risk option.

Welcome!

-Eric

Last edited by Eric S; 01-21-2010 at 10:08 AM.. Reason: grammar

Old 03-26-2010, 11:31 AM

Hi - Haven't been back in a while but still looking around.

Anyone familiar with the Lakes of Stone Glen? Any nice apts in Keller?

Thanks again!

Old 03-29-2010, 12:48 PM

394 posts, read 1,056,552 times
I haven't any idea, but will post anyway to give your thread a "bump" so that it may get more notice. It's been pretty slow lately.

-Eric

Old 04-04-2010, 07:52 PM

137 posts, read 319,834 times
Quote:
Hi - Haven't been back in a while but still looking around.

Anyone familiar with the Lakes of Stone Glen? Any nice apts in Keller?

Thanks again!
Have you been to the apartment complex? I just returned from there and I went to visit that apartment community..... It is one that I am seriously considering myself. Seems like a nice area. Gated community-nice apartments. Not huge...but do-able. Leasing staff very helpful and residents were actually striking up conversation with me while I was there. People seemed very friendly.

I really liked that area. Had a country feel to me - some very nice houses in the area. Millionaire style. Of course, I ended up in Southlake at some point without realizing it....

Old 04-05-2010, 07:28 AM

369 posts, read 1,564,938 times
For the past few months, we were on a house hunt, I mean, if you can do it, now is the time to be considering picking up a deal.

My mother was in home builder lending (the builders have to finance, too) for 20+ years 'till her bank went under. She knows it quite well, and said "avoid D.R. Horton at all costs...the walls don't meet the floor..." Sometimes it really is too good of a deal. The cost savings comes from somewhere.

Had you not mentioned them, I'd not have said anything, but my mom knows her stuff when it comes to builders and problems. This was the only one which she said to avoid.

It's a challenge, sometimes, discovering who built a house in an established neighborhood, but in our case, we went with a couple of year old Perry home because it was obviously built more than decently and the floorplan was what we were looking for. A price of $55/sq. ft. didn't hurt matters one bit, either.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:29 AM

Thank you Mckellyb! Appreciate the insight. Wish we could buy something off the bat, but not knowing the area is throwing me. My friends in Keller said they wished they had purchased in Heritage. Anyone feel the same way. Frankly, we'd rather have our own pool - not into the community thing..personal preferance.

Old 04-07-2010, 04:22 PM

12,482 posts, read 8,513,414 times
Quote:
We are moving to the Fort Worth area this summer and have several friends who live in Keller. Wondering what the best areas are as well as who the best builders are in the area.

Have been to Southlake several times and love that area as well.

Have heard to stay east of 377 and to stay in Tarrant County. We are a couple in our mid-30s without kids so the school districts don't much matter at this time.

Also, any great builders? Only seeing DR Horton Subdivisions. They look very nice. Want to get the most bang for our modest buck.

Thanks for any help and advice you can give.
Casey and Tim
where are you going to work. Keller can be a long way out.that area also ha snightmare traffic on texas moto speedway race weekends

Old 04-07-2010, 07:51 PM

14 posts, read 19,887 times
Heritage is nice. I think we'll be looking there when we make the move from Saginaw to somewhere closer to Roanoke for work.

I like Heritage because it's clean, new and not very crowded. It's a very nice area to drive through and it appears to be pretty walkable, which is a must, being from the East Coast. I think it'll be on our short list when we buy.

There are nice apartments at 35 and North Tarrant Pkwy. I also liked the Ranch at Fossil Creek, which is nearby and very affordable. We stayed there short-term in corporate housing and it was very comfortable and convenient to the area. You might also look at the Eagle Mountain area - they have some nice apartments right on the lake that are in a really nice spot.

Old 04-10-2010, 07:31 PM

27,501 posts, read 44,973,761 times
Eagle Mtn Lake area can be a real pain to get in/out of though--the roads in that area are often just two lanes, no passing, no stop lights at intersections...and on weekends you get people with boats...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or