U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2010, 01:02 PM

1,628 posts, read 5,773,289 times

Advertisements

I'm pretty clear on my Dallas options, but we have the choice of Fort Worth too (commuting not an issue). With about a $800K-$1.2Million budget, what would some of the areas be? I like big trees, neighborhood feel, lots of kids, quiet streets. I like the idea of Ft. Worth being more of a "cowboy town" than Dallas so would like to look into it a bit. How are the schools in areas like this?Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 08:57 PM

165 posts, read 331,272 times
Fort Worth is bigger than a lot of people think it is and consists of an urban tapestry of many neighborhoods. Each neighborhood has it's own characteristics and amenities. Some of the older Fort Worth neighborhoods have exactly the kind of feel described in your post, namely, large, trees-shaded lots, pedestrian-friendly, and safe for children. Mistletoe Heights, Berkeley, Fairmount, are mature neighborhoods with historic charm. Then again if urban living is not your style, suburbs and exurbs extend in all directions to the far horizon. With a budget up to 1.2 million you can pretty much live anywhere you want in this City or its suburbs. That kind of money would also buy you some decent acreage in the rural areas outside the city.

My spouse and I have lived for the past 20 years in the historic Samuels Avenue neighborhood now rebranded as "Trinity Uptown". We have a beautiful half-acre lot with twenty 100+ year old native oak trees, a 121 year old historic house, and raised our two children here to adulthood. Just a dozen years ago I would have suggested a lot of other neighborhoods were safer, but now the most expensive condo project in Fort Worth has been built on the street (Villa De Leon) and substantial redevelopment is on-going. With the future Trinity River Vision to create a town lake underway, this will be one of the most exciting parts of downtown in a few years but it still retains a rural feel to it. We walk to central downtown on a regular basis and are only a few blocks northeast of the courthouse. Neighborhood property values since redevelopment arrived about 5 years ago have increased 25 times as much or more then they were when we moved to the neighborhood in 1989. If you are interested, PM me and I'll be happy to show you around our neighborhood. I also know of a couple of historic homes for sale. (including ours, which is realtor listed) We've lived in the Dallas area (Garland) and would never consider trading living in Fort Worth for Dallas. Fort Worth has a slower pace of living than Big "D" and our Fort Worth friendliness is legendary. Fort Worth is still the biggest small town in the country and proud of it. Good luck with your house search, Fort Worth will not disappoint you.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:35 PM

1,628 posts, read 5,773,289 times
Thank you! This is a great starting point for me. I'm not looking for suburbs...if I can't find what I'd like downtown in Dallas or Ft. Worth, I would consider them but I would (much!) rather not. I'd like to be in an area with a lot of character, history, and charm. I will do some research on the areas you've mentioned!

Old 01-22-2010, 08:10 AM

27,442 posts, read 44,934,740 times
I will PM you what I think is the best organized, thorough MLS site -- that does not require giving any info to just search

Old 01-22-2010, 09:57 AM

1,064 posts, read 3,021,094 times
I agree with Vintrest, there are some beautiful homes in the areas he/she mentioned. I am originally from Southlake and while I loved living/growing up there, it is too cookie cutter if you are not into that type of housing. (I probably am going to get flamed for that). I, like you, love older homes with character and large trees. I am not 100% sure but the schools in that area would be Paschal or Arlington Heights. I think Paschal is a good school, I have 2 college friends that are teachers there and they love it. I don't know much about Arlington Heights anymore. My cousin liked it when she was there but I think it has changed quite a bit since the late 90's. There are some private schools too. Fort Worth Country Day and Trinity Valley are the first that come to mind. My husband and I were looking into homes in the Ryan Place/Berkley Heights area but his job was moved further away from FW than we anticipated. Good luck with the search!

Old 01-22-2010, 12:19 PM

32 posts, read 73,134 times
We have temp housing near a place called Overton Woods located off of Bellaire S. You may want to look into it. Now I know nothing about the area only the fact I walked through it and it has character in the homes (a few new and some older), quiet, spacious home sites and BEAUTIFUL trees. GL!

Old 01-23-2010, 12:37 AM

27,442 posts, read 44,934,740 times
Arlington Heights is not a high school that has aged well
current TAKS rating is UN-acceptable

Old 01-24-2010, 09:44 PM

91 posts, read 306,524 times
I was just looking for an in town neighborhood, but my price range is lower than your range. I liked the feel of Mistletoe Heights and Berkeley for the lower price ranges, but I did notice that Forest Park Area or some of the blocks N of TCU have outstanding period homes on .5 acre lots with all of the amenities expected in a luxury home. Many homes in the $600k to $1.5 mil. range. Nice tree lined streets-close to many private school and magnet school options. Downtown, Museum district and lots of restaurants within close distance. Good luck!

My hubby and I enjoyed stopping by Central Market in town, above and beyond a Whole Foods gig and the friendly FW folks just made a great lunch stop for us.

Joe T Garcias for mexican food if you are stopping in to town for a visit.

Old 01-25-2010, 12:09 AM

73 posts, read 227,160 times
I agree w/ gogogo - check around TCU. Berkeley, Colonial, Forest Park, Overton...I wish I had a little more loot...

Old 01-25-2010, 05:17 AM

91 posts, read 306,524 times
There are several excellent private schools in the area and the public schools in that area look solid through 6th grade (clayton, tanglewood, mclean 6th, etc.) according to tea and greatschools.net.

What do I know, I am still sorting it out myself?!? If anyone has scoop on the magnet system, how to apply and how easy or difficult it is to get in, please let me know. Thanks! Have a good one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or