U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 08:11 PM

41 posts, read 303,976 times

Advertisements

Thank you so much for the wealth of information artcgal. I will definitely look into all of the wonderful information you provided me. I like the idea of living in a downtown area, it would be reminiscent of NYC lifestyle. I will also look into the teaching opportunities. Keller ISD seems like a pretty good school system.

I truly appreciate your help beowulf7 especially from a northeasterner perspective. Thanks for your input ChristieP on the University of Texas at Arlington. The tuition for an out of state resident is definitely cheaper than SMU's and TCU's tuition and the university is ranked among the national universities, I will definitely take a look at UT-Arlington.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2007, 02:21 PM

1 posts, read 1,468 times
Default move to dallas

would you consider working for a family in dallas

as a in house teacher for 3 children

we would alos have an apt in our house for you to live

dave@robertsdds.com

we are 15 min north of smu

Old 12-13-2007, 10:04 PM

4,831 posts, read 6,047,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazymack View Post
Thank you loves2read so much for your reply. I had a hunch that my educational/tutoring business idea wouldn't be a rarity, I think I will squash that idea. I was also thinking of providing early intervention services to developmentally delayed preschoolers and having the state pay since part of my teacher's license will be in special education and the other mathematics. But this might not be an option as well.

I have been a slave to the USNews rankings and I've considered SMU and TCU because these schools are nationally recognized. In fact they are ranked in the Top 105 of national universities. I know rankings can be rather ridiculous to follow and a solid education from anywhere should be more important.

However, I attended an unknown Christian liberal arts school for my first bachelor's and I felt it really didn't prepare students to attend professional school in medicine and law or the "real world" for that matter. The institution only seem to encourage students to work in church ministry, missionary work and education. I majored in Computer Science and have yet to do anything with the degree. So I felt my education never really paid off. I also believe if later down the road, if I chose to leave Texas and relocate to yet another state, the school that I attended will be known.

I was already accepted by Drexel University in Philadelphia and offered a Dean's Scholarship with a contribution of about $10,000 to attend. I feel a bit uneasy for leaving NYC to Philly because I feel like I moving to a crime ridden slum. I've read in the paper the other day, that the crime rate is getting out of hand there. The school is also on a quarter system with rigid times for class meetings, which might be inflexible to working some hours.

I was also admitted to George Washington University in DC, which I happen to like a lot and waiting for a financial aid package. It also concerns me the rents are expensive in DC/MD/VA, if I decide to go there I would have to consider a share. I'm not too fond of that idea but might have to do what I have to do.

I grew up in a very urban area (which happens to be a gentrifying area right now - Bed-Stuy/Clinton Hill area of Brooklyn, NYC - maybe bad time to leave, lol) and I'm trying to escape the blight, hardships, and stress to inexpensive greener pastures. Haha, what a fantasy idea, huh.

I applied to SMU and TCU hoping that I get a scholarship due to my extensive educational background. Since, I heard they award merit money. If they don't offer adequate aid, then forget about it.

Loves2read, I truly appreciate that you have brought up some other names of schools in the surrounding areas of Dallas-Fort Worth with good health professional programs. It would be ideal if I start school this fall. For the state schools, you mentioned like Texas Woman's and UT-Arlington, I can gladly consider membership in an honors program of some sort -- if they award students 'out of state' tuition waivers and/or merit aid based on membership then it could be a viable option.

One of my main reason for considering Texas because of home ownership, I wouldn't like money to be thrown away in rent. But if the taxes are too high then I might have to reconsider.
My daughter went to TCU and loved it. She now teaches in Fort Worth and is having her student loans paid off. She teaches in a very poor school district and because of that her loans are being paid off. I think it is called the apple program and if I am not mistaken it is a federal program.

She chose TCU because of their generous grants and the small college feel. It may be more expensive now since she graduated 4-5 years ago but it is still a great deal for the quality education she got. Another plus about TCU is that she had a teaching job as soon as she wanted to teach in Texas. She tried to get a full time teaching job in CA and finally gave up.

The pay for teachers in Texas is also excellent, especially compared to CA. She has been teaching for 2 years now and makes $42,000. Considering no state income taxes and the cost of living that equates to easily $50,000+ compared to CA.

Old 12-15-2007, 10:26 AM

6,585 posts, read 22,384,279 times
Wow, I can't imagine owning a house, but not owning a car in the DFW area. That seems backwards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or